• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Rule Suggestion Regarding Feat Citations

I'm in agreement with the OP but I'm curious about Dargoo's idea too. I'll wait to see his example blog he's been working on since I think it could solve many of our issues, including repeated threads asking for justifications regarding a certain ability or feat.

It might be hard for new users, and thus increase our clean-up workload, yes. I doubt here're many people who had to deal with references on other wikis before. On the other hand, if our members learn how to deal with them, such a section might be useful for those who think «In which chapter/episode character X has shown feat Y and power Z?».

As for longer references lists, I'd like to suggest spliting them up into two parts where e.g. on the left will be the first 10 references, and on the right will be the last 10 ones. It's so on Wikipedian pages with 100+ references.

I don't want to personally hold this thread up, so if we're fine with refining references for now I can re-open this later with a link to my proposal.

We can upload scans as just images on the wiki.

I'm aware; that's why I'm suggesting a page (think like a gallery) to host them.

Can't we just encourage the users to push the lengthy explanations to the Explanations section? It even exists in our Standard Format for Character Profiles for something!

The way it's described on the Standard Format seems too broad.

This section can be used to explain the reasons for the assigned power level of a certain character more in-depth, as well as how the powers and nature of the character fundamentally work.
I'm not aiming to explain the fundamentals of a character or verse; blogs and explainations does that already. I'm aiming to reference/source very specific feats and abilities.

Firstly, users will upload images to the wiki, then in references the hypertext links will be given to them in the form of either Reference text or a direct link.

You mean linking to images in references? I guess that could work, but poses the same issues I pointed out with references above.

My apologies, but I am not willing to clear that we create extra pages connected to thousands of profiles just to host references. It is far too impractical and unconventional.

References list at the bottom of the original pages give an easier overview and automatically redirect any visitor that clicks on a reference link within a profile to its place in the list.

Again, I don't mean to be rude, but I think that your suggestion is a bad idea, and would much prefer if you permanently drop this issue.

Thank you for being reasonable. Again, my apologies if I was being rude.

Wikipedia uses several different types of reference lists, so I think that those options should probably be available to us as well.

I return to work on the references! I'll update my draft accordingly to the standard character profile's current revision and I will try to clarify the use of references, like how the animation, comics, book and etc.'s scene can be referenced to.

I personally agree with keeping references on everything. Having had to go through several dozens of Superman stories I learned the importance of needing to reference what and when these feats happen, lest we lead to the jumble of feats threads seen in Comicvine with no context

The references section seems like a fine idea. Just dropping in here to say that I've already started essentially doing what the OP's suggesting for novel-based verses I'm working on, here's an example. But I think that method's rather impractical for movie, TV, and video game verses.

I've implemented references in a number of profiles to showcase how they can be used in a way that isn't too intrusive to the page itself, while also condensing lengthy explanations by giving direct links to text/scans.

Armsmaster, Richard Spender, Grue (Worm), Alexandria (Worm), and Isabel Guerra have all been decked out.

I intend to do the same for Overwatch profiles, alongside the rest of the Paranatural/Parahumans profiles.

@Dargoo

I think that it looks good. Thank you for helping out.

Back