• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

"Resisting" abilities, but not really

EliminatorVenom

VS Battles
Thread Moderator
I have a weird question.

Once again, I am most familiar with this from the Fallen London verse, but this also applies to many others, such as Hyperion Cantos. There are certain moments that the characters are put in certain situations that, for example, severely warp time and space, and while they get really screwed up by it, such as getting terribly nauseous and feeling the distortion of space and having their perception of time utterly destroyed for the moment, they do not actually die from it, nor receive any real injury. There are other moments that are similar to those, and show that even random people in the verse that by no mean show any unusual resistance otherwise, once again, get really screwed up by these effects but not actually get physically hurt. Heck, sometimes it seems that the ability should absolutely destroy them, with descriptions and/or images of the characters being torn apart - but they are either reformed, mostly unharmed, by the end of it.

So, my question is if getting severely inconvenienced by these events, but not actually physically wounded, actually upgrade said characters to having a resistance to those abilities? After all, it could just be that said space-time distortions, as in the example, are not lethal. (as they don't necessarily need to be)

But at the same time, it is jarring to see characters that get crushed by paradoxes, experience multiple moments in time at the same time and even manage to get into situations that utterly disrespects the laws of reality (such as two things occupying the same space at the same time) and not get erased by it.

This question might be actually twofold; there's the one I originally asked, and a new one: If getting severely inconvenienced, but not actually dying from something that absolutely should kill you in 95% other fictional universes or by logic (such as, again, getting screwed up by paradoxes) actually grants resistance to something?

i think in this case, the most safe bet is that those abilities and the verse's way of dealing with those situations is non-lethal debuffing, it could be used as a exxageration to show how weird such a experience would be without it being lethal to others

If an ability, let's say, killed 2 out of 10 people, harmed 5 others, and 3 other remained unharmed, and there's no reason to believe 8 of them are resistent, or 2 are weak and other 3 resistent, to the power (ie, they are just other people within the crowd), we just assume the ability work that way and no one gains any particular power. The reason why this happens can be any, in the case of spatial-temporal warp, may some rift manifested randomly, of the potency of the rift varies, or even that the rift has a delay and some people noticed it and avoided it, or a combination of the other three.

Back