• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Resistance to piercing damage is by technicality, having higher lifting strength.

Let me explain, piercing damage is essentially an attack that transfers a higher compressive force onto a target body that has a lower innate compressive strength which leads to structural failure and hence damage is dealt. Would this be true?

This just sounds like how much force your body can withstand without being damaged. Size wouldn't really change anything if we look at it this way as compressive strength of materials remain consistent throughout regardless of size. The only thing that would change is the force required to break it.

That said, the wiki is quite strict with how lifting strength is applied. Just because you can withstand a force acting on your body doesn't mean you can exert that force with your hands. It would be a different case if you kept your footing against a massive projectile or instantly halted a small projectile with a hand or finger. But this is acting as if you can survive 500 tons sitting on top of you (and you're pinned down by its weight) equating to being able to lift it up with your hands. All this means is your body can survive these levels of force without taking damage, which you can just convert to joules for durability.

This just sounds like how much force your body can withstand without being damaged. Size wouldn't really change anything if we look at it this way as compressive strength of materials remain consistent throughout regardless of size. The only thing that would change is the force required to break it.
True but lifting strength does not involve damaging anyone, just incap currently.
That said, the wiki is quite strict with how lifting strength is applied. Just because you can withstand a force acting on your body doesn't mean you can exert that force with your hands. It would be a different case if you kept your footing against a massive projectile or instantly halted a small projectile with a hand or finger. But this is acting as if you can survive 500 tons sitting on top of you (and you're pinned down by its weight) equating to being able to lift it up with your hands. All this means is your body can survive these levels of force without taking damage, which you can just convert to joules for durability.
To reduce the complexity of the matter we will assume the character does not budge from the amount of force acting on him.

To reduce the complexity of the matter we will assume the character does not budge from the amount of force acting on him.
No person is going to budge from something as small as a bullet acting on them due to how small it is. Since a bullet only hits such a small area, people don't "budge" when hit from it outside of it penetrating their body. The bullet would have to be substantially large before it could push them off their feat. I would like to note though that I think the real life formula from breaking stuff is a LOT different than how we calculate breaking stuff.

If a bullet the size of a human launches into a person with the same speed as an actual bullet, then yeah, that'd require a lot of lifting strength to not budge from. Likewise, stopping a bullet with a hand/finger and not budging even an inch would likely take a good amount of lifting strength. But I don't think a bullet actually has the force to push an entire human body. Typically they just go through.

A punch would also have force, so would an explosion, an energy beam that does collateral damage, or ballistics. But none of those have anything to do with lifting strength
Okay, let's put it like this. If a person of average weight gets shot with an anti tank round at point blank and it doesn't leave a mark nor knocks the person back. Wouldn't that be lifting strength?
No person is going to budge from something as small as a bullet acting on them due to how small it is. Since a bullet only hits such a small area, people don't "budge" when hit from it outside of it penetrating their body. The bullet would have to be substantially large before it could push them off their feat. I would like to note though that I think the real life formula from breaking stuff is a LOT different than how we calculate breaking stuff.
Reason why it doesn't push the person to begin with, is because it acts on a tiny area of the body. If that area doesn't have the strength required to deal with it, naturally the bullet would simply plow through and end up embedding itself deep or even exit through the other side.
If a bullet the size of a human launches into a person with the same speed as an actual bullet, then yeah, that'd require a lot of lifting strength to not budge from. Likewise, stopping a bullet with a hand/finger and not budging even an inch would likely take a good amount of lifting strength. But I don't think a bullet actually has the force to push an entire human body. Typically they just go through.

Okay, let's put it like this. If a person of average weight gets shot with an anti tank round at point blank and it doesn't leave a mark nor knocks the person back. Wouldn't that be lifting strength?
Personally I would think so, yeah. Because in that case, it would transfer a SHIT ton of horizontal momentum into the person. So if they don't even move an inch or barely skid back, they would need to be exerting a lot of force in their legs to hold their position. Though I'm not sure if the wiki would consider this? I personally would.
Reason why it doesn't push the person to begin with, is because it acts on a tiny area of the body. If that area doesn't have the strength required to deal with it, naturally the bullet would simply plow through and end up embedding itself deep or even exit through the other side.
I also think bullets generally don't carry enough force/momentum to push a person any meaningful distance. A hand? Definitely. But an entire person? Not sure. Maybe a 50. Cal, but something like a standard handgun I think wouldn't.

Back