• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Removing Fear Manipulation from the Narutoverse

Status
Not open for further replies.
changing fear and madness manip to Social Influencing seems fine to me .

But i would still like to see the raws translated, for the sasuke/orochimaru statements.

Discripences was due to the relatively low quality of the scan + translation applications failing to capture some characters to diferent extent.

Anyways, the forum translation is out, and what Orochimaru does is just bloodlust/killing intent with no Genjutsu involved. Remember kids, Viz is reliable by default. When it differes with fan translation, there is no cause to be suspect.
…幻術…!-?

ぐっ…
うおえっ……

イヤ…
…これは
ただの殺気だ…

何てことだめ…
奴の目を見ただけで…
死をイメージさせられたの……!!

な……
何者だ…
コイツ…!!

サクラ...

ダメだ!
ここは逃げるしか……

そうしなければ……

死しかない…

クク...
もう 動けまい

恐怖を痛みで消し去るためにとっさに自分の体を傷つけるとはね...

フフ......
やっぱり ただの
獲物じゃないわね...

...Genjutsu...!?

Kuh,
oooohhh...

No...
...This is just bloodlust...

What is this!
Just looking into his eyes...
makes me want to die!!

Ugh...
What in the hell...
Is this guy!!

Sakura...

No, no no!
Not here! We have to get out of here!

If we don't...

We will die!!

Kuku.
Seems you can't move anymore.

To think you would quickly harm yourself just to get rid of the fear...

Fufu...
I knew you weren't just prey.

For people saying that Aura that makes cocky mercenaries mocking a crippled man terrified is social influencing, what does charisma have to do with this feat?

None of this is fear manipulation. That's just people pissing their pants at fighting intimidating opponents.

Like if i see a lion walk up to me off course im going to shit my pants and get scared.

I concede to the Orochimaru point, then.
However, you have yet to debunk my other points. Literally, every other example is just people being scared of a scary or a dangerous thing.

Discripences was due to the relatively low quality of the scan + translation applications failing to capture some characters to diferent extent.

Anyways, the forum translation is out, and what Orochimaru does is just bloodlust/killing intent with no Genjutsu involved. Remember kids, Viz is reliable by default. When it differes with fan translation, there is no cause to be suspect.

For people saying that Aura that makes cocky mercenaries mocking a crippled man terrified is social influencing, what does charisma have to do with this feat?
Same deal sasuke is just intimidated. He thought the fear was coming from genjustu but that's just his own anxiety. Kakashi literal tells him to calm down moments later and he snaps out of. If it was pure fear hax he would not be able to break and others would be affected not just him

Add to fact their literally in his fog justu and hes telling them has gonna cutt them to pieces

The orochimaru stuff isn't even viz translations

Sure, Shinobi, such as Kakashi, randomly get visions due to anxiety where they brutally die, and get stunned with fear as they prepare to fight.

None of this is fear manipulation. That's just people pissing their pants at fighting intimidating opponents.
What do you call the ability to release bloodlust aura that makes people afraid?

Like if i see a lion walk up to me off course im going to shit my pants and get scared.
What was Orochimaru's and Zabuza's demonstration of strength?
Like, they have no prior experience dealing with people who stare at them?

However, you have yet to debunk my other points. Literally, every other example is just people being scared of a scary or a dangerous thing.
The mercenaries were mocking crippled Zabuza because he does not look dangerous at all.
All Orochimaru did was stare, against opponents who were moments ago preparing to fight with lethal force, so he normally doesn't look scary. Certainly not to the point of paralysis and visions of death. He is not an eldritch being.

Same deal sasuke is just intimidated. He thought the fear was coming from genjustu but that's just his own anxiety. Kakashi literal tells him to calm down moments later and he snaps out of. If it was pure fear hax he would not be able to break and others would be affected not just him
So in order for bloodlust aura to qualify as Fear Hax, no character should be able to resist it and it should affect everyone equally?

Fear Manipulation, otherwise known as Fear Inducement is the ability in which to inflict a level of "fear" on the target using supernatural means. Depending on the severity of the fear, the user can use this to manipulate the target, incapacitate them or simply drive them insane.

It should be noted simply terrorizing the opponent either by authority, strength or demeanour only would qualify as Social Influencing, as Fear Manipulation would allow the user to inflict fear regardless of these factors.
And, before you argue this; they were not supernaturally filled with fear by his aura, they are frightened by the sight of his aura. He was clearly bloodlusted from the get-go, but the only one who was terrified before he popped the big ol' creep aura was Gato. And this was a natural response to watching the man with no functioning arms slaughter half of your group and then decapitate with your boss with a knife between his teeth. These are not examples of Fear Manipulation at all; these are people being scared of things they know can kill them. What's next? Do we give real life animals Fear Manipulation because people are scared of them?
in case you didn't know, fear manipulation is where a character literally manipulates fear, y'know to typically scare their opponents, through means of not just intimidation...

For example, this, these two, and a whole lot of these are all Fear Manipulation.

The authority, previously displayed strength, and demeanour is ineffective. As evidenced by Sasuke being prepared to fight Orochimaru before the killing intent, Kakashi almost using Chidori on Orochimaru before the killing intent, and the mercenaries mocking crippled Zabuza before the killing intent. Aura and killing intent are well established super power and mystical tropes, and don't require charisma.

by your own logic, the below is just social influencing:
Slader_using_Overpower_for_the_first_time.png

They are just being scared of his strength and demenor, and they are surprised by the creepy aura (which they might or might not see).

By definition, Fear Manipulation is intimidation. But it is not done through social means, such as with social influencing.

Can we just get a staff member on this. This seems less like a battle of evidence, and more like a battle of interpretations of an ability.

I'm confused dosen't sasuke vs orochimaru verbatim say it isn't a genjutsu? The orochimaru one should definitely stay

Reactions: Rez
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back