• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Regarding Translations

Okay. No offense intended. Let's all try to keep things nice and calm here. Thank you.

Guys I get it...

If ignoring them was being rude more so than repeatedly saying "no" then again, I apologize.

No problem at all. Again, your help is very appreciated.

@Antvasima.

Understood. I just thought that something very lengthy may clog up the thread due to it's legnth. Maybe long requests should be made on our message walls then?

Creating blogs for long translations is perfectly fine. I am just saying that Wikia is very glitchy, and that saving the text before posting it is much safer.

Tsubaki Blue said:
@Antvasima.
Understood. I just thought that something very lengthy may clog up the thread due to it's legnth. Maybe long requests should be made on our message walls then?
How about the one doing the request makes a blog with it and links it in the thread? That way all request remain on one thread.

@Ever

I've said no to many people more times than I am comfortable with regarding this. It's mean.

After briefly scanning through the thread, here's my ten cents:

• If people can't translate it just leave a message saying: "I'm overworked/tired to do translations, sorry"
  • Japanese is unfortunately the most requested language, but perhaps we can have a rule to encourage users to find different language: "We receive a lot of requests for Japanese translations so users are encouraged to try and find different languages available where possible"
  • Another rule: "If a user is already overworked with translations, politely declines your translation, or you've already recently requested a translation, please try and refrain from requesting more."

I think if someone says no several times, people should take a hint. If not, warnings are there for a reason..

i'm with CK in this and yeah a new rule for that maybe noted so that the translators don't get overworked just my two cents

@Kurkov

My only issue with the second sentiment is the fact that once again, localizations tend to modify, add, or omit information to fit a particularly language's style. Hence why everyone demands that novel, game descriptions, and manga be translated directly from Japanese. I don't know if we should be using the Portuguese or Spanish translations except to corroborate other statements in the native language of the work.

No isn't that strong of a word, or a mean word in particular. If you have a hard time with saying no or denying someone, okay, I suppose that's a personal thing, but ignoring them isn't much better if not a worse of a gesture.

Whichever you prefer. I agree with Ant, posting in a Google doc so itd saved in cyberspace is better than losing it due to wikia being glitchy. Of course...there's also the problem with human translations taking time more time than a calc even. Sera took five hours to translate 12 scans because Japanese and English are very different languages. Since I have years of experience translating, I have no choice but to take on the work myself if I have time.

I have modified the first post in the thread, to remind translators that saving the work before posting is much preferable.

@Repp

Well, while that maybe a problem, I'd rather have slightly inaccurate work than unhappy friends. It would be better for others to do the majority of the work and then have people just check over the inaccurate words than have them being stressed with the whole thing.

Translations and Localizations are not the same thing.

So, is there anything else that I need to try to fix?

@Ant Maybe something along the lines of these rules can be implemented?

The first suggestion may be inappropriate, given that translations to other languages may have been localised.

I also think that we already cover most of the second in the first post of the thread:

"Help with translation requests is voluntary, and not mandatory. As such, other users should not complain if they don't get translations quickly or at all."

"Also, take note that repeatedly pestering other members about translations is strictly prohibited, and may lead to blocks being enforced."

Reppuzan said:
@Kurkov
My only issue with the second sentiment is the fact that once again, localizations tend to modify, add, or omit information to fit a particularly language's style. Hence why everyone demands that novel, game descriptions, and manga be translated directly from Japanese. I don't know if we should be using the Portuguese or Spanish translations except to corroborate other statements in the native language of the work.
The only reason I use Portuguese / Spanish translations for Saint Seiya is that plenty of the series is only on those languages.

As for the thread at large, I generally agree with the OP and Krukov.

Hop thinks it is logical that most of the highly requested items are in Japanese, being as most of the popular media is coming from there (anime, manga, jRPGs). It is frustrating to see people request for translation, although, maybe the reason they ask is because they don't know if it means anything. You can't tell if it's important if you can't understand it, but then again, testing it on Google first isn't the worst idea.

Hop has removed himself from translation. Not enough requests, and to be fair, it is no longer a necessary or interesting task.

Hop Hoppington-Hoppenhiemer said:
Hop has removed himself from translation. Not enough requests, and to be fair, it is no longer a necessary or interesting task.
I can do spanish translations in your place, Hop. I understand enough of it to make competent translations to english.

I have now informed the Fandom staff about the glitch that recurrently causes messages to disappear. Hopefully they will try to do something about the issue.

Back