• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Regarding the Recent Bans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sera_EX

She Who Dabbles in Fiction
VS Battles
Retired
First of all, terribly sorry to make another post regarding this (I truly am), but I recently received my reply from Fandom regarding the Kepekley incident and I noticed something.

I believe all of this needs to be summed up some way so the community, especially the staff, can understand what happened and how we can move on from this swiftly and not lose anymore people.

We all know The Everlasting was globally blocked, and now Kepekley as well. This is no different than when ALRF and later Iapitus were blocked by FANDOM over pictures/memes. So what is the common theme? The Terms of Use. As users of any FANDOM platform (oh which this wikia is one of them) we agree to these terms when we make our accounts. Violation of these terms normally shall result in a global block. These blocks tend to be non-negotiable. Unfortunately, Kepekley was well aware of the ToU, yet did it anyway (the fact that he made such a quote while arguing with someone didn't make his case better in all honesty). These are the terms we agreed to whether we like it or not.

The difference between this and the Discord group as people call them is they did not violate FANDOM'S TOU (they violated Discord's Community Guidelines but that's another story and not up for discussion here).

I am sorry Kepekley got banned as I am sorry The Everlasting was. They are both friends of mine. But I cannot deny what is plain and clear in all our faces. The ToU are very clear. And if you do not like them that means you shouldn't even be here. That's the harsh reality of it all. This is literally what I like to call being "Caught by a Contract". When you sign a contract, it's a done deal right? That is the same with Terms of Use on ANY SITE. The terms of use bind you no matter where you are. Fandom, Discord, Google, YouTube, Facebook, etc. You need to read them so you don't fall into one of these pitfalls. This could all be avoided by being more careful.

I am not for censorship, but it's clear that using the n-word is against the ToU, apparently other terms are as well. Instead of promoting a fear-culture of "watch what you say less you be banned", or a rage-culture of "SCREW YOU FANDOM, YOU SUCK!!", we should promote street smart culture. Kep should've censored the "bad word", that would've saved him. There's a reason certain people talked the smack they talked offsite, they knew it practically made them untouchable by the Global Staff as FANDOM couldn't care less what happens offsite (in most cases). This is a community issue the VSBW staff need to understand and word correctly in the rules or site disclaimer. The global staff are strict for a reason.

Once you break the ToU there is no going back. Both here and anywhere else. That's why Ever was banned, that's why Kep was banned. As long as we understand this, there isn't really much censorship in that regard now is it? After all...we did "sign a contract", we "agreed to the terms". I am talking with Fandom right now but Kep's ban seems to be, as I said, non-negotiable.

So Remember:

Read the Terms of Use (the Global rules). It's more worth it than you know.

Note: Reposted from RV thread.

>When banning a group that was reportedly destabilizing the wiki actually leads to real destabilization.

Well hopefully this is a lesson for us all in regards to the Terms of Use, Fandom's interpretations/opinions and how we discuss.

People in Chat should also really stop the sock puppet discussion. That is only worse in Fandom's eyes and would justify their reasonings for the ban and their recent thread a week ago about the toxicity in the Wiki. Plus socks are a bannable offense per our Wiki rules. We need to calm down, take a little break for today and process things rationally. Tomorrow is another new day and we still have a lot of work to do here.

Edit: TLDR - Fandom is God, we pretty much have no say against God, so we gotta play by the rules of Fandom.

Seriously, encouraging sockpuppets on the wikia known to have a huge sockpuppet problem is not remotely a good idea.

Posting what I said from the other thread:

I appreciate the response Sera. Its like I said earlier, we have to err on the side of caution, and make sure not to walk too close to the fine line. Making Fandom out to be something like NK's "fearless leader" doesn't change the fact that we all made an agreement and were obligated to comply from Day 0.
I also agree with IMade regarding socks. Such ideas are foolish.

Good.

Bad thing is, not all people read the ToS (Either because they are lazy or because it is extremely long)

As a friend of mine said, there should be a simplified version of it (or just plain summarize it) so actually people can read it.

This has been a rough day, people are somewhat overreacting (and i did too at the time), this is not the end of the world and FANDOM may provide some solution. It has only been 1 day. Tomorrow it may be a different thing.

I hate to impede on those who are actually having a bad day over this, but my day is going just fine.

Some of you are taking this way too seriously. Kep himself said from the start that he was well aware this could happen but did so anyway.

To get pissed off and throw a hissy fit actually muddies up Kep's "noble sacrifice" in the first place. He knew what he was doing.

Anyway, I have class + work to attend to. I ask that everyone in this thread please remain civil and do not derail with any drama whatsoever. Do not argue with the "Discord group" over this for a sixth time, let them have their opinions and you have yours. Please skim over the ToU and have a splendid rest of your day =)

Hopefully this will be the final thread on the subject, its extremely tiresome having posts highlighted left and right and notifications going haywire over this issue.

I agree that this is no different from ALRF's or Iapitus's blocks, that's what I mentioned on the RV thread on the same post I asked everyone to calm down. And I also agree that everyone should preferably calm down regarding criticism's towards Fandom; everyone should remain calm. Kepekley's global block will be lifted before too long; it just probably won't happen right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back