• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Regarding Several and Many

Several vs Many

So I've been wondering about 数倍 (Several times) vs 何倍 (Many times) for a while now because in one series I was working on it is shown that there are many forms that are stated to be a several times boost but are also stated to be many times boost at the same time or have a several times boost forms being comparable to a many times boost forms. So I decided to just go and search up if there actually is a difference between several times and many times in Japanese and this is what I found from this site.

「何倍」の「倍」の意味は、「ある量をその量と同じだけさらに増やしたもの」です。そのため、2倍と言うことも出来ます。「何倍」の場合は、2倍よりも更に大きい数量ということになります。同じ数以上の物を更に加える、もっと足して多くする、同じ数を何度か加えるという意味があります。「何倍」の場合は、数が多いということはわかりますがそれがどれくらいかは具体的にわからない状態です。それでも、沢山という意味で使われます。

The meaning of the word "倍 double" in "何倍 many times" is "an amount of something that is increased by an additional amount equal to that amount." Thus, it can be said to be twice as much. In the case of "何倍 many times," the quantity is even greater than twice. It means to add more than the same number of things, to add more, or to add the same number several times. In the case of "何倍 many times," we know that it is a large number, but we don't know exactly how large it is. Still, it is used to mean a lot.

So in Japanese, many times is not greater than several times. It is just another way to say more than two. Many times is actually at least 3 just like several times and not at least 4. And that would make a lot more sense since tens of times in Japanese can be written as either 数十倍 or 何十倍. I thought I should bring this up and change the current multiplier standards for many times from being at least 4x to at least 3x as that would be the more accurate way to use the multiplier. So in terms of Japanese words for multipliers below 100 without a directly stated number

数倍/何倍 (Several times/Many times) = >2 (3 or more)

桁違い (Order of magnitude) = 10

十数倍 (Closest word in English is Dozen times) = 11-19

数十倍/何十倍 (Tens of times) = 20-99

Multiplier Upscaling

And this brings me to my next point. If you have two multipliers that are both considered several/many (At least 3) times but both in series and in databooks one is explicitly shown and stated to be stronger than the other one. Would it be possible for the stronger form to be considered a higher boost like 4x rather than 3x since its explicitly shown to be superior to a 3x boost on top of also having a many times statement which means it could be a boost that is higher than 3 as 3 is just the bare minimum the boost could be based on the words several and many?

Like say there's a character using Form A that is stated to be a several times boost and there's an enemy that is slightly stronger than said character when using Form A but when he uses Form B which is stated to be a many times boost he becomes slightly stronger than the enemy.

Would an example like this be enough to warrant a slightly higher value for the stronger form that also have a several/many times statement? This would only apply to the forms that are stated to have something like a several/many times statement on top of being explicitly shown to be superior to another form that also has a several/many times statement. Simply being far stronger than another form without a statement wouldn't warrant anything higher than it simply scaling above the other forms unquantifiably.

This is generally correct and I remember actually learning the difference myself in regards to "many times" for Bleach about 6 years ago since there's a feat that the English translation reduced when the Japanese explicitly had 何倍.

Many times is a multiple over two.

Now in regards to your ideas of the multipliers being 3 or 4, I would like to see more opinions on that as usually I would advocate for 何倍 to be "at least 3 times".

Following this thread.

And sorry to say this, but I completely disagree about 倍 being larger than 倍. (~倍 -> ~times)

Here are my reasons:
1. In general (English way,) "Many" refers to larger numbers. While, "Several" refers to smaller numbers according to most English dictionaries if you search the comparison.

2. To put it simply (Japanese way,)倍 = Numerous times, several times, several-fold etc.” is already counted and decided from 1 to 10 digits. While, "倍 = Many times, how many times, etc." is indefinite and unknown if it's actually ten times, hundred times or billion times. It can also be used as a question like "私の家はあなたの家より倍大きい(小さい)ですか? = How much larger (smaller) is my house than yours?" for example.

3. "何十倍" might be a bit similar to "数十倍," but it's not larger than "何倍," which is unclear if related to the list of ten/hundred times or a question. And as stated in (2.), we don't know how many times it is or if it's higher or lower than "数十倍"、"数百倍" or "数万倍."

4. If people ask you how many pieces (何枚) or how many animals (何匹) you have, you can say any numbers like tens or trillions (unless it's true.)

The thing that I'm more confused about: is the Context. There are some Japanese authors who wrote a word but thinking it as another definition coming from its synonym. There are many examples of these since they want to write the words cooler.

-----
Also going to wait for translators, staffs or other users before leaving or changing my mind.

You completely misunderstood the thread.

I have never once said 数倍 several times is larger than 何倍 many times. I'm saying here that 何倍 many times should be at least 3 just like 数倍 several times and not at least 4 like we currently assume it to be in Japanese.

I also never said 何十倍/数十倍 tens of times is larger than 何倍 many times. I just said 何倍 many times is at least greater than 3 that's it. I never mentioned an upper limit to it. The whole point of this thread is just to lower the lower limits of 何倍 many times to 3 instead of 4 and to determine whether or not multiplier upscaling from statements are allowed.

You completely misunderstood the thread.

I have never once said 数倍 several times is larger than 何倍 many times. I'm saying here that 何倍 many times should be at least 3 just like 数倍 several times and not at least 4 like we currently assume it to be in Japanese.

I also never said 何十倍/数十倍 tens of times is larger than 何倍 many times. I just said 何倍 many times is at least greater than 3 that's it. I never mentioned an upper limit to it. The whole point of this thread is just to lower the lower limits of 何倍 many times to 3 instead of 4 and to determine whether or not multiplier upscaling from statements are allowed.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. Didn’t know you were talking about that.

Read your comment right now and there’s seem to be no problem, so I’ll agree with this.

Back