• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Question on Durability Negation

Can somebody tell me why Megidolaon (and other Almighty spells) is considered a feat of Durability Negation? As far as I know, it only bypasses natural resistances as opposed to defensive stats (like HP, Endurance, P./M. Defense, etc.).

It's more similar to the first two methods of Dura negation listed on our page for it, where it bypasses outside defenses like shields, barriers and resistances.

A while back I had gotten some of the SMT pages to say something along the lines of "bypasses additional defenses" rather than negates durability, but that has never stuck.

Seems like Almighty is a bit overestimated in general...? I've seen people claim it can bypass SMT's OP Type 8 immortality, when it's something limited to Observation.

Almighty Attacks aren't Durability Negation, they are Resistance Negation. This has been agreed ages ago

Saikou The Lewd King said:
Seems like Almighty is a bit overestimated in general...? I've seen people claim it can bypass SMT's OP Type 8 immortality, when it's something limited to Observation.
I really wonder who began to spread that notion.

For a long time I thought they were Durability Negation that bypasses all defenses and resitances, good thing to know they only bypasses resistances.

They can bypass stuff like magical barriers, so it's durability negation in the same way using a thread to bypass armor is (this is an example on our Dura negation page) but it isn't in the general sense.

I haven't been on enough vs debates to see stuff like what Saikou mentioned, but I do agree that it's overestimated, it's often treated like an insta-win button in the threads I see.

I thought almighty attacks were just classed akin to something without an element, as in nothing resists them but nothing has any special weakness to them either.

Bascally, imagine you are a dude with an armor: A knife would hurt you much less that usual, but an Allmighty attack would damage you just as much as it would if you weren't wearing an armor.

However, it doesn't bypass natural durability, so an 8-C Allmighty attack wouln't do jack to you if you were a 3-A:

Funny enough, I was reading up on Almighty attacks earlier to familiarize myself with it, as I was confused too. I even have the tab still up. Think of Almighty attacks like you would they Psychic- type in Pokémon back in Gen 1. No one else can resist it.

Ultima Reality said:
Almighty Attacks aren't Durability Negation, they are Resistance Negation. This has been agreed ages ago
Well, apparently not, since every single mention of Almighty attacks in every SMT page I've visited so far has it listed as Durability Negation. That's why I brought this up in the first place, since as far as I know, it's closer to Resistance Negation like you said.

Well, to be fair, some Almighty attacks can specifically drain the enemy, such as Life Drain or Soul Drain, or their energy, such as Spirit Drain or Energy Drain. So these would at least negate dura to some exent.

In addition, they not only bypass resistances, but they cannot be Nulled, Replled and/or Drained by the enemy (though there is one specific skill that I know that is capable of repelling them).

Yeah, what DMB said, it essentially bypasses resistances, bariers, reflection/drains, and other special defenses. But it definitely doesn't deal with immortality or stuff like that, for instance immortal characters like Beldr in DeSu are fine after getting hit by them.

The accurate wording is used on Abel's page, where it's listed as "Almighty attacks that bypass all barriers" in powers and abilities, and listed to "bypass magical defenses" in his notable techniques.

I know. But if people think that it bypasses high godly type 8 immortality, then it failing to deal with something far less impressive like Beldr's is kinda damning.

What Almighty doesn't ignore is the opponent's natural durability (not counting Soul Drain etcetera, which can still be resisted). It does bypass Defense Amps, Shields, Barriers, Armors etcetera.

Back