• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Power Classification System?

Status
Not open for further replies.
THIS IS A TENTATIVE PROPOSAL. I'm looking for other people's opinions, especially with the power categories, which were basically made subjectively.

My main priority is for this site to have some way to classify the things the characters do. If people accept this, but don't edit the pages to mention the classifications, I'm fine with that. If people don't accept this, but create and use a different system that works well, I'm fine with that.

The benefits of this system are:

1. It allows us to label moves/powers and categorize characters with existing terminology.
  2. It allows us to effectively name and classify moves/powers that don't have official or widely accepted names.
  3. Its use is flexible. You can classify a character, general ability, or specific action with the same system.
Note that this is all tentative, and categories of the power types were created subjectively (which categories, imo, covered as much material as possible, while having distinct and meaningful terms).

Types of Powers:

• Regular: lesser to all the other categories. It has to involve the character's body. A purely regular attack solely involves the character, without any non-natural enhancements to their bodies.
  • Mechanical: involves some non-biological, physical component (gadgets, tools or augmentations).
  • Magical: action/attack involves magic as explicitly stated.
  • NonMagical: involves some component that isn't mechanical or regular, but not magical either (such as the energy projectiles in DBZ and, if my memory serves me correctly, bending in the Avatar Series).
  • Toonish: involves some component that defies logic (unlike NonMagical), and has no explanation (unlike Magic), generally for the purpose of comedic effect.
  • Perfect: power that doesn't fit into any of the previous categories, is intangible or cannot be quantified, or is unknown and can be assumed to be godlike.
Antecedents:

• "-": Power isn't consistently used with success, power is only mentioned of being used by credible sources, or power itself is weaker.
  • "+": Power is consistently used with success, or power itself is above average (note: humans at peak physical form would be Regular+)
  • "++": Power is apex of its category (note: Regular++ would indicate that the character belongs to a superior species that doesn't have powers belonging to other categories.)
  • "/": indicates power stacking, where the first power is aided by or is present alongside the second, third, fourth, etc. (e.g. mr mxyzptlk, as far as I know, can be considered magical/toonish )
Types of Actions/Attacks

• CRC (close-range combat): action/attack that solely involves the character's body, while physically striking (e.g. all of saitama's moves)
  • MRC (mid-range combat): action/attack that involve the character + finite, physical object used directly to strike (e.g. deadpool and his katanas)
  • FRC (far-range combat): action/attack that involve the character + projectiles used to physically strike opponents
  • DP (direct personal): action that causes the state of the character to change after concentration (e.g. DBZverse's many various saiyan forms)
  • PP (passive personal): action that changes the state of the character subconsciously/ without physical concentration by the character (think of the buffs your character received in LoL)
  • PC (passive combat): action/attack that is performed without the character demonstrating physical concentration, action, or strain.
  • OA (other action): any action/attack that doesn't fit into any of the other catagories
How to use:

• For action/attack: First, power type. Then antecedent, if necessary. Then, any other power types stacking (with appropriate antecedents). Finally, Action/Attack type (in brackets).
  • For character First, primary power type, with necessary antecedents. Then, any other power types (with appropriate antecedents).
Examples of Use:

1. The Flash's infinite mass punch would be: Unmagical++(CRC)
  2. Christopher Nolan's Batman would be classified as Regular+/Mechanical+
  3. Abracadaniel from Adventure Time would be classified as Magical-/Regular+ (his body is durable enough to take a meteorite)

This seems ridiculously complicated and convoluted and not worth actually adding.

Everyone seems to think this is too complicated. Probably true.

So new proposal: what if the "Type's of Actions and Attacks" and "Antecedents" were removed (the antecedents being replaced by people just saying whether the power is strong, weak, or otherwise)? I'm pretty sure it would still be as beneficial, and it would be far more simple (basically just 6 self-explanatory categories that everything falls into).

Beyond that I strongly disagree with it, we do not remotely have the time and energy to apply this type of system to the wiki, and it is against the rules for regular members to interfere with our current one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back