• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Popeye feats

...doesn't Sony own Popeye now, unless I'm mistaken.

Because that was a thing, no? They oof'd the Popeye film for favour of Emoji Movie.
It kinda was disappointing Sony chose the Emoji movie over Popeye the Sailor Man
Time Warner and Turner entertainment owns most of the Animation cartoons of Popeye.

Although Popeye is public domain so supposedly anyone can use him

Tbf for concepts, the Emoji Movie would rake in more dough than a movie centered around Popeye due to age gaps and such, at least far as I’m aware.
The problem’s that they completely butchered… literally everything about the emoji
Movie, which is why it was bad.

Tl;dr Emoji Movie earns more in concept, lost in execution. But I digress.

So what has been accepted to be applied here? Should we simply wait until we have enough available information for the profile page to be properly split up?

I don't know, again I don't even know what we mean by "canon Popeye", is it Thimble Theatre? Because that's definitely not canon to the cartoons.

That's the issue, I feel, nothing really is "accepted" proper, this thread has been made too expansive currently.

So it's better for someone to make a sequel thread for the cartoon file

Okay. So the current thread should only be for the original Thimble Theater comics then?

Okay. Isn't it better to create a new thread first and link to it here first though?

Can somebody please write a list of all the members who have helped out in this thread previously, so I can send a notification to them?

Can somebody please write a list of all the members who have helped out in this thread previously, so I can send a notification to them?
Da_Lunge_Fish
The_Impress
Stefano4444
ColonelSlyBanjo
Eficiente
CuteAnimeNekoGirl99
Frieza_force_soldier_110
DarkDragonMedeus
Livinmeme

From what I can tell at least.

Okay. Do you or somebody else plan to start a new thread about this later?

I can't call myself a Popeye's expert, at most i could go and watch all the available Popeye series to find any impressive feat and ability that he still lack in the profile.

Well, it is a quite important issue to split up Popeye into a few different continuity profile pages, so I would much prefer if we try to get this done, and if I close this thread, there is a big risk that the subject would not be properly dealt with again in a long time.

Okay, but it is good to keep a thread open for keeping us updated about the progress, and we also need some people to volunteer as well.

I mean we don't need EVERY SINGLE version up, y'know? People can work on them at their own pace, pagemaking takes alot of time :V

Agreed, but we do need the original Thimble Theater and cartoon incarnations.

I mean that's a really hard ask of someone, given Thimble Theatre is a newspaper strip, a medium with extremely poor archiving.

Cartoon version is already up :v

Yeah, not sure what's entirely to be done, but separating comic Popeye from Animated Popeye is a start; and something about different eras for Animated Popeye?

I mean that's a really hard ask of someone, given Thimble Theatre is a newspaper strip, a medium with extremely poor archiving.
I think that there exist paperbacks for Popeye's older newspaper strip adventures, and they should be available via Read Comics Online as well.
Cartoon version is already up :v
All of the information within the following page does not seem to be from the old cartoons alone. I would greatly appreciate if somebody can comb through the it, and remove what does not apply. After that, we can rename it to "Popeye (Original Cartoons)" or somesuch.

I have the very first newspaper strip book of Popeye the Sailor, but There is far better information over at Comics Kingdom with a paid membership to access every single Popeye comic strip ever (I hope, from what I been told by my GF).
as much I love Both comic and cartoon popeye in one profile, it makes more sense on this addition to him.

Read Comic Online does not seem to host any collections of the oldest Thimble Theater Popeye comic strips.

In lack of better options, would somebody be willing to remove all of the feats that are not from the original cartoon from the following page please, so it stops being partially composite?

After that, I can rename it to "Popeye (Original Cartoon Series)" or somesuch.

Back