• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Philemon scaling to the Collective Unconscious

This should probably be enough input, if we're all in agreement. Should I start a second thread regarding discussion on who this scales to?

On the matter of the CU and the humans thing, it's not neccessarily clear due to the shift in team between personas 2 and 3. Philemon states that the CU is the power which created the universe. Which would clearly mean the CU existed in some form prior to humans. This is in stark contrast to nyx backstory with the CU coming into play after humans existed. The best way I see to unite the two is that the "CU" did exist before humans but in a different form (and thusly not being a "collective unconscious for humans), and then was transformed when conscious beings were present to have a collective unconscious.

It sounds more like what Morgana said at the end of P5. The whole world is a product of Cognition. Sounds more metaphorical than literal, since Cognition did basically shape the way the universe turned out to be since humans kept making up new gods and goddesses through Cognition.

So Cognition might be the most basic form of the CU, and the CU became a collective cognition once humans started tapping into it en masse.

Sounds like the "power" in this case is Cognition. Cognition created the universe, just like Morgana said, and Cognition then created the CU. So Cognition predated the CU, and the CU just makes it easier to tap into it. Makes sense to me.

If I remember correctly, Morgana's statement was "This whole world is a product of cognition".

With the context in mind, it's dubious to consider this statement 100% literal. It's definitely true to some extent, considering reality warping and how a large theme in the game regards how changes in perception can affect the world. But it seems like a bit of a stretch to say that this definitively means cognition created the entire universe.

But i believe that in the context, Tatsuya and his friends were required to alter the universe, and that Tatsuya refusing to have his memories erased resulted in the creation of the Eternal Punishment Timeline, where the events of Innocent Sin Timeline never happend. Am i wrong or what?

Back