• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

(Persona 5) About the Protagonist's name

Should his page's name be "Ren Amamiya"?

I mean, his name (orignally in the game) are variable, but, in the manga and some stage use different names.

Shouldn't we just use the name "Joker" since he was referred as such?

Akira Kurusu was only in the manga. Mao Tomokawa was in the stage play. Ren Amamiya waa in the anime, Dancing in Star Night, and Mementos Mission. That's two more uses compared to the rest. So it's better to keep it as is.

Manga names and stage play names have literally NEVER been canon. I can't believe we're still having this discussion at this point.

Ren Amamiya is the name that fits the same criteria that applies to Yu Narukami and Makoto Yuki. "Joker" is a codename. People still insisting on anything but "Ren Amamiya" are just pointlessly stubborn.

Joker is still the most consistent official name he has, everything else varies. I have no idea who Yu Narukami and Makoto Yuki are, but if they have the same problem, they should be renamed.

If you don't even know the context for this naming scheme then why are you here, debating the logic of it?

Every other name has already been explicity considered non-canon. The ONLY reason people are still so hung up about "Ren Amamiya" is because of personal preference toward any of the other names, which are NON-CANON. It's not a manner of consistency, but canonicity.

"Joker" is a code-name. "Ren Amamiya" is his actual name. Unless you want to change the names of every single character in P5 to match their code-names instead of their real names, which is plain stupid, then "Ren Amamiya" stays.

Why would it be stupid to change it to their codenames? I don't see what problematic about it. It's not like Superman's pages are named "Clark Kent" or something.

Because the codenames are a one-off thing for P5 only? It's inconsistent with the rest of the verse, completely foregoes the real-life aspect which takes up the majority of the game, and there's literally no valid reason to go through all of that trouble just to appease a few stubborn people.

Solacis said:
no valid reason to go through all of that trouble just to appease a few stubborn people.
So, I just ask something and I've become a stubborn people?

Quite aggressive aren't you?

It's mostly due the fact a lot of people are heavily biased with Joker's name, a lot of people prefer the name Akira Kurusu. However my point still stands as Ren Amamiya is the most official real name. Joker his only his codename, he's reffered to as his real name in the game a lot more.

As far as I'm aware, the names used in the accompanied anime for each of the Persona protagonists are the ones typically used as their name in any depictions where it is required. So it's the closest thing they have to a canon name. I frankly don't care much either way; call him Joker, Ren, Akira, whatever. Same with Makoto vs Minato, and Yu vs Souji. Having them all use their anime names on their profiles is consistent with how they are depicted and makes things nice and orderly. I don't think it should be a 100% necessary rule, but it's pretty decisively the best way to handle it.

If neither of them have consistent names, shouldn't we do the same we do with 2 examples I listed who have the same problem? Also, Demi-Fiend has many canonical real names too, which is we just went with his codename.

No, not exactly. Even if Joker was still the most consistent it doesn't matter. Hell, his most consistent name is actually Hero/The Protagonist. Using Joker would just ignore a majority of what the game is about as Solacis stated above. Using their real names is preffered.

Ren Amamiya is the name chosen by Atlas which makes it cano, and it is expected to be used for the foreseeable future whereever the character makes an appearance and gets named.

I am for the Megami Tensei II and Strange Journey protagonist character pages being named after the canon names.

Oh, so you're saying we should go in reverse? MegaTen II, Strange Journey and Devil Survivor being the ones renamed? I could get behind that.

One thing that does need to be accounted for is that consistency between the Persona games is arguably more important for the profiles than consistency with SMT. Makoto and Narukami don't have any kinds of code names, so if we were to worry about keeping it consistent then Joker wouldn't work as a name.

DarkGrath said:
between the Persona games is arguably more important for the profiles than consistency with SMT
Persona is part of MegaTen, dude. Both it and SMT are part of wider Megami Tensei franchise, and saying otherwise is just ridiculous.

Yeah, I know. Obviously. But Persona is a spin-off of SMT, and post-P3 has essentially become its own thing. Persona and SMT profiles are still different, and so consistency between Persona profiles is arguably more important than keeping them consistent with SMT.

I mean, Devil Suvivor, Digital Devil Saga, the original Megami Tensei duology, we all treat them in the same way as the Shin Megami Tensei profiles, despite being separate from them beyond all being part of the Megami Tensei franchise.

Eh, fair enough.

Again, I really don't think there's any real need to keep things consistent either way; it's just nice and orderly to do so. So I really don't care too much for how this is resolved.

Back