• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Overlord Soul Manipulation Resistance

Shouldn't Ainz have Soul Manipulation resistance on his profile?

Soul Eaters are trash mobs (compared to the guardians and level 100 players like Ainz) that destroy souls and apparently never worked on level 100 players because of natural resistances they gained at that level. Ainz also persumably has resisted its effect as its an aura based ability and Ainz has been near them multiple times before, obviously summoning them all the time in the books.

Also touch me's "likely soul manip resistance" should just be a certainty.

Otherwise Demiurge has a chance at just one shotting Ainz and Touch Me with Hellfire, destroying their souls. Which just....seems very wrong. Especially since Lord Touch is said to be able to solo all of the guardians at once. And Ainz is stated to be stronger than Demiurge, soul manip resistance is needed.

Overlord Volume 13

The Soul Eaters who consumed their souls became stronger in turn.

Whe
Soul Eaters appeared in YGGDRASIL, they were almost always on-level encounters, so the chances of a player being downed by an instant death effect would only be one in a hundred or less. That was why this special ability of Soul Eaters rarely got the chance to see use.

There are probably a few other resistances that we are missing that I cannot remember right now, that all level 100 players would have had.

EDIT:For clarification, Its the aura from the soul eater that kills, and the instant death works by consuming their souls. And this is a trash mob(Level 40-50) compared to the guardians and players. It's bascially a different type of death manipulation that works through soul manipulation, similar to Zeref from FT. (Not sure what happens to the souls in Zerefs case though)

Seems legit to me, make sure to message some other peeps as well.

Keep in mind this should apply to level 100 NPCs as well, such as most of the Guardians.

Don't know much about this series so forgive my ignorance but some stuff stands out to me. According to ur link the soul eaters only consume the souls of the deceased so why should Ainz standing close to them justify a resistance?

Ur link also says that they have an aura of fear not soul destruction so unless an aura of fear does more than it says on the tin y is consuming dead souls considered an aura based ability? Plus it's the super bad smell that apparently causes death not their aura- at least that's what ur link says.

Also what does "on-level encounters" mean? Is it that any of these creatures that were met matched the level of the character they were facing? If so doesn't that come across as more of a weakness of their instant death bad smelly-ness more than anything?

Soul eaters kill by just being near their targets like Ainz Despair Aura. Its an instant death effect that also has the effect of consuming their victims souls.

Also as you said you don't know much about the series so it'll take too long to fully explain it (Rest assured this isn't meant in a rude way) but players in Ygraddsiil naturally gained resistances as they leveled up and resistance to these effects were highly common.

• Ainz is currently experimenting on whether or not the Soul Eaters could remain in the New World permanently through consuming the souls of their targets rather than the corpse
This is also in the wiki page. So they consume both the dead and living souls.

Also as I said this coincides with the authors list of who is more powerful in Nazarrick. Ainz is above Demiurge in the list of power, and Demiurge can destroy souls, Ainz needs that resistance to beat him.

Power level of Nazarick according to author:
1st - 8th floor NPCs (Nazarick's maximum strength; details unknown)

2nd - Rubedo (Strongest NPC)

3rd - Touch Me (Strongest Warrior, World Champion)

4th - Ulbert Alain Odle (Strongest Magic Caster)

5th - Momonga (Fully-equipped) Ainz

6th - High Tier Floor Guardian (Shalltear, etc.)

7th - Sebas Tian (in dragon form)

8th - Guren (7th floor Area Guardian)

9th - Low Tier Floor Guardian (Aura, etc.) DEMIURGE IS HERE

10th - Others(Hamsuke, etc.)

Because as it stands now with the profiles as they are now Demiurge could just hellfire ainz and win. If you have seen the anime you probably don't think this sounds right either. And neither does it really make sense with the list the Author has provided.

Also in regards to what Dargoo said about the NPC's, I completely agree. Otherwise the others would just lose to Demiurge whom is the weakest Floor Guardian which makes no sense to the authors list aswell.

Also just another quote from Volume 13.

Half of it had already been destroyed, and Soul Eaters were walking lazily among the fleeing demihumans. Even that much was enough to send the demihumans collapsing in droves from their instant death auras. The Soul Eaters who consumed their souls became stronger in turn.

Jugger47 said:
Soul eaters kill by just being near their targets like Ainz Despair Aura. Its an instant death effect that also has the effect of consuming their victims souls.
If I'm reading this right, the soul consuming only happens when the target dies from their instant death effect?

Jugger47 said:
  • Ainz is currently experimenting on whether or not the Soul Eaters could remain in the New World permanently through consuming the souls of their targets rather than the corpse
@Apeironaxim Both through living and corpses.

And even if that was the case Ainz is a walking corpse and it doesnt work on him.

Apeironaxim said:
So the instant death effect/spell isn't needed?
Or is the soul consuming the instant death effect?
Its instant death that works through soul manipulation, I gave Zeref as an example.

Which works by removing the targets soul. In this case the soul eater consumes it.

Ah, then I support this, though Ainz is immune to instant death anyway (in verse), so mentioning Demiurge might be a better reason

Apeironaxim said:
Ah, then I support this, though Ainz is immune to instant death anyway (in verse), so mentioning Demiurge might be a better reaso
I agree with that.

Apeironaxim said:
Ah, then I support this, though Ainz is immune to instant death anyway (in verse), so mentioning Demiurge might be a better reaso
One thing

Soul eater death manipulation works through soul manipulation and Ainz death manipulation resistance still works against that which means its inherently also soul manipulation resistance too, thats my point on this.

My apologies as I find this hard to explain well.

I do still agree though that perhaps the demiurge point would be a better one to put.

"Resistance to Soul Manipulation (Must be able to resist Hellfire from Demiurge as Ainz is stronger than Demiurge and would be able to defeat him as stated by Word of God)"

Something like that sound good?

If somebody could find the original translation of the Q/A it would be appreciated. I found it before but cannot anymore.

I agree. Although it isn't 100% clear how the Soul Eaters' soul manipulation works, Demiurge's hax has to be at the very least resisted by the Nazarick top tiers.

Why don't you just mention the Soul Eaters in the reasoning for the resistance? We're not giving Ainz resistance to it because the author said he could defeat Demiurge in a fight, he's getting it because he wasn't effected by the Soul Eaters that consume souls.

Ainz could easily beat Demiurge with TGOALID which doesn't involve him resisting soul manip.

DragonEmperor23 said:
Ainz could easily beat Demiurge with TGOALID which doesn't involve him resisting soul manip.
Because in an actual fight Demiurge knows all of this and more and TGOALID takes 12 seconds to use. Hellfire is near instant. Ainz has to be resistant to soul manip otherwise Demi just kills everyone instantly which makes no sense at all, just because of that, so it sounds more strong of a reason. And Word of God is just better.

Like I said though, im fine with either.

Did WOG actually say Ainz would beat Demiurge or that he is stronger? Because there is a very big difference between the two.

I agree with DragonEmp on the Soul Eater thing, much better reasoning than Demiurge.

I feel like if you make it Demiurge being weaker than Ainz, then people will just keep saying that being stronger than someone doesn't mean you resist their hax.

AnonymousBlank said:
Did WOG actually say Ainz would beat Demiurge or that he is stronger? Because there is a very big difference between the two.
I agree with DragonEmp on the Soul Eater thing, much better reasoning than Demiurge.
If you are trying to say the weakest Floor Guardia as even stated by the Author could beat Ainz when Shalltear is straight up stated to be able to beat every other floor guardian 1v1 I don't agree with you in the slightest. And im talking about a fight with no prep time, otherwise who knows what Demiurge could do.

Also you need to look at the list again. Shalltear is still below Ainz and Ainz won. Its still consistent with who wins.

I don't care what reason is used as they are both good. FDrybob and Apeironaxim don't agree though.

DragonEmperor23 said:
I feel like if you make it Demiurge being weaker than Ainz, then people will just keep saying that being stronger than someone doesn't mean you resist their hax.
Now that is a good point.

I remember a quote stating that Demiurge could only beat Ainz by making use of tactics, though I don't remember where it's from. Regardless, the fact that Demiurge is considered a low-tier guardian power-wise already says a lot.

Jugger47 said:
And im talking about a fight with no prep time, otherwise who knows what Demiurge could do.
@FDrybob

I remember something like that too(Which is why I said that) lol don't know where though.

We just need to come to a conclusion now. As I said Im fine with either so i'll go with whatever is the majority opinion.

One thing though does anybody here think that Demiurges Hellfire would instantly kill Ainz? I want to get that out of the way.

Why not just use both reasonings to solidify the soul resistances? I reckon using both reasons to justify the resistance is more effective than just using one (say, the justification for Ainz's soul manipulation resistance is due to resisting the effects of the soul eaters and being able to defeat a character with Hellfire Manipulation that can destroy souls as per the WoG) as they both can be used to cover more potential holes in logic from each other.

I don't think there's anything that prevents us from using more than one reasons to justify a character's ability in their profile.

DeathNoodles said:
I don't think there's anything that prevents us from using more than one reasons to justify a character's ability in their profile.
I was going to say the same thing before but it seems like Anon and Dragon don't agree with the Demiurge reasoning straight up. Im not sure though, do you guys totally disagree with it? Or think its just weaker?

@DragonEmperor23 and AnonymousBlank

I definitely can't see Demiurge one-shotting Ainz under any circumstances in a straight up fight, even with his Hellfire hax, so... I'm not against the justification for soul resistance due to Ainz being stronger than Demiurge as per WoG.

It just doesn't make sense to me and doesn't even take into factor how the fight played out. If the author said that Ainz would beat Demiurge and be unaffected by any of his moves then yeah, I would agree but I don't think that's what happened. It would like be giving Natsu resistance to Existence erasure because he beat someone that had it. If there's already a feat that demonstrates it, then there's no need to talk about a fight that didn't happen and wasn't even described in detail.

DragonEmperor23 said:
It would like be giving Natsu resistance to Existence erasure because he beat someone that had it. If there's already a feat that demonstrates it, then there's no need to talk about a fight that didn't happen and wasn't even described in detail.
So you think hellfire from Demiurge would work on Ainz?

DragonEmperor23 said:
it would like be giving Natsu resistance to Existence erasure because he beat someone that had it. If there's already a feat that demonstrates it, then there's no need to talk about a fight that didn't happen and wasn't even described in detail.
That is a really bad comparison to be honest. This is how it works in Overlord. Players and level 100 npcs get resistances to many of the haxs abilities that players could do, otherwise how would you pvp at all? Thats all there is to it.

Instant death spells means instant death resistances

Time spells mean time spell resistances

Spells that just vaporize the soul mean resistances to such spells.

It may have been a broken ass game with broken ass mechanics but we are talking about a regular spell, Hellfire. Not a world item.

"Resistance to Soul Manipulation (Must be able to resist Hellfire from Demiurge as Ainz is stronger than Demiurge and would be able to defeat him as stated by Word of God, also resists the soul manipulation abilities of Soul Eaters)"

This is with both reasons, that sound good? Please help if not, im not good with this at all.

I'm apathetic to Ainz getting soul manip, but unless i'm mistaken Hellfire is a spell above Tier 5 (Which IIRC is the limit of ainz's passive magic null), so Hellfire should still be able to work on Ainz, but how much damage it would do is dependant on it's tier.

I'm also not sure about using this:

As evidence for it working on living beings, because Ainz has to create his undeads through corpses, which I assume is what he's referring to here, for them to be permanent.

EDIT: Well, not really apathetic, as I want to see him fighting stronger chars, but his soul manp resistance would be pretty weak if he's still capable of being affected by Hellfire, although not outright dying.

Jugger47 said:
"Resistance to Soul Manipulation (Must be able to resist Hellfire from Demiurge as Ainz is stronger than Demiurge and would be able to defeat him as stated by Word of God, also resists the soul manipulation abilities of Soul Eaters)"

This is with both reasons, that sound good? Please help if not, im not good with this at all.
Probably looks good to me.

While I'm not certain if Ainz is actually immune to Hellfire (in-verse) as it's a high tier spell, I'm pretty sure Demiurge can't one-shot Ainz in any circumstances at a straight-up fight as he's of a calibre lesser than that of Shalltear, who Ainz has defeated.

With that logic we could give Ainz resistance to every hax that belongs to someone weaker than him and then put (because he's a higher level) next to it.

DragonEmperor23 said:
With that logic we could give Ainz resistance to every hax that belongs to someone weaker than him and then put (because he's a higher level) next to it.
We are talking about characters from Ygradassil, as in Demiurge is a level 100 NPC from the same game Ainz came from. Not characters on vsbattle lol. So that logic wouldn't apply to them at all.

Back