• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Overlord Soul Manipulation Resistance

PaChi2 said:
Are you supposing that soul destroying spells were a thing in Ygdrassil the game? I've never heard of anything like this at all. And I'd like to see any proof if so. Until then it seems more reasonable to assume that it wasn't until atleast hinted at. After all, changes like Wish Upon a Star becoming a spell to wish for anything and the Message spell turning into a telepathic spell, did happen.

Wish Upon a star could be assumed lore wise it was explained as a spell that could wish for anything(Which then became that in the NW, excluding WCI's). And obviously message could have been explained lore wise to be telepathically used.

This is my opinion on this anyways. Also I cannot find a single thing on demiurge being able to defeat Ainz using tactics and I went from volume 1-7 last night. So I have no idea where this notion came from as I have seen it before like FDrybob has aswell, so it can't be a coincidence, perhaps it was just an assumption floating around somewhere stated as fact.

>This is my opinion on this anyways. Also I cannot find a single thing on demiurge being able to defeat Ainz using tactics and I went from volume 1-7 last night.

It came from beginning of volume 12.

Also the statement on Touch me being able to defeat all guardians at once is from a Q/A interview. Don't know where though now, couldn't find it when I was looking for the power rankings list Q/A.

Couldn't find the original power rankings list either, had to get a copy from a subreddit its probably there. I assume for whatever reason that site with the first translation of the interview is gone now.

Belyompusct said:
>This is my opinion on this anyways. Also I cannot find a single thing on demiurge being able to defeat Ainz using tactics and I went from volume 1-7 last night.
It came from beginning of volume 12.
I found something supporting the opposite there.....

There was only one person that Demiurge could not defeat — in other words, there was only one opponent against whom Demiurge could not prepare enough to assure his own victory.

That person possessed intellect which surpassed his, schemes which beggared the imagination, a view of the world which seemed to extend out unto eternity, the ultimate pinnacle who held everything in the palm of his hand.

He was the supreme ruler of the Great Underground Tomb of Nazarick — Ainz Ooal Gown.

That Supreme Being was the one to whom Demiurge owed his loyalty.

Lol

Somebody said before that Demiurges overestimation of Ainz intelligence would make anything from him very unreliable. They were right. I don't see how that thing on him ever being able to defeat Ainz is even possible now. So it probably doesn't even exist in reality, thats nipped in the bud. If anything that now just strengthens the case on Ainz having resistance to atleast demiurges hellfire, having his soul destroyed outright I mean.

I apologize as I know I'm commenting in succession alot but I'm going to be off for a few days as I am going to the hospital for an operation in a few hours, so I'm trying to respond to as many as you as I can, sadly this will be the last one now for some days. Will be intresting to see where this went when I'm back though.

As of now I do think OpMasadas comment that it would still do spiritual damage makes sense but I also think an arguement could be made for in verse soul manipulation resistance(immunity only in verse, like instant death is in Overlord), as I have never heard of anything like spiritual damage in Overlords verse before, just straight up destruction or not, like instant death. So I am still in favor of granting Ainz and all level 100 NPC's soul manipulation resistance based on either reasoning, I do think the soul eater one is weaker though but still works.

Goodbye for now.

Well I mean, what's the difference between Death by Soul Destruction and death by a magical flame?

You still die, and for all intents and purposes, the game still revives both with Self-Resurrection and respawning. It just ups the effectiveness of Self-Resurrection.

FDrybob said:
So, on Ainz's profile it would be "Takes damage to his soul as regular damage instead"?
That's assuming that there's such a thing as "spiritual/soul damage" though (and that it can convert soul damage to physical damage). We need more evidence to see if Demiurge's Hellfire does such if it fails to outright destroy the target's soul.

There's still the Soul Eaters feat though.

The more I read the description, the more it sounds like Soul Eaters would use instant death, then consume the soul

Are we sure their instant death effect is the consuming of the soul, and not just regular instant death?

Well, Jugger was the one who brought it up, and explained that it was more of the latter than the former. So either we wait several days for Jugger to come back, or we have an another person scour more evidence that the Soul Eaters instant death effect works by consuming the soul. It's tiring that Overlord can be so vague when it comes to their hax these days.

Jugger47 said:
Also just another quote from Volume 13.
Half of it had already been destroyed, and Soul Eaters were walking lazily among the fleeing demihumans. Even that much was enough to send the demihumans collapsing in droves from their instant death auras. The Soul Eaters who consumed their souls became stronger in turn.
This makes it sound like it's two seperate actions, imo

I feel like this might be too vague to properly use, as one interpretation gives soul manip resistance without much doubt, while another asks whether Ainz could resist it, due to not being able to die from their aura anyway

I don't know. That could be interpreted as the Soul Eaters killing the demihumans and the consuming their souls. However, it could also be interpreted as the demihumans collapsing because of the instant death auras is the thing that consumed their souls (it didn't help that the text used the past tense "consumed" along with "the" soul eaters, which shows that they've already done it).

Which is why I've said it's so vague and that we need someone to gather more evidence.

@Noodles

If they consume after the instant death aura takes effect, its not combat applicable and can't be used for evidence. If instant death and eating souls are the same thing but considered instant death then Ainz is immune and can't be used for evidence again.

Damn, the evidence for this upgrade is going down the drain fast.

AnonymousBlank said:
@Noodles

If they consume after the instant death aura takes effect, its not combat applicable and can't be used for evidence. If instant death and eating souls are the same thing but considered instant death then Ainz is immune and can't be used for evidence again.

If it's the latter, then it shows that instant death through Soul Manipulation is still considered to be a type of instant death, thus it could prove that Ainz is resistant to Soul Manipulation by default (since it still involves Soul Manipulation).

However, we can't know for sure due to how vague the context is right now.

AnonymousBlank said:
@Noodles

No? If soul eating is counted as instant death magic, then Ainz's immunity would provide him resistance to soul manip

Back