• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Overlord CRT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Low/Mid Tiers

Simply put, the calculations used to scale these characters are wrong.

This calc of Iguva destroying mud fairies uses the pulverization value for stone... when mud is just wet soil.

This calc of Lakyus atomizing demons is wrong because, well, she didn't atomize them.

The calc cites the fan translations:
“Super move! Dark Blade Mega Impact!”
With a horizontal sweep, black power flowed out in a vast, slashing wave. The lower ranking demons were reduced to sightless atoms by the explosive burst of non-elemental energy.
But the official translations tell a different tale:
“Super Art: Dark Blade Mega Impaaact!”
A pitch-black explosion raged to the side as she swung. The low-level demons were swallowed up by the burst of neutral energy and disappeared one after another.
Nothing about atoms is mentioned here. So which one is correct?

Well, after checking the Japanese raws, it's the official version. See, none of the words here mean "atom" or "atomization". At best, the fan translation is very liberal, probably translating 消滅 as "reduced to sightless atoms".

There is also the fact that the justification for the supersonic rating is some fancy visual effect in the anime which doesn't even look like a sonic boom when examined frame by frame.

High Tiers

All these characters scale from Ainz freezing a lake with Creation. This calc, too, is wrong for reasons similar to Lakyus's feat.

It uses the official translations (kinda) that state:
The Great Tove Woodlands stretched across the southern foothills of the Azerlisia Mountains, which served as a natural border between the Baharuth Empire and the Re-Estize Kingdom. North of the forest was a huge lake. This body of water was shaped like an inverted calabash, split into an upper and a lower lake, with a diameter of about twenty-four miles. The deeper upper lake was home to larger creatures, while in the lower portion dwelled smaller life-forms.
But the fan translations disagree:
This lake was over twenty square kilometers in size, and resembled an inverted gourd. It was divided into the Upper Lake and the Lower Lake. The Upper Lake was very deep, and was home to larger creatures, while the Lower Lake was where the smaller creatures lived.
After checking the Japanese raws, I found that, in this case, the fan translations are the correct ones. 二十キロ四方 means "20 square kilometers" and that's that. If you were to adjust the calc with this, the end result would be 4.65e+15 J i.e. Low 7-B (barely). Would be, if not for the fact that there is another thing wrong with this calculation: The ice sheet is not 55 cm thick. Visual evidence.

And it's not only the visual evidence that's at case here, there is also the fact that the LN repeatedly described the ice as thin:
The scene before their eyes was too horrific to bear. The lake which could never freeze, which had never frozen ever since they had been born, was now a solid sheet of ice.
The Lizardmen hurriedly raised their feet. Fortunately, the ice was not very thick and broke immediately, but the shattered portions immediately froze back over. The bone-chilling cold from below proved that this was no mirage
Shasuryu jumped off the dirt wall with that apology, landing with a splash as he broke through the narrow ice of the marsh.
“Then, I’ll be going.”
“Be careful.”
Zaryusu hugged Crusch tightly, and then he jumped off into the marsh after Zaryusu.
Zaryusu and Shasuryu trod the thin ice on the surface of the lake underfoot as they set forth together. After leaving the main gate, Zaryusu could sense the undead king’s entourage eyeing them, as though their gazes were exerting an actual physical pressure. He could also sense the uneasy looks from behind him, and the most worried of them probably belonged to Crusch.
And the description in the LN that matches the visual evidence from the anime:
Zaryusu and Shasuryu suddenly fell to their knees, their heads sinking into the marsh. It seemed like a perfectly natural motion to onlookers.
The cold mud caked their bodies, and the shattered ice immediately froze over once more.

All and all, a big downgrade is in need for Overlord characters.

Huh, was gonna bring up a problem with the Iguva calc that was different then this one, but eh, it gets fixed either way

Afaik, supersonic also comes from Zenberu:

Moments later, the moment when Zaryusu closed in— Something flashed with
a loud bang before the eyes of Zaryusu as he leapt to the side. That was the
sound made by Zenberu’s halberd.
There was no technique involved; it was just a simple swing.
But that was why it was so shocking.

also official translations suck, they're done by Yen Press

Last edited:
The bang is made by him swinging his weapon, he doesn't hit anything the only source that sound can come from is a sonic boom. More zaryusu is able to react and dodge it. Further support is the undead cutting bullets out of the air with his sword and ainz creating a vacuum via his kick.

Fair on getting the raws, I thought the mud elemental used a vaporization value but your right that doesn't really seem to be the case reading them over. Weird he mentions using the vaporization value but instead substitutes for pulv for some reason.

It's mentioned as thin but we don't know how thin exactly, wonder if we could pixel scale the ice to find the thickness in the anime.

You shouldn't assume that just because it made a sound it must be a sonic boom when that is not at all implied. There is also something wrong with that quote, here's what my version of volume 4 reads:
Before long, when Zaryusu had reached a certain distance, a massive clang rang out from the air which Zaryusu had just leapt away from. It was the sound of Zenberu swinging his halberd.
There was no skill to it; it was merely a forceful swing
Clang is the sound that weapons make when they hit each other, so he probably did hit something.

You shouldn't assume that just because it made a sound it must be a sonic boom when that is not at all implied. There is also something wrong with that quote, here's what my version of volume 4 reads:

Clang is the sound that weapons make when they hit each other, so he probably did hit something.
Hmm it's not said to hit anything, whats the Japanese/official version say? I assumed it's a sonic boom because it's not said to have hit anything still if its actually a clang that definitely changes things....

That would probably make our best speed feat the death warrior cutting bullets out of the air I guess.

That might be the most recent "updated" translations

However, I personally think those shouldn't be used, as they've had some big errors, some that are fixed, and some that aren't. Such as in Volume 8 and 9, Nfirea's nickname is Enfi. However in these "updated" translations, it's mistakenly typed as "Enri" throughout the entirety of both Volumes, which really breaks the flow of scenes, considering that's a whole other character. The person who "updated" these also forgot like, a whole chapter in Volume 3, though it was fixed later. After these 2 decently sizable errors, I honestly don't trust the "updated" versions

Last edited:
Also, what could he have hit? There's no indication they clashed weapons, and they're standing in wetlands, not many hard things to hit. What could he have hit that would possibly make the "clang" sound?

It appears to say 轟音 which means 'thunderous roar' or 'roaring sound'.

Btw, it takes forever for me to check the raws, so I'd appreciate it if I didn't have to do it often.
Of course and Im sorry for making you check still to me that lines up far more with bang then clang, add on the fact they're in a marsh and zaryusu dodged. Well at the very least it implies to me it was a sonic boom.

Something I forgot to add: Why the hell does throwing Olasird'arc equate to Class 50? 25 tons is weight only ever reached by large whales or longneck dinosaurs (out of all living organisms to exist on Earth), both are way larger than frost dragons.

Something I forgot to add: Why the hell does throwing Olasird'arc equate to Class 50? 25 tons is weight only ever reached by large whales or longneck dinosaurs (out of all living organisms to exist on Earth), both are way larger than frost dragons.
Huh I don't remember I think we meant to downgrade that a while back actually. IIRC originally class 50 came from scale everyone to Gargantua hucking that stone.

Gonna have to disagree with the "is not a sonic bomb" side of things.

No indication is made of the weapon hitting anything, quite the opposite if the attack was evaded at all. Even using your own version:
a massive clang rang out from the air which Zaryusu had just leapt away from.
Not from hitting the wetlands, which still wouldn't make sense. Not from hitting anything else. The sound came from the empty air where Zaryusu had been and had leapt away from. You are free to tell me what else, possibly, it could have hit with to cause a big sound like that, or what other sound but a sonic bomb a weapon could make while going through empty air if it's described as something "thunderous".

Any object moving at sufficiently high speeds can displace enough air to create a loud sound, it doesn't need to be swung faster than the speed of sound for that to happen. 'Thunderous roar' is a less common meaning for 轟音. 'Roaring sound' is the more common one and seems to fit better seeing as his swings are later described as "hurricane-like". It's not even like the sound is described as being explosive for you to assume that it's a sonic boom and "what other sound but a sonic bomb a weapon could make while going through empty air" sound loke an argument from ignorance.

Tbh I agree with Lancelot a roaring or thunderous sound would not be made just by anything moving through the air. That would be more of a whooshing sound. I think that supersonic is a decent assumption. As for the rest I agree with OP.

Yeah still not really convinced it's not a sonic boom. Another question aren't we also scaling the top tiers are fallen down? Or am I forgetting something again.

Wasn't there this big thing about how the LN said nothing about it vaporizing a giant crater into the ground? Because it didn't.

Wasn't there this big thing about how the LN said nothing about it vaporizing a giant crater into the ground? Because it didn't.
Right I remember now, though their was also a big kerfuffle about the ln illistration seemingly showing a crater. Hmm beyond that I don't know what we could scale to honestly, mare goes about wiping out cities in the latest novel but its all off screened. Threse a statment about the dragon lord burning the theocracy to ash but it's never given a time frame.

Roaring literally just means "loud and powerful" most of the time.
The emphasis is put on the fact that he heard this sound on the spot he had been, as the weapon was sailing through it after he dodged.

If it was what you said, it would have been something continuous, not a one-off thing at a single point of its trajectory. Such a sound would start not much time after you first start swinging the weapon, not just once at some point of the arc and then nothing more happens.

The emphasis is put on the fact that he heard this sound on the spot he had been, as the weapon was sailing through it after he dodged.
Do you mean from? Because he can't hear it on that spot if he himself in no longer on said spot (because he dodged away).
If it was what you said, it would have been something continuous, not a one-off thing at a single point of its trajectory. Such a sound would start not much time after you first start swinging the weapon, not just once at some point of the arc and then nothing more happens.
Define 'continuous' because the sound wouldn't last for only a single instant, regardless of which option is correct. You are also assuming what happened and what didn't, even though all that it says is that the swing made a 'roaring sound'.

I suggest also looking up what sonic booms actually are:
A sonic boom does not occur only at the moment an object crosses the speed of sound; and neither is it heard in all directions emanating from the supersonic object. Rather the boom is a continuous effect that occurs while the object is travelling at supersonic speeds.

There is also the fact that sonic booms are associated with condensation clouds forming around the object breaking the sound barrier; no such thing is noted to have happened here, meaning the evidence for a sonic boom having occured is insufficient.

Last edited:
First Calc: Mud can be harder than soil, but fair enough point I guess.

Second Calc: If the translation was provably wrong, epic. Fix it.

Third Calc: Use the official translations. Couldn't care less what the fans think it says. Official translations always trump fan ones for me. I certainly don't like the implication here of cherry-picking which source to use.

Supersonic: No particular strong opinion here. Lancelot makes sense, but it's certainly not fool-proof.

Official TLs do not trump the original Japanese text, Oppai is correct here.

I agree with everything on the OP and yeah, these calcs are pretty inflated.

I also don't think the lake freeze should be a valid feat to scale Ainz's other spells to considering that Overlord has demonstrated that tier is not necessarily a notation of physical power and is more used in the verse to compare similar spells that have higher tier variants.

What makes his translation of the raw Japanese more accurate than the Official one?
Didn't say that. However, the various native Japanese speakers we consult do not attempt to localize with their translations and give us a literal, denotative TL. Localization is infamously a source for errors in TLs for Japanese media and is done on purpose, with the intention to make whatever is being translated more entertaining for a western audience. If Oppai is a bilingual and/or native speaker of Japanese then, and their TL is corroborated with other known bilingual users, then we take that over official TLs.

The example contradicts that idea though.
20 kilometer radius isn’t a good example of localization changing things, just a different translation. Considering how close that was the translators clearly had similar knowledge of Japanese, so what makes the bilingual folks here more authoritative? Logically no benefit would be had from changing it so localization isn’t much of an argument here.

20 kilometer radius isn’t a good example of localization changing things, just a different translation. Considering how close that was the translators clearly had similar knowledge of Japanese, so what makes the bilingual folks here more authoritative? Logically no benefit would be had from changing it so localization isn’t much of an argument here.
It's a number. I highly doubt there's much interpretation to be had there and the official translators could have changed it for any reason.

Sigh Who would you like me to get this checked with?

Or a wrong translation, because those happen all the time, regardless of if it's official or not.
But the point is what makes your squads translation any more “right.” than that one? Just writing it off as a wrong translation doesn’t mean much since the main evidence is you getting a different one, the translators come easily turn that back at you.

I'm not a calc person, nor experienced with japanese, so don't take my word very highly. However, assuming the above information is all correct, then yeah, seems good.

Just writing it off as a wrong translation doesn’t mean much since the main evidence is you getting a different one, the translators come easily turn that back at you.
The main evidence is getting the raw Japanese text and checking what it means. I provided the scans and highlighted the important part, you're free to take it to any Japanese translator on your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back