• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Ovens' Creature Feature Bracket Round 6: Hundun vs Rootmars

Sir_Ovens

Resident Kitchen Appliance
VS Battles
Administrator
dragon-monster-fight-peril-of-guarding-by-alector-fencer-wallpaper-preview.jpg

Round 6
Hundun vs Rootmars

tks7avsq6h461.png
tumblr_nvb1voZb4s1r0xqnho1_1280.png

Rules are in the bracket hub. May the best monster win.

Bracket Hub

Alrightio, Hundun's AP is double that of the opponent and his main body's durability is basically impenetrable to Rootmars, what does he have to compensate?

This means his shell is far higher than his AP, right?

Anyway, I guess Rootmars holds the mobility and range advantage, the latter assuming we are using its second key, which has a pair of machine guns.

I guess Rootmars would likely aim to the heads, which are the most logical targets, and if it manages to destroy them both Hundun would be incapacitated from what I read on his profile.

That is all correct, but keep in mind that not only do Hundun's heads slowly sway back and forward making them difficult to hit, but they're still pretty high in durability themselves- they don't downscale from that feat or anything, it's the shell that upscales.

Isn't it in character for Rootmars to try and grab whatever it's fighting? Judging by the boss fights shown in the profile it doesn't seem to abuse its range that much.

Rootmars grabbed the Metal Slug because it was falling from space and he wanted to kill the heroes, I think it's more a thing that happened due to the situation more than being in character. Also, I don't think it would try to grab an opponent that big.

Even if the heads sway back and forth Rootmars still has a pair of machine guns to fire at high-rate, at his mind waves go in a circular direction, they should hit more easily (in the game they go in a diagonal motion, which is kinda weird to translate in a 3D setting).

I mean his mind waves have several meters of range, by then Hundun can also fight back. Personally I'm sure Hundun will take some damage but his heads have some piercing resistance against bullets (Shotgun pellets that scale to High 8-C+ do 4 damage albeit there's mulitple pellets, his heads have 25 and 30 hp respectively so he can take a few bullets) so he should be able to make it in range since he always moves towards his enemy.

I mean his mind waves have several meters of range, by then Hundun can also fight back. Personally I'm sure Hundun will take some damage but his heads have some piercing resistance against bullets (Shotgun pellets that scale to High 8-C+ do 4 damage albeit there's mulitple pellets, his heads have 25 and 30 hp respectively so he can take a few bullets) so he should be able to make it in range since he always moves towards his enemy.
I think it depends on how Rootmars will behave, as he can fly nimbly, while Hundurn (from what I see in the game, although it might be just gameplay representation) is rather clumsy with his small wings. If Rootmars remains far enough, he can fire a continous stream of bullets while being out of range, and fly around when needed.

He is pretty clumsy and slow, yes. If it's in character for him to abuse range then Rootmars probably wins

Being slow isn't a problem, since speed is equal, clumsyiness is though.

We don't really know what would it be in character for it, the only material available is the original boss fight and the sequence where you ride it in MS6. But seeing its attacks are all ranged and can fly, I think it wouldn't be in character for it to just fly and shoot against an opponent so large, and trying to dodge is, like, basic tacticts, you can fly better than your opponent you do it.

Eh, it's not really clumsy IMO, just kinda really slow, assuming speed equalized it should move a lot faster. It's probably not a very agile flier but I don't think it's THAT easy to run circles around him.

I mean in the second boss fight the profile links, couldn't it just fly away and use range if it wanted to?

I said clumsy because I saw it struggling to use his wings, without going that high and having to rest or just stay down for awhile after using them, but it might be game design.

I mean in the second boss fight the profile links, couldn't it just fly away and use range if it wanted to?
Who are you referring to? Hundun or Rootmars?

I said clumsy because I saw it struggling to use his wings, without going that high and having to rest or just stay down for awhile after using them, but it might be game design.
It's not resting, it's just programmed not to fly above a certain height since that'd make the fight basically impossible. You could take that as an indication it doesn't approach its enemy too much, but that's still well within fireball range.
Who are you referring to? Hundun or Rootmars?
Rootmars. As a videogame boss it kinda always stays on-screen, which would suggest to me it doesn't really abuse its range.

The second isn't a boss battle. Rootmars allied with the protagonist against another alien race, and is helping them traversing part of a fallen bridge, dealing with the alien airforce in the meanwhile, and the only ways to attack are the vulcans and the brainwaves.

That said, since ranged attacks are its only way of attacking, and it went through a couple of aerial battles, I think it's very likely for it to stay in the air and shoot, trying to stay out of range or avoid the fireballs.

I don't think it's an unrealistic claim, but it's not that clear cut either IMO, since he never actually does it in the series as I understand.

so uh, idk

i'm fine with a hundun loss i guess, in the end even if he doesn't actively try to stay away hundun's still gonna eat a decent amount of bullets before making it there, and i think he does have a chance to survive and make it but he also has a chance not to so rootmars fra

(I mean, I'm also fine with Rootmars losing, but of course we argue for our character)

Anyway, we need more people to vote.

Hundun's like... 30-40 meters? Something like that, eyeballing it

yea i don't think he goes for the grab, whats hundun wincon?
i think rootmars shoots him to death while maintaining distance.

I don't necessarily agree that Rootmars necessarily keeps at range that diligently, and if Hundun gets close he's at an advantage due to superior AP

but generally Rootmars wins here yeah

i mean idk anything about both these characters and rootmars wincon sounds like something hes never done before but i think he likely takes it aswell

If no one has any counter argument, then Rootmars wins for the reasons above.

Is this thing still going on?

Rootmars is going to be downgraded due to the new standard regarding tanks, so the match isn't valid anymore.

So what's going to happen to this match, will a replacement have to be found or will Hundun just go up automatically?

Back