• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

One-Punch Man: Radiation Resistance

In chapter 165 of One-Punch Man, Garou let loose multiple nuclear explosions and a Gamma Ray Burst. These phenomena contain massive amounts of radiation. Despite that, multiple characters were able stand face-to-face with them without showing any effects from the radiation.

Since Garou's passive radiation was potent enough to instantly effect and kill the heroes while the Gamma Ray Burst couldn't, Garou's radiation would also scale above 8.36x10ᴵᴼ Gy (83600000000000 mSv)

Characters who gain resistance:
Bomb
Bang
Pig God
Tanktop Master
Mumen Rider
Zombieman
Psykos
Metal Bat
Flashy Flash
Amai Mask
One Shotter
Lightning Max
Captain Mizuki
Snek
Gearsper

This ain’t it
I there’s no narrative basis for this, as well as the fact that they were being effected 100% but were just taking it like a champ
the whole bang and blast scene makes it relatively clear that they were all going to die very quickly if garou came any closer, and the writer’s intent was definitely not to make them radiation resistant as they specifically comment on how genos is the only other hero that resists it
even zombieman was getting completely owned by it. Gonna have to disagree with this.

Yeah I'm not sure either, being slowly affected by something that slowly affects you isn't really a resistance

Blast and Genos, sure

The ones that deserve something are Flash and Bang, and I believe it's more like Supernatural Willpower than actual resistance

Yeah I'm not sure either, being slowly affected by something that slowly affects you isn't really a resistance

Blast and Genos, sure

The ones that deserve something are Flash and Bang, and I believe it's more like Supernatural Willpower than actual resistance
Blast, genos, and blast’s crew of course

I think the only person here it could really be argued for is Bang and that's as like minor resistance or something, cause he's shown able to stand and attempt to fight while all the others aren't. But otherwise, I don't see really anyone else getting resistance from Garou's radiation.

I mean here's the thing. They were able to tank the radiation from a GRB. That much radiation is more than enough to instantly kill a human. So yeah, they may still get radiation poisoning, but it had way less of an effect on them.

Also Cosmic Fear Mode Garou did make it in front of them, so it's possible that's what gave them radiation sickness.

Alright I started the radiation discussion so lets try to settle it.
  1. We'll probably have to make a blog or something to make it easier
  2. No one other than Saitama would scale to the GRB's radiation output
So to explain here's some radiation figures: Using the SI measurement of radiation poisoning (Sieverts)
  • Being on a plane: 0.001 mSv a hour
  • Natural background radiation someone from the US will receive: 0.1 mSv a year
  • A chest X-Ray: 1.2 mSv per dose
  • The US limit for Nuclear Workers: 50 mSv a year
  • The radiation that the average Chernobyl Recovery workers were it by: 170 mSv
  • Unshielded radiation levels in space: 400-900 mSv a year
  • 800 rads (8 grays) for consistently fatal ranges of radiation death within 7-28 days even with top medical care = 8,000 mSv
  • 1,000 rads (Confirmed threshold for acute radiation syndrome) = 10,000 mSv
  • Radiation received by people when Chernobyl went critical: 16,000 mSv
  • >3,000 rads (30 grays) range where the person usually dies within 48 hours due to radiation exposure and organ failure = 30,000 mSv
  • >5,000 rads (50 grays) is the range where someone will experience death due to nervous system shock = 50,000 msv
  • The Elephant Foot's emitted 80-100 grays per hour, enough to kill any human within five minutes = 80,000 to 100,000 mSv
  • The core explosion radiation of the Little Boy was 240 grays = 240,000 mSv
The radiation for the GRB is correct, however the important part of that science paper is that its assuming an important factor: The GRB is actually hitting something.

What I mean is that GRBs are, to be cringe I guess, the IRL version of an focused energy attack. They do not expand like Supernovas and their energy is focused in the beams. If the beams pass by something its not going to effect it. The Earth was completely missed by the GRB so nothing would scale to the radiation of the beam other than Saitama. The paper for example calculates the radiation exposure based on if a GRB from certain distances hit the Earth and the radiation we would get. But that assumption is if it hit the Earth, not if it just randomly fired.

So my suggestion is as follows:
  • Based on how quickly everyone died its likely Garou was emitting 50-100 Grays of Radiation passively. If not much more. None of them would gain radiation resistance, since they died in a completely standard human timeframe.
  • King, Bang and Flashy Flash can not die immediately under 50-100 Grays, but its still lethal. They also should not get radiation resistance since their deaths also fit within the standard human timeframe for such levels
  • Blast was completely immune to Garou's passive emission which is at least 50-100 Grays
  • Garou was unaffected by his 240 Gray+ nuke punches
  • Saitama was unaffected by 83.6 billion Gray beam
I guess for profiling we would need to make a blog or something like I said and just link that in their radiation sections.

I mean here's the thing. They were able to tank the radiation from a GRB. That much radiation is more than enough to instantly kill a human. So yeah, they may still get radiation poisoning, but it had way less of an effect on them.
Saitama is the only one that should scale to 83600000000000 mSv. I'm quite sure that the intent isn't for the heroes who are fodders to resist that ridiculous levels of radiation. The beam didn't hit them anyways, and they shouldn't scale to even a small fraction of a GRB's worth of radiation.

Saitama is the only one that should scale to 83600000000000 mSv. I'm quite sure that the intent isn't for the heroes who are fodders to resist that ridiculous levels of radiation. The beam didn't hit them anyways, and they shouldn't scale to even a small fraction of a GRB's worth of radiation.
Could we calculate how much radiation they would have taken at that distance?

Could we calculate how much radiation they would have taken at that distance?
You could only calculate it if the Gamma beam hit them. The energy and therefore radiation is completely focused in the beams themselves.

Alright I started the radiation discussion so lets try to settle it.
  1. We'll probably have to make a blog or something to make it easier
  2. No one other than Saitama would scale to the GRB's radiation output
So to explain here's some radiation figures: Using the SI measurement of radiation poisoning (Sieverts)
  • Being on a plane: 0.001 mSv a hour
  • Natural background radiation someone from the US will receive: 0.1 mSv a year
  • A chest X-Ray: 1.2 mSv per dose
  • The US limit for Nuclear Workers: 50 mSv a year
  • The radiation that the average Chernobyl Recovery workers were it by: 170 mSv
  • Unshielded radiation levels in space: 400-900 mSv a year
  • 800 rads (8 grays) for consistently fatal ranges of radiation death within 7-28 days even with top medical care = 8,000 mSv
  • 1,000 rads (Confirmed threshold for acute radiation syndrome) = 10,000 mSv
  • Radiation received by people when Chernobyl went critical: 16,000 mSv
  • >3,000 rads (30 grays) range where the person usually dies within 48 hours due to radiation exposure and organ failure = 30,000 mSv
  • >5,000 rads (50 grays) is the range where someone will experience death due to nervous system shock = 50,000 msv
  • The Elephant Foot's emitted 80-100 grays per hour, enough to kill any human within five minutes = 80,000 to 100,000 mSv
  • The core explosion radiation of the Little Boy was 240 grays = 240,000 mSv
The radiation for the GRB is correct, however the important part of that science paper is that its assuming an important factor: The GRB is actually hitting something.

What I mean is that GRBs are, to be cringe I guess, the IRL version of an focused energy attack. They do not expand like Supernovas and their energy is focused in the beams. If the beams pass by something its not going to effect it. The Earth was completely missed by the GRB so nothing would scale to the radiation of the beam other than Saitama. The paper for example calculates the radiation exposure based on if a GRB from certain distances hit the Earth and the radiation we would get. But that assumption is if it hit the Earth, not if it just randomly fired.

So my suggestion is as follows:
  • Based on how quickly everyone died its likely Garou was emitting 50-100 Grays of Radiation passively. If not much more. None of them would gain radiation resistance, since they died in a completely standard human timeframe.
  • King, Bang and Flashy Flash can not die immediately under 50-100 Grays, but its still lethal. They also should not get radiation resistance since their deaths also fit within the standard human timeframe for such levels
  • Blast was completely immune to Garou's passive emission which is at least 50-100 Grays
  • Garou was unaffected by his 240 Gray+ nuke punches
  • Saitama was unaffected by 83.6 billion Gray beam
I guess for profiling we would need to make a blog or something like I said and just link that in their radiation sections.
Wait, shouldn’t garou scale to the grb via being in the epicenter?

this should be closed, I think
they were all completely downed by the radiation after a small amount of time, and even when garou was defeated quickly, they still had radiation poisoning as metal knight confirmed

Back