• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

One-Punch Man: Nichirin Calc

Okay so this thread happened. I was unaware of its existence and for some reason I didn't get @ed in the thread itself (???) which is pretty odd, but whatever.

Nichirin's swordsmanship revolves around super high-speed cuts. When using the same technique he used against Black Sperm against a falling apple, we very clearly see its movement compared to both Nichirin and the objects cut. The apple is completely stationary, only moving once the mountain in the back was completely sliced. The intention is clearly for the technique's speed to be emphasized by comparing it to the stopped surrounding objects. Black Sperm was seen to be frozen in air right before the cut just like the apple was, and the next panel's "?!" reaction bubble also implies an instant timeframe. This is enough to justify the frozen timeframe figure.

The calc should be added back to the verse page.

Last edited:
Okay so this thread happened. I was unaware of its existence and for some reason I didn't get @ed in the thread itself (???) which is pretty odd, but whatever.
To be fair I did respond to you in your original CRT and link the thread to you but you may not have gotten the notification for it for some reason.

Nichirin's swordsmanship revolves around super high-speed cuts. When using the same technique he used against Black Sperm against a falling apple, we very clearly see its movement compared to both Nichirin and the objects cut. The apple is completely stationary, only moving once the mountain in the back was completely sliced. The intention is clearly for the technique's speed to be emphasized by comparing it to the stopped surrounding objects. Black Sperm was seen to be frozen in air right before the cut just like the apple was, and the next panel's "?!" reaction bubble also implies an instant timeframe. This is enough to justify the frozen timeframe figure.
That is definitely not enough to justify the frozen timeframe from what I can tell.

A single panel can't tell you that characters are "frozen".

Especially since the subsequent panel when we see the full extent that the earth has moved isn't just the very next instant because time has clearly passed.

Especially since the subsequent panel when we see the full extent that the earth has moved isn't just the very next instant because time has clearly passed.
Black Sperm was seen to be frozen in air right before the cut just like the apple was, and the next panel's "?!" reaction bubble also implies an instant timeframe
I don't think that a significant amount of time had passed at all. I don't really see anything that implies that.

I don't think that a significant amount of time had passed at all. I don't really see anything that implies that.
It doesn't really matter because our standards aren't just that "It has to look like hardly any time has passed."

Our standard is this:

Sometimes even something like "time seems frozen" or that nothing moves is stated. Often these kinds of statements are hyperbole. However, should that not be the case one may assume that the apparent speed of the reference object is less than or equal to 0.00275 m/s, as that's the top speed of garden snails, animals that move so slowly that they appear to be nearly frozen in our perspective

And it starts off with:

Sometimes even something like "time seems frozen" or that nothing moves is stated.

There has to be some kind of statement implying it. A non-hyperbolic statement, of course. Our standard says "If the statement is not a hyperbole, then we can assume the apparent speed is the equivalent of a garden snail."

There has to be some kind of statement implying it. A non-hyperbolic statement, of course. Our standard says "If the statement is not a hyperbole, then we can assume the apparent speed is the equivalent of a garden snail."
You're reading the quoted incorrectly. It should be read like this:

"Sometimes phrases like "time seems frozen" or "nothing is moving" can he hyperbole's. However, if that's not the case it should be assumed that the apparent speed of the reference object is less than or equal to 0.00275 m/s."

This does not say that a frozen timeframe needs to be stated. It's just worded strangely.

Instead, there simply needs to be a good enough argument for it:

In this case, if a reference object with known speed can be visually confirmed to not have moved even 1 pixel (which requires the feat to happen in a visual media like a comic, movie or animation) one can figure out the timeframe, by saying that it must have been less than the timeframe that the object would have taken to move 1 pixel.

If that can not be confirmed different upper limits, with similar argumentation, can usually be confirmed. In cases with a moving camera/point of view, it can be useful to compare the movement to an object that can be assumed to be static.
We see the apple static in two different pages/point of views, which is enough to qualify.

This does not say that a frozen timeframe needs to be stated. It's just worded strangely.

That's not how I read it.

We see the apple static in two different pages/point of views, which is enough to qualify.

The apple is not what is being calced here.

What you're calcing is dependong whether Black Sperm is "frozen" in the timeframe is takes the rocks to move a total distance of 53.3808 meters.

Which as I showed in the OP of my previous thread:

Furthermore, the Black Sperm don't even look motionless in the panel where we see the earth has moved. I added some rough arrows here to the panel to demonstrate what I mean; by the time we see the sections of earth have reached their final position, the two swarms of Black Sperm masses have surged forwards and plunged into the newly created gap.

Doesn't look to be the case. By the time we've seen the earth has moved the calced distance, Black Sperm has moved a considerable distance.

So even if we went by this instead:

In this case, if a reference object with known speed can be visually confirmed to not have moved even 1 pixel (which requires the feat to happen in a visual media like a comic, movie or animation) one can figure out the timeframe, by saying that it must have been less than the timeframe that the object would have taken to move 1 pixel.

You don't have sufficient proof that Black Sperm moved "less than 1 pixel" in that timeframe.

Nothing in the OP tells me why frozen time should be used. The OP needs to provide evidence to show that the time frozen method should be used in that moment. It happening quickly means nothing. Usually a statement or a super clear showing is needed to accept this. Absolute lowest timeframe you'd get out of me is one second.

We'd have to see a panel before the split which shows everything/everyone else in the same position that we them see after the split for the frozen time method to be usable. Something like that does not exist, all we see is the split itself, and there's no statement either, meaning we cannot use this method for this feat.

Heck, in that panel we can see Black Sperms falling between the rock pieces. Assuming the frozen time method, they should be in midair as if the ground was still there. The only way this calculation works is by assuming that the initial split was frozen in time, while the panel we actually see takes place later, which is absurd.

My opinion is unchanged and I disagree with the OP.

That's not how I read it.
How you read it was incorrect.
The apple is not what is being calced here.

What you're calcing is dependong whether Black Sperm is "frozen" in the timeframe is takes the rocks to move a total distance of 53.3808 meters.

Which as I showed in the OP of my previous thread:

Doesn't look to be the case. By the time we've seen the earth has moved the calced distance, Black Sperm has moved a considerable distance
The point is that the same technique was used, in which the surrounding objects are depicted as frozen.
The only way this calculation works is by assuming that the initial split was frozen in time, while the panel we actually see takes place later, which is absurd
How is that absurd when we see Nichirin in the air after jumping once the rocks were already in their post-cut position? This panel takes place after the cut while the cut itself happens within the frozen timeframe as that's how its constantly depicted.

The point is that the same technique was used, in which the surrounding objects are depicted as frozen.
I don't think it's relevant. We don't even know if the apple had begun falling yet when he made his cut as he tossed it upwards, so it wasn't necessarily falling at maximum velocity when he performed his technique.

The calc doesn't offer any evidence for why the Black Sperm should be considered frozen during the entire distance the earth moved when it was split. The earth hasn't yet moved any distance in this panel. This panel being labelled as an "instant" timeframe doesn't mean the subsequent movement took place in an instant as well.

I don't think it's relevant. We don't even know if the apple had begun falling yet when he made his cut as he tossed it upwards, so it wasn't necessarily falling at maximum velocity when he performed his technique.
Nichirin gave it the lightest of tosses upwards, and it seemed to reach it's peak elevation before he even unsheathed his blade. Very silly point.
The calc doesn't offer any evidence for why the Black Sperm should be considered frozen during the entire distance the earth moved when it was split. The earth hasn't yet moved any distance in this panel. This panel being labelled as an "instant" timeframe doesn't mean the subsequent movement took place in an instant as well.
The cut happens in the frozen timeframe because that's what we see. The panel you linked holds no weight as the earth hadn't been touched by the bottom panel and yet we know it happened within that frozen time.

This is just being purposefully obtuse Damage, come on. Also, wrong.

aHR0cHM6Ly9maWxlcy5jYXRib3gubW9lL3dqeTBjeC5wbmc=
aHR0cHM6Ly9maWxlcy5jYXRib3gubW9lLzZoa2V4ay5wbmc=

The apple is leaning right when Nichirin tosses it and then leans left in the next panel as it falls and he cuts it

Even if it wasn't like this, the whole sequence it's meant to imply that he is performing the cut as the apple is falling mid air. Arguing against it is just being obtuse.
Because it's the same technique and sequence as the apple cutting feat! The land is split open instantly when Nichirin seathes his blade, same as the mountain getting cut to pieces!

aHR0cHM6Ly9maWxlcy5jYXRib3gubW9lL3VkMzY2ai5wbmc=
aHR0cHM6Ly9maWxlcy5jYXRib3gubW9lL3E3YjlvNi5wbmc=

The cut happens in the frozen timeframe because that's what we see. The panel you linked holds no weight as the earth hadn't been touched by the bottom panel and yet we know it happened within that frozen time.
It's not about the cut happening in the frozen time. It's about the movement of the earth afterwards which is what is being calced.

It's not about the cut happening in the frozen time. It's about the movement of the earth afterwards which is what is being calced.
the next panel's "?!" reaction bubble also implies an instant timeframe

In my opinion, the "?!" points to the rocks' movements happening with the same quickness of the cut itself. Similarly, when Nichirin cut behind the apple, the mountain moved it's distance the moment it was hit.

This is just being purposefully obtuse Damage, come on. Also, wrong.

aHR0cHM6Ly9maWxlcy5jYXRib3gubW9lL3dqeTBjeC5wbmc=
aHR0cHM6Ly9maWxlcy5jYXRib3gubW9lLzZoa2V4ay5wbmc=

The apple is leaning right when Nichirin tosses it and then leans left in the next panel as it falls and he cuts it

Even if it wasn't like this, the whole sequence it's meant to imply that he is performing the cut as the apple is falling mid air. Arguing against it is just being obtuse.

Because it's the same technique and sequence as the apple cutting feat! The land is split open instantly when Nichirin seathes his blade, same as the mountain getting cut to pieces!

aHR0cHM6Ly9maWxlcy5jYXRib3gubW9lL3VkMzY2ai5wbmc=
aHR0cHM6Ly9maWxlcy5jYXRib3gubW9lL3E3YjlvNi5wbmc=
I see what's going on here, the destruction from Nichirin's technique occurs quick enough that the falling apple appears frozen in place although I'm not sure if that'd be applicable to the 7-A calc since that's calcing the rock moving after the initial slash has already cut it apart. The exclamations don't have to be the same between panels, the first could simply be surprise at Nichirin performing his slash technique and the other surprise at the rock splitting cleanly. 1 second timeframe may have to be used or the yield obtained from the cutting itself

Back