• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Off-Site Respect Threads on Wiki Pages (Staff Only)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. Would you be willing to handle it please?

Chuck this
For information about linking off-site respect threads, read the rule concerning that on our Editing Rules page.
Somewhere into our standard format pages, probably the feats section? idk

Well, apparently this:

However, I am uncertain about the specifics.

@Bobsican

I checked the Standard Format page, and we have a text that is a bit similar to this, so I assume this will be the text that will be replaced?
It is possible to add Respect Thread links to the list, as long as they follow the policies regarding the subject provided in the Editing Rules page.

Also, if I am allowed to, I can link to the specific text in the Editing Rules page via a different process so it doesn't get detected by our LinkSearch or DPL (basically, not the full link "vsbattles.fandom.com") because there are moderators that are currently looking for full vsbattles link to clean up. It looks something like this:
[{{fullurl:Editing Rules|#:~:text=Do%20not%20directly%20add%20any%20respect%20thread%20links%20from%20external%20sites%20to%20our%20pages}} Editing Rules]

Last edited:
I checked the Standard Format page, and we have a text that is a bit similar to this, so I assume this will be the text that will be replaced?
Thank you for the information. The current text seems fine to keep in that case. 🙏
Also, if I am allowed to, I can link to the specific text in the Editing Rules page via a different process so it doesn't get detected by our LinkSearch or DPL (basically, not the full link "vsbattles.fandom.com") because there are moderators that are currently looking for full vsbattles link to clean up. It looks something like this:
I do not understand why such an awkward linking method would be necessary.

Okay yeah I don't know why Bob wanted something added if it was already there.

Okay. I still do not understand though, but we should preferably use shortlinks within our wiki when it is possible.
I am referring to FANDOM links that use the feature in web browsers to link to specific parts of a page based on certain words, like in this one:
Chuck this
For information about linking off-site respect threads, read the rule concerning that on our Editing Rules page.
When you click on that hyperlink, it leads you to a text.

That hyperlink would look like this in the editor:
[https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Editing_Rules#:~:text=Do not directly add any respect thread links from external sites to our pages Editing Rules]
DPL parameters and similar features also include this type of link. It's a situation I often come across when searching for pages with complete %vsbattles.fandom.com% or %fandom.com% links to convert them to shortlinks. Def Jam pages, for example, have multiple instances of such links (def-jam-wrestling.fandom.com links that redirect to text), which can be quite frustrating. However, let's not dwell on it. I'm simply expressing how bothersome it can be at times, and it doesn't look great in the editor if used consecutively.

I am referring to FANDOM links that use the feature in web browsers to link to specific parts of a page based on certain words, like in this one:

When you click on that hyperlink, it leads you to a text.

That hyperlink would look like this in the editor:

DPL parameters and similar features also include this type of link. It's a situation I often come across when searching for pages with complete %vsbattles.fandom.com% or %fandom.com% links to convert them to shortlinks. Def Jam pages, for example, have multiple instances of such links (def-jam-wrestling.fandom.com links that redirect to text), which can be quite frustrating. However, let's not dwell on it. I'm simply expressing how bothersome it can be at times, and it doesn't look great in the editor if used consecutively.
Okay. I obviously agree about that our links should use standard formatting.

That editing rule was already drafted and implemented. Quoting from Editing Rules...

It was agreed to be added around page 2/3 of this thread.

After that it seems like the following happened:
  • Bob suggested adding a note on the standard format pages that points to that rule.
  • Bob suggested trimming down "Feats" sections on pages, to only the ones relevant to tiering. I disagreed with this, since such feats would already be included in the relevant sections, making this redundant.
  • You asked if a thread should be created for removing respect threads from pages.
  • Bob, Saman, and I discussed how to format "Feats" sections, if they focused on showing demonstrations of a character's hax.
After that it was mostly people wandering into here, and forgetting what had happened.
We've already addressed one of these, and the rest feel like they could be left for other threads, if people still want to pursue them.

I agree with you about point two, regarding the feats sections.

Point three can obviously be handled elsewhere.

As for point four, I think that our current bullet point list format for feat sections seems fine to maintain/keep.

Last edited:
Okay, I finally found this thread, my notifications here got cleaned and so I struggled to find it.

Anyways, regarding the potential redundancy brought up for a note to a page that already has it, the thing is that we have more standard format pages than the one for characters, that proposal was meant to be added to all of them.

It was already in every single standard format page, except for the locations one, so I've gone and added it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back