• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Nuclear calculators

Gwynbleiddd

VS Battles
Retired
Since we use them all the time to get the yield of an explosion it's important to keep in mind that regular explosions aren't comperable to nuclear blasts due to the mechanics involved.So when we find the yield a nuclear explosion that has the effects we want then we should multiply the result by 0.4-0.5 to find the energy of the blast (since only 40-50% of a nuclear explosion is the blast )

But that shouldn't apply to characters that were in the center of the explotion? most of characters here tanked it from sideway

It's true that a character's durability should only be scaled from the explosion if he was in its center, but that's not the point i'm trying to make.What i mean is that when we use a nuclear calculator to find the yield of an explosion we should multiply the result of 0.5 since regular explosions don't emit radiation etc.

Probably, there are plenty of instancies where we have done this mistake.But that doesn't mean that this problem shouldn't be addressed

Yeah, we shouldn't ignore those problems as annoying as it might appears. Welp, is there any theory supporting this, I'm agreed then

Well, matter/anti-matter annihilation is even more iffy. At least 50-60% of energy is converted into neutrino that won't effect regular matter at all.

Yamatohime said:
Well, matter/anti-matter annihilation is even more iffy. At least 50-60% of energy is converted into neutrino that won't effect regular matter at all.
for matter- anti matter stuff, just calculate the flux

this can be done by finding energy per meter squared at some point away from the center, then, multiply that energy by the factor of suraface area of sphere at that point to the small sampple area that we chose

Yea, something like this seems alright in order to adapt the nuclear calculators to more general explosions.

On that note, surface area is also a thing as Yamatohime says so all feats need to be assessed by that as well.

This seems fine, but wouldn't surface area just be the area of the person being hit/of the blast (modeled as a sphere) and then the energy result being multiplied by that?

Example: 1 m^2/2 m^2 = 0.5*1 kiloton = 500 tons

Perhaps an official nuclear explosion calculation page would be in order?

@LordXcano the result would decrease since the area of a person is smaller than that of an explosion.

@Ant It would be a good idea to have one.

Well, it would be up to you and the other calculation group members to write one.

@LordXcano sorry i went full ****** for a moment.

@Ant When everyone has agreed we will create one.

The suggestion seems fine, though one could consider taking the 30-50% thermal radiation in as well, if heat / a fireball was visibly involved.

The fireball of a nuclear explosion is thousands if not millions of times hotter than that of a normal explosion so i don't find it a good idea.(even if the temperature is achieved for a short amount of time)

hmmm... I suppose that makes sense.

One can add it on top of one can calculate the amount of actual heat from the feat then.

So, is anybody willing to write a nuclear explosions calculations page?

Perhaps it would be in order to create a discussion thread for the calculation group about this topic in the staff only forum?

I do not think that is a good idea. One is for speed, and another is for energy. It would be more convenient, organised, and less confusing, to separate the two concepts.

Back