• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Norse mythology upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the Prose Edda (specifically the book of Sk├íldskaparm├íl), Thor physically breaks off the frozen toe of Aurvandil, a Jötunn, and tosses it into the heavens where it becomes a star known as Aurvandil's Toe. Today this is often identified as Polaris, Sirius or Rigel - all of which are significantly larger than our sun. Not only is this an obvious star level feat for Thor, but we must also consider the fact that such a massive star is only the size of a toe in proportion to the body of a Jötunn. Jötnar, Aesir, Vanir and other divine beings of the Norse pantheon are of quite similar stature, meaning that all Norse deities should be regarded as at the very least star level+ by virtue of size. I'd prefer to say large star level or even solar system level, but I'll leave that to whoever has authority to edit those articles.

In the same book, it is described that Odin turns the Jötunn Thiazi's eyes into stars, indicating that the physical size of the Norse deities is consistent. Furthermore, in chapter 38 of Gylfaginning, it is said that Fenrir's son Sköll - who is much smaller than his father - swallows the sun whole. Yet Fenrir is only moon level+...

So what logical reason is there that the Norse deities are only regarded as moon level+? I realize that this is taken from Jörmungandr, who physically encircles Midgard, but he is clearly not inferior to Thor in strength. Also, many Norse worshipers today - including myself - do not perceive Midgard as the planet Earth, but rather our entire universe, whereas the other eight worlds of Yggdrasil are different universes, or possibly separate dimensions. The Norsemen obviously did not know the size of Earth, so the mythological plane of existence known as Midgard could very well be infinitely bigger. But that is pure speculation, of course. What we do know is the feats I have mentioned above, which proves without the shadow of a doubt that the Norse deities are physically star level at a minimum.

Edenstar said:
Jötnar, Aesir, Vanir and other divine beings of the Norse pantheon are of quite similar stature, meaning that all Norse deities should be regarded as at the very least star level+ by virtue of size.
IIRC, after being killed by Mjolnir, the body of Hrungnir fell onto Thor and nearly choked him with his leg right? And if my memory serves me right, his body was too heavy that not even Thor (injured in the head, but still) or several gods could lift his leg until Magni arrived and effortlessly lifted Hrungnir's leg. And pretty sure in the same tale the giants built a mud giant 9 leagues across the chest as well (Scandinavian league/ 10 km? idk)

About the stars, if the Norse didn't know about the size of Earth I don't think they would know the size of the Sun, or what "stars" really are. Pretty sure we had a discussion regarding Constellation with the Olympian gods. The Sun and the Moon in Norse mythology moved around the Earth, so I don't think we can apply our cosmology to Norse mythology. I'd totally support the idea about Skoll being At least Large Star level though, if we can prove that Norse Sun = our Sun and he devoured it in one go

We can't use that feat to upgrade Thor. It's clearly a fairy tale happensake.

HOWEVER. We can upgrade Norse Mythology with feats I will post on my blog soon.

@Matthew Okay, thanks. Anyway, it was also brought up that Fenrir should be scaled from Odin, who is tier 4-B, which seems reasonable to me.

Okay. Perhaps you could update their profiles then?

Byakushiki Setsura said:
Edenstar said:
Jötnar, Aesir, Vanir and other divine beings of the Norse pantheon are of quite similar stature, meaning that all Norse deities should be regarded as at the very least star level+ by virtue of size.
IIRC, after being killed by Mjolnir, the body of Hrungnir fell onto Thor and nearly choked him with his leg right? And if my memory serves me right, his body was too heavy that not even Thor (injured in the head, but still) or several gods could lift his leg until Magni arrived and effortlessly lifted Hrungnir's leg. And pretty sure in the same tale the giants built a mud giant 9 leagues across the chest as well (Scandinavian league/ 10 km? idk)
About the stars, if the Norse didn't know about the size of Earth I don't think they would know the size of the Sun, or what "stars" really are. Pretty sure we had a discussion regarding Constellation with the Olympian gods. The Sun and the Moon in Norse mythology moved around the Earth, so I don't think we can apply our cosmology to Norse mythology. I'd totally support the idea about Skoll being At least Large Star level though, if we can prove that Norse Sun = our Sun and he devoured it in one go
Your memory serves you well. Indeed, Thor failed to lift the leg of Hrungnir, but we must also consider the fact that Thor was severely wounded at the time (his brain had been pierced by a splinter of flint) and definitely could not muster his full strength (in fact, he is implied to have lost consciousness), and also that Hrungnir was one of the strongest (and thus heaviest) of the Jötnar ― some of whom are many times bigger than Aesir. We also learn that another splinter of Hrungnir's weapon (proportionally not bigger than a finger) crashed into Midgard and shattered, becoming all the flint-rocks in our world. Now, I am uncertain of the total mass of all flint on Earth, or if the element exists on other planets, but it certainly gives an impression of Hrungnir's size.

The mud giant you speak of was Mökkurk├ílfi, whom the giants built to be Hrungnir's second in his duel against Thor, though he was in complete awe of Thor's power and wet himself when he saw the god of thunder approach. As for his size, I have found numerous conflicting translations of that particular passage of the Sk├íldskaparm├íl, with the English translation claiming he was nine miles (14.5 km) tall and 3 miles (4.8 km) across the chest, and the Swedish translation instead saying nine and three alnar (5.3 m and 1.8 m, respectively). I believe that the latter is correct if we assume that the Norse deities use our measurement system in proportion to their own bodies ― which makes sense considering that they are infinitely bigger than humans, and Asgard is infinitely bigger than Midgard (Odin has been depicted as able to hold the entirety of Midgard between his hands). There are a couple of other mentions of human measurements in other realms, where they are also used in proportion to their inhabitants.

My understanding is that the Norsemen were competent astronomers who recognized both stars and planets, and the differences between them, but little information regarding their cosmology has been preserved. And again, the sun and the moon moved around Midgard, and Midgard is not necessarily synonymous with Earth ― it might very well be interpreted as our entire universe. Though some other interpretations show the sun and the moon revolving around the entirety of Yggdrasil rather than just Midgard. Sköll is mentioned as having swallowed the sun whole, but of course I cannot speak with certainty regarding the size of the sun in Norse cosmology.

Matthew Schroeder said:
We can't use that feat to upgrade Thor. It's clearly a fairy tale happensake.
HOWEVER. We can upgrade Norse Mythology with feats I will post on my blog soon.
Some would say that Norse mythology in its entirety is a "fairy tale". When it comes to mythology or high fantasy I don't see how we can accurately separate reality from fiction within said universe. Why would turning a toe into a star be more unrealistic than shaping our world from the body of a dead giant, or simply bending the elements to one's will? All you need is matter manipulation and adequate physical strength to throw that toe into space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back