• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Nioh vs Sekiro : My patience dies twice

If he has combat-applicable Soul Manipulation, I don't remember it. Mostly, if Anjin kills Wolf, he'd absorb his Amrita, and prevent him from resurrecting regardless of various immortality prophecies and mechanics and whatnot, but that's if he kills him the hard way first... and Wolf has the Mortal Blade to cut off Anjin's Soulsborne self-Resurrection in the same way.

Great. FInally a fight where both combatants have a way to get past their respective immortalities.

Given SBA, Sekiro has an edge over Anjin via stealth mastery and greater mobility. Sekiro also has more versitile equipment including an omnidirectional umbrella shield, and a feather that lets him do the Naruto substituition thing.

Plus, if Sekiro lands a stealth kill, it is almost always a killing blow, as stealth kills are known to OHKO.

Overall I give it to Wolf boy.

Edit: Also forgot that Sekiro has way more skills, including one where he draws the Mortal Blade and slashes with it, giving him extra range.

In my honest opinion, Anjin is superior in stealth than Sekiro and can hard counter Sekiro's abilities with ninjutsu and magic.Anjin is already familiar with ninja and stealthy enemies even takes on groups of them,trained directly from great ninjas, faced Jin Hayabusa, he can debuff Sekiro's speed,health,defence and posture(if VE makes ki = posture), instantly buff himself in speed, defence, resistance or utility department, use various skills that would easily make him undetectable by Sekiro via mind manipulation, smoke or shapeshifting etc.Along with all of that he has superior versatility,sixth sense which would make him aware of Sekiro's presence which allows him to set up traps or outright detect Sekiro's stealth, can prevent Sekiro from resurrecting and possibly turn the Mortal blade back onto Sekiro via Composure.Also, Sekiro doesn't normally use the Mortal blade unless he knows the enemy can resurrect or is immortal so even if he does kill Anjin, it wouldn't be with the Mortal blade at first besides Anjin more than likely being aware of Sekiro would have put Touch-me-not and Quick Change on himself to kill Sekiro and survive the stealth attack.

Overall, Anjin is already familiar with stealth and enemies who utilize it, has various skills and magic that would allow him to outstealth Sekiro, dramatically out hax Sekiro, can possibly detect Sekiro or at the very least know of Sekiro before Sekiro knows of him, has multiple ways to deal with Sekiro's attacks, can prevent Sekiro from buffing himself, can dramatically buff himself and has multiple ways to kill Sekiro.

I go with Anjin easily with 4/10 difficulty.

This is 7-B Anjin, he doesn't have endgame experience yet. To add to that, Sekiro using the Mortal Blade is a skill, he can very much use it in combat. Plus, Sekiro can use a variety of fighting techniques varying from samurai techniques to shinobi techniques. He also has the mobility advantage via the prosthetic and since Anjin has a spiritual connection, he can be BFRed by thr fans.

Sekiro's aresenal is pretty good at no selling physical and ranged attacks as tools like the umbrella can block all ranged attacks, and the feather teleports Sekiro away from oncoming attacks.

Plus, I'd argue that Sekiro has more skill as he was trained by Owl, who has fought in multiple wars, and Isshin who has way more experience than I think Anjin has.

What does divine abduction fan have to do with spiritual connections? he doesn't even BFR in character as a matter of fact, nor will just swing that mortal blade around unless he knows the enemy is some sort of immortal.

The fans can BFR opponents who have a more spiritual connection as it only BFRs the monks of Senpo Temple. The original puropse of the fan is just to literally turn people around. BFRing someone by accident is an added bonus.

It's a combat skill, one of the many he can aquire. Using that skill is just as easy as using posession as a skill.

7-B Anjin faced ninjas, stealth enemies, and was still trained but hasn't fully mastered skills and magic but he still has access to the main things that count like traps,debuffs,buffs and has weapon variety along with sixth sense.The only time Sekiro uses the Mortal blade canonically and unavoidable within the story is with enemies that he knows have a form of immortality besides possibly Isshin who he probably assumed has an immortality or just because it looks cool and is symbolic for the game nearing it's end.I can easily give Sekiro the mobility advantage but it wouldn't really matter here with Anjin's traps,debuffs and buffs.Don't believe Divine Abduction would work on Anjin, it doesn't spirit away most enemies nor enemies comparable to Sekiro, the mechanics of it, in-game showings and it's description makes it difficult to determine if it would work at all in a vs match up.

Anjin has magic that can debuff Sekiro's speed,defense,attack, and posture while buffing his own.The umbrella wouldn't be out for long and Sekiro will run out of spirit emblems making the feather useless.

Anjin arguably fought way more skillfull and renowned opponents who themselves also fought in war and have more experience than himself, even early on in the game.

@Sir

This didn't answer my question, where in the game does it state something about a spiritual connection? the ability isn't explained in any way nor is the BFR combat applicable as far as we have seen so that's off the table.

Not all monks are affected by Divine Abduction and not all enemies that have a divine connection are affected in Sekiro either.Also, Anjin's connection with spirits aren't at all comparable and to the monk's faith/spiritual connection and requires reaching to believe they are similiar in anyway besides both having a supernatural connection, the whole BFR thing could be tied to most monks thanks to the belief in being spirited away or something related to purity.

The description for Divine Abduction is far too vague and the gameplay showings are far too specific for it to be effective in most match ups unless it's against someone who has a near identical spiritual connection that the monks have in Sekiro and even then it still is up for debate that it would work.

I never played Nioh but based on what little I saw of said gameplay, I'd hand stealth to Wolf. The monks affected in Sekiro are likely up to chance, but it seems to imply that those with a spiritual connection should be affected by lore, if not by mechanics. I'm not certain Wolf would use it here (I surely wouldn't attempt it on an enemy that looked like this).

I do vote Wolf via stealth and stabby stab Deathblow, I'd like to note, and even though I never did play Nioh I think this might be the best possible matchup (aside from One other immortal boy)

Doesn't seem like it, since it looks like it was off of a statement. AP should be comparable if my assumption is correct.

I honestly can't see why Sekiro's stealth is considered superior or a winning factor here. Anjin already faced enemies who utilize stealth and can literally do all of what Sekiro can do with stealth and then some while also being able to detect/be aware of Sekiro way before Sekiro is aware of him.

Anjin's experience,buffs,debuffs,stealth,skills,traps and versatility easily allows him to win in my personal opinion and as someone who is familiar both games.

Anjin is baseline City level, yeah, @Steven.

One really important thing going for Anjin here, mind, is Ki Pulse. Since he can constantly refresh his energy mid-combat, when switching from one type of attack to another (presumably useful for throwing off Mikiri Counters), it's going to be damn near impossible, in combination with Anjin having the sort of stupidly immense relative power that people like Isshin had against Wolf, to actually break his posture. The ability to absorb energy from Anjin's Electric element Guardian Spirits (not-Stands) and Onmyo Magic would definitely be useful, as would resisting the Fire element stuff, but that leaves Wind/Earth/Water elements more or less unresisted. Anjin has generally more weapons from what I can see- quite a lot more- but I don't know if his auxillary tools are quite up to snuff... both have about 8-10 about Half-Heals IIRC.

I'd say that, since the healing drags the fight on for quite some time, and Wolf would note the AP disadvantage, he would in all likelihood just go for a stealth kill, but Guardian Spirits' whole things are that they can sense Amrita/Souls and actively safeguard the bearer's... so whichever one Anjin brings to the table, even if he doesn't notice Wolf himself, would probably just do the Navi "Hey, listen!" thing in his ear and point Wolf out.

...Hmmm.

Hmm.. so like by annihilating does it mean destroying it in one go or is it gradually? I'm not too familiar with Nioh so just asking.

Stealth is a winning factor because of a Deathblow, which allows Wolf to instantly kill people superior to him via basically gutting them. You don't actually need to break their posture to get an initial deathblow, and he lacks the resilient immortality required to just deal with that.

If Wolf gets a Deathblow, which shouldn't be anywhere near impossible, it is my belief that Anjin will lose. There doesn't even need to be a fight to begin with.

It's taken to be "Will destroy in one go", yeah. That's why the cat had to sacrifice himself to seal the yokai on the spot without asking questions, why the White Tiger boss fight had to happen at the conclusion of Act III, etc., if it was just "summons some demons" that wouldn't have been drastic enough for someone friends with the guy capable of slaughtering them en masse to do that I'd think.

Mr. Bambu said:
Stealth is a winning factor because of a Deathblow, which allows Wolf to instantly kill people superior to him via basically gutting them. You don't actually need to break their posture to get an initial deathblow, and he lacks the resilient immortality required to just deal with that.
If Wolf gets a Deathblow, which shouldn't be anywhere near impossible, it is my belief that Anjin will lose. There doesn't even need to be a fight to begin with.
The thing is Sekiro doesn't use the Mortal blade right off the bat and Anjin has methods of detecting Sekiro.

Almost everything Sekiro fights after obtaining the Mortal Blade required him to double tap with it. Even then, he also had the option of using it as a skill, something in his arsenal he is most definitely using in combat.

At the very least, if Anjin happens to get stabbed to death once and pops back up at the nearest shrine, Wolf will recognize him as the same guy and try for the Mortal Blade in Round Two, "Infested" or no.

@Sir Ovens

That isn't true, he doesn't use it at all unless he knows a person is immortal and even then it's up for debate because he doesn't use it on the Gaurdian Ape or final Genichiro or most regular mobs after he gets it.Sure he can use it as a skill but it wasn't his go to weapon of choice otherwise he would use it over his regular sword.

@ThePerpetual

True but that is unlikely to happen isn't it? and it would give Anjin the advantage overall.

There are other outlets for immortality in Sekiro other than being infested you know.

Maybe not, @Dienomite. I'm just making sure we're clear that no reason to do that isn't a completely literal assertion, and that maybe a reason to do that might naturally result, over the course of the fight, from Wolf having more than two brain cells. At least, assuming a situation where he doesn't just get blown up and killed by Anjin's Onmyo Magic or cut in half, etc.

Side note: While Anjin's Sloth Talisman is stupidly overpowered as all hell and may or may not be some kind of Time Manipulation, and can't be blocked, it ca be dodged and has to actually tag its target to do it's thing. Plus, he has like, what, 4 of them, 6 at most? And Sekiro can, in fact, die twice here, since Anjin doesn't absorb Amrita from things that aren't dead yet? (This being how you're supposed to know if something's faking you out and not actually "dead".) So it's not like Anjin has a guaranteed win via lol timehax or whatever the Sloth Talisman is supposed to be.

@ThePerpetual

But Anjin can boost his speed, can use aoe paralysis and can set various traps that prevent movement options for Sekiro.

@ThePerpetual

Also, Sekiro is clinically and literally dead when he is killed the first time and even if Anjin can't take his amrita the first time he will still know when Sekiro revives because the revive animation (red//pink particals,mist and flower petals) in Sekiro is canon.

Well, of course. They even give you a radar and such for detecting where people are relative to you, sense Amrita/souls lying around, etc. I don't exactly doubt that Anjin has anti-Stealth in his arsenal: I guess more a question that could be dug at is how much he could be expected to have by the Battle of Sekigahara (roughly when this key stops, since the Gashadokuro scales to Edward Kelley IIRC.)

I think he has access to most if not all adept Ninjutsu and Onmyo by Sekigahara.

I think it would be less confusing if the profile specified which tiers Anjin gets novice,adept, veteran and mystic from.

There's not really a way to tell in-game, since "levels" and what-not are gameplay mechanics, unfortunately. I guess you would just have to give him everything that isn't obviously post-game (i.e. Divine class stuff.)

for the record I plan on dabbing on all of the AP ratings on William's page and Nioh as a whole so for posterity this match is invalid

TL;DR Will should be like 7-A at absolute peak and in early game I'd bet he's around Tier 9.

Early game William would be tier 8 at worst for facing numerous enemies who can create real lightning and having spirits who can aswell but he would likely still be tier 7 for beating the Umi bozu who can create pretty violent thunderstorms and Yuki ona who froze a the city of Kyoto who are considered early game bosses. Don't know about his late game tiers though so they might need to be looked at.

Back