• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

New Ability - Multilocation

SamanPatou

VS Battles
Administrator
Some may already know about this proposal, since I have talked about it in the past in the Unofficial Abilities Addition Thread, and now I'm officially proposing it after having tweaked the page as necessary.

I will let the page and the examples provided (both via the front images and the characters under the types [for which I can provide justifications if needed]), but I want to say that, even if at first some of these cases may look just other powers, it should be noticed that many other examples can't be covered by already existing powers, and if they do, they result in a stretch.
For this reason I belive this power is needed, as it would cover a variety of instances that are currently left without anything to define them.

On top of that, the Nigh-Omnipresence page would effectively be absorbed into the Multipresence page, as the latter is basically all forms of multi-location up to nigh-omnipresence but below full omnipresence.

This is the draft of the page

As usual, due to being a staff thread, normal users can comment as long as they provide useful inputs regarding the new addition.

On the Immortality part, for extra clarity's sake I would add how Multipresence doesn't necessarily give that and how type 8 Immortality shouldn't be given should Multipresence make a user harder to kill.

I like the power, but I think we could ideally adapt it into Nigh-Omnipresence while changing its name to Sub-Omnipresence, thus making what we have as Nigh-Omnipresence and Multipresence as forms of that, covering Omnipresence and its sub-types in just 2 pages rather than 3.

On the Immortality part, for extra clarity's sake I would add how Multipresence doesn't necessarily give that and how type 8 Immortality shouldn't be given should Multipresence make a user harder to kill.
What do you think about adding a sentence like "Note that multipresent characters aren't inherently immortal, and there must be good reasons to attribute any level of immortality (such as type 8) to them"

I like the power, but I think we could ideally adapt it into Nigh-Omnipresence while changing its name to Sub-Omnipresence, thus making what we have as Nigh-Omnipresence and Multipresence as forms of that, covering Omnipresence and its sub-types in just 2 pages rather than 3.
I already meant to integrate Nigh-Omnipresence into the Multipresence page, yes.
Maybe I can reference it in the summary with something like: The extension of this ability can escalate from occupying the entirety of relatively small areas, such as a house, to sensibly larger spaces, including planets, galaxies or even universes, effectively reaching levels of Nigh-Omnipresence/Sub-Omnipresence.

Same, I think Sub/Nigh-Omnipresence can be used in the summary, but I think Multipresence is a good specific but still general name.

So should we move the contents of the Nigh-Omnipresence page to become a sub-type of Multipresence, and turn the page into a redirect link then?

Wouldn't Bilocation or Multilocation be the more established name for the ability?

Killing one iteration of the character may result insufficient to terminate the greater being, as they still exist elsewhere.
Maybe it's my bad English, but "result" sounds weird to me in this context. Maybe "prove insufficient" instead?

I'm ok with this in any case.

A question, though: Would all hive mind characters have this or where would the line be drawn?

Multilocation is also a good name.

Maybe it's my bad English, but "result" sounds weird to me in this context. Maybe "prove insufficient" instead?
I'm unsure if it's an actual error, but if it is, it's probably due to my italian brain which used a combination of words that is normal in my language.
"Prove insufficient" is good

A question, though: Would all hive mind characters have this or where would the line be drawn?
I actually wanted to draw a formal sentence to establish that characters who use simple/pure forms of Hive Mind and Duplication would just have said powers, since they overlap.

What do you think about adding a sentence like "Note that multipresent characters aren't inherently immortal, and there must be good reasons to attribute any level of immortality (such as type 8) to them"
I like it, for one part it notes better that having the power doesn't always give immortality, but it still feels like someone could read it and think that if it gives immortality, that immortality would be type 8 (due to being many of the same character, in simple words), but the last sentence of our revised type 8 goes against it. So, was that what it was aiming for?

Ok, I'm going to list the proposed tweaks, along with tagging the ones who proposed them, then update the draft if they get approved.

Adding the following line to the summary after Eficiente's request
The extension of this ability can escalate from occupying the entirety of relatively small areas, such as a house, to sensibly larger spaces, including planets, galaxies or even universes, effectively reaching levels of Nigh-Omnipresence/Sub-Omnipresence.

I like it, for one part it notes better that having the power doesn't always give immortality, but it still feels like someone could read it and think that if it gives immortality, that immortality would be type 8 (due to being many of the same character, in simple words), but the last sentence of our revised type 8 goes against it. So, was that what it was aiming for?
What if I remove the Such as type 8 from the sentence? In that way we would have a less misunderstandable:
Note that Multilocation users aren't inherently immortal, and there must be good reasons to attribute any type of immortality to them.

Wouldn't Bilocation or Multilocation be the more established name for the ability?
Changing the name of the page to Multilocation

Would adding this sentence to the summary solve the issue?

Characters who only demonstrate to possess clear-cut cases of Hive Mind (such as the Mind Flayer), Avatar Creation (such as Darkseid) and Duplication (such as Naruto Uzumaki) should only have said abilities listed on their profile, in order to avoid redundancy.

The draft look good. Though, as usual, I disagree with the types, they seem unnecessary and needlessly restrictive.
I'm fine with having them removed, but what if we change them into Examples on the page itself?
I think it is necessary to keep a certain number of images and descriptions in order to show how broad the ability is, as it can be related to many different factors.

I don't see anything wrong with the draft, although maybe those who obtain the ability thru speed might count of as a limitation when something stops them from moving.
Isn't it already implied by default?

Would adding this sentence to the summary solve the issue?

Characters who only demonstrate to possess clear-cut cases of Hive Mind (such as the Mind Flayer), Avatar Creation (such as Darkseid) and Duplication (such as Naruto Uzumaki) should only have said abilities listed on their profile, in order to avoid redundancy.
Yeah, that sounds ok.

I'm fine with having them removed, but what if we change them into Examples on the page itself?
I think it is necessary to keep a certain number of images and descriptions in order to show how broad the ability is, as it can be related to many different factors.
Yeah, I don't mind if they're there as explanations by themselves, just not as types.

Thank you for the replies. It seems like this new ability page has been accepted then.

Or should we wait a bit more for further input?

I just need Eficiente's response about the suggested fixes below, everything else has been corrected accordingly.

Adding the following line to the summary after Eficiente's request

The extension of this ability can escalate from occupying the entirety of relatively small areas, such as a house, to sensibly larger spaces, including planets, galaxies or even universes, effectively reaching levels of Nigh-Omnipresence/Sub-Omnipresence.

What if I remove the Such as type 8 from the sentence? In that way we would have a less misunderstandable:
Note that Multilocation users aren't inherently immortal, and there must be good reasons to attribute any type of immortality to them.

That would be perfect. I would personally outright write the equivalent to "do not apply type 8 immortality based on this power making you hard to kill" to avoid people from doing that, which I know they will be, but it isn't necessary as everything is understandable as it is.

Even the last fixes have been applied to the craft, I'm going to create the page and a category for it once I have enough time, most likely later today.

The page and the category are here, and I have added them to all the profiles mentioned on the page itself.

As usual, now we can either close this thread or wait for people to propose more characters.

Back