• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mythology Discussion Thread 1

This thread is for mytho nerds like me who loves discussing/learning about various mythologies :)

P.S. If you are knowledgeable about any particular mytho (More specifically their feats.) then please share it here.

I'm pretty well versed in a few Native American mythologies, I'm very interested in them due to my native american heritage.

So far I've made Unetlanvhi, Wakan Tanka, Tawiscara and Sedna. I plan on making a page for Ioskewa next.

Think we should make a page for Native American Gods like how we have one for Egyptian Gods and Norse Gods?

The real cal howard said:
Greek and Egyptian. A little bot of Norse. Thanks, Riordan...
Riordan got me interested in Greek Mythology as well...that and my 5th Grade Teacher who loved Greek Myth, God of War and Riordans writings.

That was an awesome teacher.

Darkanine said:
About Wakan Tanka, texts i've found implies that Native American mythology (at least in Blackfoot case), there are dimensions. Unknown how many, but at least one. The Spirit Realm is considered to being different than the Earthly Plane iirc and is the same size. Considering Native American religions are still used today, shouldn't Wakan be at most multi-universal?

@Aparajita.

Very interesting. I know Cherokee mythology has a multiverse (albeit, a very small one), but I'm not sure if Lakota Mythology does as well since the sources I read implied they believed in a single universe. I'll check back up on that when I get the time.

@MagiSinbad You can ask @Matthew about it, he is pretty knowledgeable about those stuffs.

ummm... i think i would like read it by myself ^__^" it's alway fun to read the myth, in this case, it's the myth of my favorite country :3

Oh ! i also have a question, how powerful is Izanagi compares to 3 gods Susanoo, Amaterasu and Tsukuyomi ?

Izanagi literally spawned all three deities upon washing himself, though he would later step down from his position of power and give it to his daughter Amaterasu, and she is almost universally considered more important and powerful than her sole creator parent.

I have heard that his gift to her upon her ascension into rulership, the Mikuratanano-no-kami (A necklace of 500 jewels) is a symbol of his power, meaning that she inherited all of his power, though couldn't find any evidence of this.

See, the Kami have this thing where the most innocuous daily acts can spawn new deities. A Kami might be making a salad and cut his finger with a knife, and from his blood a deity can be born, or they can be born from lost limbs, from their spit, or imagination, or from their dying bodies. It is said that there are "8 Million Kami", though that is a more symbolical number. Instead, a more reasonable assumption is that there are an infinite number of Shinto deities / spirits, and this weird "Reproduction Method" of the Kami is partially the reason for their innumerable quantity.

However, progeny and age are not always an indication of a deity's power and authority over another, even if said deity was spontaneously generated fully-grown from a sole parent. In fact, this is the reason why Amaterasu is ranked as "Possibly Low 2-C" in her profile.

During the Edo / Tokugawa Period, Japan came into contact with European Christianity, and some of their foreign ideals leaked into Japan's local culture. This is notable in how many Shinto Priests started gravitating towards the figure of Amenominakanushi no Kami, who is the primordial deity of Japanese Mythology, and arguably the creator of the Universe, though his role and influence in the texts is minimal.

Regardless, he fit perfectly with the Christian concept of a Creator God, and many began looking at him as the most important Shinto God, even if he clearly isn't when looking at the texts. Other, more traditional priests disliked this notion, and their response was at times... Aggressive:

"The real intent lying behind the [Watarai's] preference for Amenominakanushi among all the kami is to insinuate that since this kami came into being first of all at the beginning of heaven and earth, his status as First Ancestor of Amaterasu-Omikami makes him superior in esteem to all other kami. But this is the most clumsy, pedestrian sort of reasoning produced by later ages, since there is no particular reason to think that coming into being earlier indicates superiority, nor that coming into being later indicates inferiority. If it were so, wouldn't it be true that all the deities that came into being before Amaterasu-Omikami were superior to her?"
So while Izanagi is a very important deity in Shinto, and the direct creator of Amaterasu, we cannot use progeny as a feat due to the nature of the Kami. However, I would indeed believe that he can be scaled from Tsukuyomi who is evidently Moon Level.

I really enjoy Norse, Egyptian, and Indian Mythology. I am knowledgable about a large amount of mythologies.

How about some more obscure African mythology?

I know in Nigeria (more specifically the Yoruba tribe) there's a potential high 6A chicken- the Hen essentially created the entire earths land mass.

In the same mythology there is a goddess that controls all the seas and oceans of the world- she actually attempted to destroy the world shortly after its creation by completely submerging it. This goddess was then in fact the wife of the chief god who ruled over the entire sky.

Honestly, unlike some of the other mythology on creation the Yoruba myth is quite short and abrupt. And like most myths has its own inconsistencies; but I have found out some interesting stuff;

- The Supreme being is called Eledumare/Olodumare and manifests him self in three forms: Eledumare (the creator), Olorun ( the ruler of the sky and creator of the sun) and Olofi, the conduit by which the earth and heaven are connected ( this aspect is somewhat confusing as it also relates to Oduduwa the first Yoruba king, who ascended into godhood as part of Eledumare but it's unclear and it'll take a little while to completely get the full story)

-Eledumare is essentially the creator of everything, including physical and metaphysical concepts; for instance he created day and night along with the seasons suggesting he had a hand in creating the concept of time itself, he also created destiny (or at least set the destiny of men) and created death. It also appears he has a hand in cause and effect- "the enabler of all who achieve any ends"

-Basically Eledumare is a primordial; established to be above all the other gods and is generally considered to be omnipotent

Did you know that one certain west-african mythology is still actively followed by some of the African population in Brazil? The religions Candomble and Umbanda worship the Orishas.

Matthew Schroeder said:
If you like mythology, watch American Gods.
Seen a bit of it actually, bit too... intense for me.

But I have read the "Norse Mythology" book u suggested by Neil Graham I believe his name was? That was proper good

Edit: Gaiman, Neil Gaiman

It was, but it still didn't really make it any less jarring for me. Generally when he caused trouble, he put ppl in tons of trouble but when push came to shove he still mostly put everything right again. The death of Balder was probably the first real evil thing I thought he ever did, everything else was just him being an asshole.

Back