• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Most Overrated Comic Characters (IMO)

Status
Not open for further replies.
NOTE: Just so you know, I'm not a DC fanboy hating on Marvel. To me, there isn't any Marvel vs DC. They're both good and they're both shitty (and lately they've both been shitty). And DC has plenty of overrated characters like Batman. It really ticks me off how all these popular characters are treated like the greatest characters of all time, when the "generic" ones like Captain America and Superman are actually MUCH BETTER. Anyway moving on...

Cable

IMG 1132

Get used to seeing the name Rob Liefeld on this list. The one-time Levis commercial star and world-renowned worst comic artist in history teamed by with Louis Simonson is March 1990 to create a character that embodies everything that sucked about comic books in the 90's. Glowing eye? Check. Giant shoulder pads? Check. Cybernetic limb? Check. Ridiculously huge guns? Check. Superfluous belt and thigh pouches? Check. Convoluted origin? Oh my God, check.

The only thing more ludicrous than Cable's physical appearance, is his absolutely insane, paradox-riddled existence, which involves cloning, enough time travel to make Doc Brown look like a rank amateur, and - because this was the 90's, and anything "techno" or "cyber" was totally rad - Cable was born with a "techno-organic" virus that threatened to kill him.

Cable has spent the last 25 years time-hopping around the universe, repeatedly failing at the three things he basically exists to do: control/cure his techno-organic virus, rid the world of the villain Apocalypse, and protect the Mutant Messiah, Hope. The virus keeps consuming and/or killing him (don't ask, just go with it), Apocalypse still pops up to do...whatever it is he does, and if my research is accurate, he most recently got his ass handed to him by the Avengers while failing to protect Hope yet again, leaving her in the middle of a war and about to be gobbled up by the Phoenix Force. Nice job, asshat.

Venom

IMG 1133

Venom has amassed a legion of rabid fans based solely on the fact that he...looks kinda cool? That really is the main issue with Venom. He's not a character, he's just a visually striking design.

Venom started out when Spidey traveled to Battle-World in the 80's during Secret Wars. As an alien symbiote that attached to Peter and created his spiffy black costume. Soon, Spidey was acting strangely, realising that the symbiote was basically feeding off him. Spidey used church bells and fire to rid himself of the symbiote, which later found another host in Eddie Brock, a disgraced reporter with a pro-wrestling physique and a serious mad-on for Spiderman. Together, Brock and the symbiote form Venom, and set out to make Spider-Man's life a living hell in a couple of truly classic stories.

The problem with Venom is that he was never meant to be anything more than a TEMPORARY antagonist to Spider-Man. But when the initial Symbiote Saga storyline exploded and resonated with fans, Marvel saw dollar signs and decided to keep bringing back Venom over and over again, telling the same story repeatedly because Brock's character was so thin (kinda like Doomsday). When the Spidey vs Venom conflict lost its potential, Marvel turned him into an anti-hero and spun him off into countless other series, all of which were absolute SHIT.

Gambit

IMG 1134

Hey bro, sweet trench coat. Remember when those were cool for like, SIX MONTHS in the mid-90's? Now the only people who wear them are subway flashers and fat teenagers who read R.A. Salvatore dark elf novels and listen to a lot of Type O Negative.

Gambit here is undoubtedly one of the most overrated X-Men of all time (Wolverine stills holds the title). He's got all the prerequisite qualities of an abysmal 90's creation: a mysterious, convoluted past involving Mr. Sinister (that guy's ridiculousness can fill an entire post on his own), a horribly designed costume with one of those goofy and unnecessary headpieces that allowed his super-cool 90's bangs to hang over his black and red eyes [OH MY GOD GAMBIT IS SO RAD, LOOK AT THOSE BLACK AND RED EYES], a "totally extreme bro!" Mutant power that allowed him to charge objects with kinetic energy, which he used solely on playing cards - because he's a gambler, you see, Mon Ami?

Also, whenever Gambit is featured heavily in a story, readers are subjected to page after page of irritating phonetic Cajun dialog like this: "HELLO DERE MON CHERE, I AM DE RAGIN CAJUN, AND I GAH-RUN-TEE DAT YOU ARE DE HOTTEST T'ING SINCE MY GRANDADDY'S CRAB JAMBALAYA OH HO HO HO!!" Ugh. It's been over 25 years of this, dude. Please just shut the hell up.

Warning: Get ready to get triggered.

Deadpool

IMG 1135
Why the **** am I on this list?? I will have you know I am Marvel's most popular character, you piece of SHIIIIT!

Deadpool started off as a lame Rob Liefeld-created ripoff of DC's Slade Wilson, aka Deathstroke the Terminator (writer Fabian Nicieza even named Deadpool's true identity Wade Wilson because of this), in X-Force. He had all the usual 90's attributes - mysterious past tied into the Weapon X program (are you sensing a pattern here yet?), as well as the obligatory big swords, big guns, and pouches everywhere. In the mid-90's, first under writer Mark Waid, then Joe Kelly, he started to become a "funny" character - spouting off rapid-fire insults and jokes, talking to himself, and eventually breaking the fourth wall to address the reader with amusing observations.

The only thing more annoying than Deadpool's lame fourth-wall breaking and constant, grating one liners, are the legions of fanboys who think Deadpool is the single greatest comic book character OF ALL-TIME. It's like they've never seen a character in a red costume with black and white eyepieces in his mask hurling wisecracks and one-liners at his enemies. Wait a minute, that sounds kinda familiar, hmmm....

IMG 1136

Oh yeah, right, that guy...

Hope you guys enjoyed this shitpost.

I suggest Wolverine (seriously do we really need three of them in one timeline?) and Doomsday, seriously the guy's a literal plot device that got reused time and time again (he's not like someone like Bane who can stand on his own two feet and has a genuine trait other then being strong and showing up in one arc no one liked)

Oh my God. Yes. She started out as just a female henchwoman who is in love with the Joker.

How tf did she get where she is today?

I know it's probably a stereotypical answer, but I'd consider Superman the most overrated comic book character. Not because he's "Generic", (It really depends on the incarnation) but so many people wank the shit out of him. In fact, he isn't even the most powerful Justice League member, Martian Manhunter is way too good for Supes IMO. Not to mention that even other characters such as Wonder Woman and Shazam are arguably almost as strong as Superman, but at least they don't piss in their tights every time they get close to a green rock; (LOL no wonder Superman wears his underpants on the outside). Heck in the New 52 continuity, (which is the best mainstream incarnation of Superman to me), they kind of depowered him and turned all the characters who were originally underdogs; Aquaman, Starfire, Cyborg, ect, into characters who kick Superman's ass all the time. Basically, the weaker Superman is, the better character he is.

Anyway, I disagree with Batman and Deadpool being overrated, but I do understand and agree that their fanbases are obnoxious as hell; but so are most Superman's fans. I would suggest Wolverine, even though I love the character, he's also got his share of fanboys wankers. Anyway, I consider Lobo, an underrated character, a much better anti-hero than both Wolverine and Deadpool.

Anyone gonna mention him? Anyone? No? Okay, I'll do it.

This asshole.

Let's be real, the guy is part of the reason why the term 'omnipotent' is so widely misused in VS debating. His over-the-top claims of omnipotence, omniscience and insurmountable power would have been great if he had actually lived up to any of them, but for a self-proclaimed 'omnipotent being', he was trash-tier. Poorly-written, kept taking Ls to people he should have been able to fingerflick to death, got his powers stolen by a machine built by a guy who shouldn't have even been able to touch him (those of you who didn't click the link can probably guess who I'm talking about by now), had to learn everything by experience, and basically became such a mess of bad writing that they had to retcon him to death and beyond.

And yet he's loved by so many comics fans for whatever reason, and a very massive portion of the VS Community rides him like a ******* Harley Davidson. 'This man is unbeatable', 'Azathoth is fodder to him', 'the only thing stronger than him is TOAA'.

**** outta here. Ga was a better-written god-tier than you, and we never even got to see what that guy's face looked like. And he's stronger. Boom.

Oh, you mean BeyonderFraud BeyonderGod?

Good God. Yeah, I ran into him some time ago on another site. I know all about his jackassery. Dude was one of the people trying to tell me that Azathoth isn't omni because 'he's a ripoff of an older character and weaker dudes can still put him to sleep'.

And then claimed he actually read Lovecraft. Classic.

He got permanently banned from Every versus debating site, including ours, so made his own site where he can wank the characters he likes guilt free.

@DarkDragon

I have no problem with Superman being strong, and I like his character and stories. But I think I see what you mean. It's not a matter of how powerful Superman is OVERALL, but rather how much more powerful he is than EVERYONE ELSE that is a turn off.

I honesty prefer the Justice League as equals to Superman in strength, I always saw Superman as the ultimate hero in terms of character and morals.

I just read the Post-Retcon Beyonders Profile Summary.

Dear God...

Marvel wonders why their books are so shitty? Why they almost went bankrupt cause no one was buying them?

At least DC has the courtesy to not make any like, big drastic retcons mid-continuity. In fact, at least they have the courtesy to reboot the continuity every few years to keep up with the times and make it so people don't have to read 75 years of history to understand current comics. Marvel always keeps the same continuity since they began, and it is CONFUSING AS ****.

I mean, look at the Beyonder! His character was DRASTICALLY rewritten not once, not twice, but THREE TIMES. And that's just for ONE CHARACTER! Don't get me started on others!

What the ****, Stan Lee?!

@Ever

Yeah, but Marvel does this shit, like REGULARLY.

• Original Sin
  • Gwen Stacy boning Norman Osborn
  • Johnny Storm's Skrull Marriage
  • Spider-God
  • Clone Saga
  • Jean Grey
  • One More Day
  • Heroes Reborn (1 & 2)

TBF, DC also did a retcon for Final Crisis where everyone but a few didn't know the existence of the New Gods, so Grant Morrison told everyone a year in advance that they can't use them in stories anymore until Crisis. But then it was like everyone got together and was like:

"I know Grant told us not to do this, but let's do it anyway, just to see what he does."

So then Grant had to retcon the retcon saying why certain people THINK they knew about the New Gods, but in actuality...

So yeah.

Newendigo said:
Harley Quin: Basically DC's Deadpool, but to a more lesser extend I think...
I missed this the first time around, but...

Yeah, I dislike her immensely these days. Used to love the character in Batman TAS thanks to her being a genuinely good foil to the Joker, but just about every other incarnation in recent memory has irked me to no end. And trying to read through her solo comics was a chore I gave up on a long time ago. 'Poor-man's Deadpool' indeed

Deadpool himself is essentially The Mask if you took away his blatant toonforce, stripped his design of all its personality and then made him less funny. The latter came first, also; his first issue debuted in 1987 and was re-released in 1989.

I guess I could say I'm kinda mixed when it comes to Doomsday on one hand I think he's a great foil for Superman and his backstory is genuinely interesting and tragic but he's kinda lacking in the personality department and he's hasn't had the biggest impact outside of killing Superman he's kinda like Superman's Bane In a way

Doomsday is easily Superman's equivalent to Bane.

However, I'll give DC points for keeping the setup simple with that character. His gimmick is basically the same as Attitude Era Stone Cold Steve Austin; Arrive. Raise hell. Leave. (Except he doesn't leave on his own)

Hunter/Prey was absolutely stupid, though.

When DC did Rebirth, they reintroduced Post-Crisis Doomsday. Including recapping his dumbass origin from Hunter/Prey.

It hurts seeing my favorite superhero get hit with such awful executive decisions.

By the by, what's the story with Hunter/Prey?

More or less, yeah.

It's also where the infamous scene of Doomsday beating the shit out of Darkseid comes from.

By the way, that was all so they could undo the marriage of Peter Parker and Mary Jane, that they've been wanting to do for years.

And by years, I mean as far back as Maximum Goddamn Carnage.

@King

I need to hear this. Leave me a message about it.

@Teen

I remember a story where a woman who can control arachnids wanted to turn Spider-Man into a spider monster and mate with him.

No I'm not kidding.

This is kinda off topic but shouldn't Doomsday have resistance to existence erasure like Superman since he tanked Darkseid's omega beams to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back