• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Monster Hunter Espinas Update

Sigilavox

He/Him
Hi all. I've made a profile revision for Espinas (current version here).

It's mostly just visual touch-ups and source correction:
  • With Sunbreak out, there's new evidence to support its 6-C rating with its turf war against Kushala Daora (that either can potentially 'win', proving that they are at least able to contest each other), so that's been added.
  • I've also cleaned up its powers and abilities section in accordance with the new formatting guidelines using a tabber. Links to its abilities in action are provided in the Standard Tactics section.
  • Espinas Rare Species has no evidence of using Dragon Element, so the relevant abilities have been removed. It's still weak to Dragon, however, but not Water, because Sound Element (which it is vulnerable against) is just Water + Dragon and being weak to the "Water + Dragon" element alone doesn't imply being weak to Water, as it could simply just be weak to Dragon.
  • The three Espinas variations have gained images as well as several abilities indicative of their performance in combat with linked sources.
Does it look good?

Last edited:
Great! It is done; I have also edited the link for the now-obselete "Current" page to the correct URL.

Great! It is done; I have also edited the link for the now-obselete "Current" page to the correct URL.
Bruh, you can't change the Profile without Staff Confirmations.
It's a minor and non malicious offense but yeah @XSOULOFCINDERX is right you need mod approval before making changes (one or two of them for small stuff and three or more for anything larger). Only really tiny stuff (like correcting grammar) can be altered on a profile without mod approval iirc.

It's a minor and non malicious offense but yeah @XSOULOFCINDERX is right you need mod approval before making changes (one or two of them for small stuff and three or more for anything larger). Only really tiny stuff (like correcting grammar) can be altered on a profile without mod approval iirc.

Ah, I see. My bad. How would I go about getting mod approval?

I think it would be inaccurate to remove its weakness to water under these circumstances. The game seems to still portray a weakness to water, it just doesn't show it as explicitly as before. Everything else seems fine.

I think it would be inaccurate to remove its weakness to water under these circumstances. The game seems to still portray a weakness to water, it just doesn't show it as explicitly as before. Everything else seems fine.

Thank you so much!

The base Espinas species actually never had Water weakness in its VS profile, as it was and is not particularly weak to Water; it's actually almost completely average in Sunbreak (avg. body hit zones of 7.5 ~ 11.7) to Water, for example being more resistant than Diablos, which doesn't have Water listed as a weakness in the wiki profile.

My comment about removing Water weakness was specifically for the Rare Species (which isn't in Sunbreak) due to it never being stated as specifically weak to Water, just to Dragon and Sound Element, the latter of which is just half-and-half Dragon and Water (weird name). I don't think being weak to Dragon and (Dragon + X) necessarily implies you're also weak to X. This doesn't prove it isn't weak to Water, though. If gameplay data from Frontier comes out listing the hit zones for comparison, we'd know for sure.

Yeah, I understood which key you meant. Though I get what you're saying now, that it never had a weakness to specifically water- I had thought that was a new development, that it was now weak to sound and before it had been weak to water. Under this new context, I think it's fine to remove the weakness to water. No contest there, not from me.

Back