• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

MLP cosmology size

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are you acting that my only argument is that the ponies can't be that powerful? I'm fine if they are that powerrful, i'm just arguing that comparing the Sun, that doesn't act like the Sun, to our Sun doesn't make sense no matter how you spin it, and that ponies show BILLIONS of times more power than they have ever shown and taking that at face value is fishy.

And you have seemed to have missed all my other points about how

1.) The sun doesn't act like our sun in any meaningful way, and has shown nothing in relation of it being as big as our sun.

2.) The moon not only being way to small to be our moon, being in front of the clouds, being habitable by beings who need to breath air, and other inconsistencies.

3.) The fallacy of allowing MLP to get away with having feats based on the Sun being like our Sun, despite not, is fine, but other franchises like Godzilla or Superman (despite being far more based in scientific fact that MLP) having Black Hole feats being dismissed for the very same reason.

4.) Using Word of God, from a God that doesn't even seem to know the question being asked in any more capacity than "i believe" and not even being the one who gets the final say in the story anyway.

and to be fair

5.) Saying that Unicorns doing things that is so far above their paygrade that it would be laughed at in any other franchise, being hand-waved away because "wizards".

And others.

Your posts are so large and repetitive and full of "I can't believe ponies are this strong" statements that they are tiring to read. We are going in circles.

1) Stated to be the same size as ours, get over it

2) The moon is the same size as ours. Solar and Lunar Eclipses happen in-universe and the moon has meteoric craters like our, get over it.

3) Sun feats =/= Black hole feats. You are the only person who insists that they aren't real celestial bodies. And the argument that it's an outlier is also pathetic since Celestia did it casually for 1000 years.

4) So what? She said that it's the same size as ours and everything lines up with that. Both the Earth and Moon are like ours.

5) "I can't believe cute ponies can be this strong even if Starswirl a regular Pony is stronger than the Alicorns". Not even worth discussing

1.) It was stated by one writer to be the same size as ours, fair enough, that's not what i'm arguing.

2.) Where is it stated to be the same size as ours? outside of the comic (which showed that moon wasn't all that big if it could be shown behind clouds in the distance, and not be that sizeable in comparison to the landscape.

3.) My point with that is that they don't ACT like celestial bodies. Sun's don't revolve around planets, nor are they easily able to jump up and down around the planet without causing damage on a scale that would rip planets apart.

Why are we using real scientific accuracy for the Sun, when the Sun doesn't act in any way scientifically other than it is in the sky and it shines brightly?

I'm being repetitive because i'm trying to get this one argument across "If the sun does not act like our Sun in any way, why are we just assuming that it is like our Sun?" i don't care if the moon act's similar, or the earth is round.

The Earth is round, and the moon orbits the sun in this map.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-gLS9b3J0V...NcUc/s1600/576px-Ptolemaic_system_2_(PSF).png

Yet that entire map is completely differen't then how we would ever see our Solar System, and noone would argue that the Sun would be rendered accurately in that drawing.

I don't get your insistence that just because the Earth and Moon act like our Earth and Moon (even though the Planet doesn't really either, as seasonal changes are caused by the pegasi or magical creatures, which doesn't make any sense of how we know the earth works) doesn't automatically mean that the Sun, which doesn't act like our Sun, is like our sun.

4.) The Word of God is sketchy, but whatever, i've heard she is a big writer in the series, so i won't argue against her word.

5.) When is it ever stated that Starswirl was more powerful than the Alicorns? I haven't watched the show in a season so did they even mention it? Or was it in the comics and journal (which from what i hear is actually secondary canon, so it may not be true of the show.)

Also... didn't you say there was Unicorn council that raised the Sun and Moon? Why have a council if Starswirl is more powerful than the Alicorns? Why can't he just do it himself? What did the Unicorn's do when there wasn't a starswirl, since he is unique and more powerful than the other Unicorns, how could they do it? Why has no other Unicorn in the show ever shown even 1/1,000,000,000th of the power needed to move the Sun?

Listen, if the writer of the series said the Sun in the same size, then whatever, if won't argue against it anymore. But my argument against everyone in this thread just saying "the sun is a sun, therefore is must be like our sun, even if it's different" has been my point all along. You can't just say something is something else, without showing any evidence of it being like something else, especially when all we have to go off of is the the other things in the Universe may work.

It's like saying "Well in the DC Universe, the Sun and Moon work like ours, gravity and various scientific principles are the same, therefore, Superman going FTL must mean he has Infinite+ energy, because it takes that much to go FTL as we know it" We are applying our rules to a world that does not operate on our rules.

Starswirl mentored the Alicorns at a young age and is held in high regard by them, in addition to legitimately showing strength on par with them in the comics. It's not contradicted in any way in the show so it should be fair play here. I also like how you didn't mention Starlight, who completely invaldiates your 5th point.

They DONT revolve around the planet, they are MOVED VIA TELEKINESIS. I dunno why people always seem to forget this fact. It doesn't destroy the planet because they are moved in the same way they are around our planet, keeping the ecosystem steady and stable.

The Moon is the same size as ours, it's not that hard to see. It looks and acts exactly like our's, and is big enough to block out the sun in the series, which contradicts the instance in the comics and thus overrides it.

Just because he mentored them doesn't mean he is stronger than them. Professor X mentored Jean Grey in her telepathic powers, and she's arguably on a much higher level than him. Just because they hold him in high regard doesn't mean he his their equal, they could just as easily be doing it out of respect. Is it ever stated he is as powerful directly?

Also the comics are apparently secondary canon, so what happens in them may not be entirely accurate to how the show portrays him. Hell, the comics can't even get his appearance right.

Star_Swirl_the_Bearded_comic_issue_17.png

https://vintage.ponychan.net/chan/files/src/142907473843.png

Also, according to information i got from Journal of the Two Sisters, it is stated that "his beard turns gray after his magic is depleted by a failed attempt to lower the moon by himself". ]

Why would his magic deplete after doing something that the Alicorns can do casually for thousands of years? So even the other pieces of media contradict him being as strong as the Alicorns. Also, isn't Starlight by definition an outlier for all other characters? Since she was able to do something that no other Unicorn could ever do and face an alicorn? (which to be fair was Alicorn Twilight, which i'm not even sure was ever stated to be as strong as the other Alicorns, though i may be wrong.)

"i doesn't revolve around the planet"

Didn't that one guy who asked Amy about the Sun mention "Doesn't Celestia revolve the Sun around the Earth" and she answered yes? Doesnt that men they do in fact revolve around the earth?

"because they are moved the same way they are around our planet"

I'm going to assume this was just worded weirdly, but the Sun does not naturally move AROUND our Planet, we move around it. Which is what i'm arguing. I also forget how Twilight moving the sun up and down multiple times can be considered "normal" and not break the shit out of everything.

Why is the moon considered the same size if it's never been stated, and in fact been shown to not be in secondary canon to be much smaller, just because of Solar Eclipses? I doesn't mean that the Sun or Moon are the same size, and that's pretty much the only accurate thing about them, is that the Sun at least farther away. Doesn't mean its the same size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back