• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mercer Frey Downgrade part 1

I've been planning on making this thread for months now but college started up and I never found the time to make this. This probably isn't even the time to make this thread because I have class in an hour, but I need to make this at some point or else it will never be made. Pretty much I've been wanting to use Mercer in a versus thread ever since I saw him get a profile; but three seconds into reading it I saw the profile was going to get shot down immediately. So I might as well downgrade it before anyone else does.

Powers and Stats

"Powers and Abilities:"

I'll get to these when I make part 2.

"Attack Potency: Large Building level (As a rogue, it's likely that he had battled and slain monsters like giants.)"

This is the equivalent of saying a CIA agent is 9-B because they kill bears. Now you maybe saying "why would a CIA agent have killed a bear"; that's exactly my point. Why would an assassin/thief have killed a random animal that had nothing to do with him?

Now maybe this is trying to scale Mercer to the average adventurer and just says he killed Giants as a way to link the calc to Mercer's profile. But the average adventurer is only 9-B. Aela the Huntress is a werewolf; she's hilariously above the average adventurer. The average adventurer is the thirty separate bodies you find littered around a frost spider or a boulder trap; not someone like Aela that beats giants to death for fun. This is especially the case since the Elder Scrolls legends card and lore book consistently place the average adventurer around 9-B with the average card having them destroy things like wooden walls or a wooden fence because they're too lazy to jump over it. Now you may be saying he's scaling to J'zargo, but I've been planning to downgrade his durability for a while now, also Mercer is an assassin so going for direct kills that requires him to overpower an opponent doesn't really make much sense. Both of his swords have a way to ignore durability, and even after amping himself with the skeleton key his first move is to turn invisible. Nothing about Mercer says he would fight you face to face, hell every time he did attack someone in the story they were either vastly weaker, he immediately attempted to paralyze them, or incapacitate them.

"likely Mountain level (He used his unlocked power to shake the cavern where the entire city of Irkngthand was built under. The side effect of his quake is the collapse of a massive Dwemer building. Historically, the first Nightingales were powerful enough to carve a cavern out of a mountain that housed their first headquarter, and Mercer Frey is way above their league)"

Now here is the biggest problem; The whole reason I made this thread is was because of this. That's not mountain level; it isn't even close. Earthquakes are usually 8-A to low 7-C, but even violent earthquakes can get you high 8-C to 8-B+ results depending on how close the shaking/destruction is from the epicenter. I bring this up for two reasons. First to be 7-A he would have to cause a magnitude 9 quake which would have destroyed the entire cave they were in instantly and would have made it near impossible for the characters to stand; this didn't happen. The only thing Mercer's earthquakes destroyed was a thin layer of rock that was already underneath a massive lake and caused a few rocks to fall. Not only did he barely do 9-B damage despite causing this earthquake right next to the part that got destroyed, the part he destroyed was already under the stress of holding hundreds of tons of water. Second point is his quake being high 8-C lines up with his other feat after amping himself with the skeleton key. Earlier he causally knock over a building and the characters that are most knowledgeable on Mercer are much more impressived by him knocking over the building then when he caused this earthquake. Another extra side note, it took him multiple earthquakes to destroy the nearby wall: first was at the start of the fight and the second was when he died. The second one was the one that caused a hole to open up in the lake.

Edit: Just reread the quest. The cave did collapse so 7-C is probably going to be the most likely option. Which lines up pretty well with other Elders Scrolls characters.

Edit two: Earthquakes just got shot in the foot by revisions.

His supporting feat is pretty much irrelevant. The "mountain" that was carved up was tiny and the time frame is unknown. A 9-B could carve out an entire mountain if you gave him enough time. Even assuming they carved up a mountain the size of Mount Everest in an instant it wouldn't scale to Mercer anyways as he killed none of the ancient members of the Nightengales. He killed a relatively new member and he could have done it through poison or ways that negate durability, since every weapon he owns has at least some form of durability negation on it.

I personally think Mercer Frey attack Potency should look like this.

Attack Potency: Wall level (Should be comparable to the average soldier of Tamriel). | at least Small Building level (He causally knocked over a dwemer tower, caused an Earthquake upon his death).

Revisions to Earthquakes just shot Mercer in the foot because the only thing we see effected by the earthquake was literally touching the cause of the Earthquake. I'm not even sure this feat is even usable anymore so we'll have to go with the next best feat for now.

Pre Skeleton Key | Post Skeleton Key

"Speed: At least Massively Hypersonic+ (Is a Nightingale surpassing the skills of many thieves in history. He is easily excelling against individuals who can cast shock spells as fast as real lightning and react against them)"

"Is a Nightingale"

What does that have to do with anything at all. If you're going to put irrelevant information like this on the profile, could you at least put the thing they actually scale to before the irrelevant information. Also him dodging lightning spells is never shown and I don't remember it ever being mentioned. I doubt he fought any of these Massively Hypersonic individuals face to face (ignoring the fact they don't exist since only high 6-A and above characters in the Elder Scrolls scale to shock). His first move against people that were inferior to him was to turn invisible and paralyzed them. His paralysis spell has a massive AoE so I'm pretty sure if he ever fought someone with Massively Hypersonic+ attacks or reactions he just snuck up on them and paralyzed them, rather than fighting in a head to head confrontation.

His speed should be subsonic like all other Elder Scrolls Low tiers.

Striking Strength: Large Building Class, likely Mountain Class (Can trade blows against The Dovahkiin)

The Dovahkiin is Low 7-B or High 6-A so this puts even more holes in the 7-A tier for Mercer.

"Durability"

Should be downgraded for the same reason as his ap.

"Stamina: Exceptionally High (As a Nightingale, fitness is exceptional to be chosen by Nocturnal in the past)"

Being fit isn't high. A real life human could run for multiple days straight and fight for hours while sick and shot multiple times. They have peak human stamina (which is vastly lower than high on this site (High is for fighting multiple days straight with multiple missing limps)). Unless Mercer has a better feat he would be 'athletic human' at best.

"Range: Mountain Level (Tens of kilometers) with magic and powers"

Mountain level range doesn't exist. Ignoring how mountains vary in size, we put the amount of Kilometers on this wiki not the object that character effected (unless it's a planet or larger and even then it's stellar not star level). Also ten kilometers is pulled straight out of thin air, the area he effect with his Earthquake is unknown. The mountain that was carved up is a hill at best, how much was carved up per swing is unknown, and Mercer doesn't even scale to that anyways.

None of his other powers showed this kind of range either.

"Standard Equipment: The Skeleton Key, a metaphysical artifact that can unlock hidden potentials, concepts, gods, and impossibilities."

Just put: the skeleton key. Putting what it does isn't what that part of the profiles is meant for. The Skeleton Key's abilities would go under the notable attacks section.

"Intelligence: Gifted, he was accepted into the ranks of the Nightingales, and is a functional agent of Nocturnal. For such acceptance, his skills and talents must be second to none among the populaces of Tamriel."

I find it hard to believe he's "second to none" when people like the Ebony Warrior and Eternal Champion are just casually running around Tamriel. Don't get me wrong, he probably should be gifted in intelligence, but second to none is laughable.

I am not able to help you on my own, but I know that there were quite a lot of rather unreliable TES profile pages added by a regular member after Matthew and Ultima were done with their revisions. Perhaps these should be deleted at some point.

I don't want this profile to be deleted; despite its problems. Mercer definitely deserves a profile, and it shouldn't take to long to fix. The only reason it took me so long to make this downgrade was college. Other profiles like Ulfric Stormcloak probably should be deleted for now since it has a lot of similar problems; but I think we should wait until more of a conversation is had (especially since Matt already deleted a crap ton of profiles like these ones and we should start trying to fix them rather than delete them and never have them show up again).

I am not able to help you on my own here. My apologies.

StarSlayer666 said:
Finally i will be able to do Geralt of Rivia Vs TES without being a stomp.
Just want to say before I go to class. He probably is going to be high 8-C if anything else due to scaling to novice mages (post skeleton key). I just think he should be 9-A right now until someone revolved in the Earthquake revision can say which magnitude his quake should be. At worse I see it scaling to the high 8-C end but I don't know enough about the earthquake revision to say. It definitely isn't over 8-B+ due to how ridiculously close the destruction was to the epicenter. I'll probably ask dargoo to respond to thread after class today.

Yeah, this looks fine. Mercer even being 9-A is a bit jarring but his current tiering is pretty off.

Dargoo Faust said:
Yeah, this looks fine. Mercer even being 9-A is a bit jarring but his current tiering is pretty off.
Mercer being 9-A is jarring to me as well, but none of his feat pass that tier. He only knocked over the dwemer tower so that could range from 9-B to 9-A (the tower was barely damaged), his spells can vaporize people (9-A); he probably should be coparable to novice mages. But he isn't a mage, and many other mages just have 9-A feats and nothing else.

My biggest concern is that his Earthquake probably is above 9-A, but the destruction it caused was 9-B to 9-A and that was within the epicenter (and it took two Earthquakes and the weight of a lake to cause that damage). Do you know what magnitude the quake should be post Earthquake revisions, or should he stay 9-A for the time being?

I don't even think him knocking over the Dwemer tower was really him having superhuman strength, given how ancient and unstable the building was in the first place.

I don't remember it being unstable and dwemer structures have survived in far worse conditions before, mostly intact, so age shouldn't have been a problem. It's also just a supporting feat or place holder for Mercer's Earthquake (if it's even usable) and being able to vaporize people (the weakest spells in the Elder Scrolls vaporize people all the time).

I can recall quite a few times in Skyrim where Dwemer architecture falls apart.

He caused an earthquake? When was that?

He caused two Earthquakes during his fight. Once at the begining and then when he died. It's the whole reason the cavern started to collapse.

Also when the characters talk about him knocking over the tower they mention that the skeleton key was why he was able to knock it over.

I have to unsubscribe from this thread due to time constraints. I hope that Dargoo can handle it on his own.

Keeweed said:
He caused two Earthquakes during his fight. Once at the begining and then when he died. It's the whole reason the cavern started to collapse.

Also when the characters talk about him knocking over the tower they mention that the skeleton key was why he was able to knock it over.
He caused them? That doesn't sound right. And even if he did, if it was just localized to the cavern it probably wasn't a proper quake. The cavern collapsing could also just be a result of it being shook and being a bit unstable, too.

I don't recall that either, a quote for reference might help.

I'm working on a project right now and I'm going to class soon. So I'll send the building qoute after class. He did cause the quakes (a blast of energy can be seen blasting off him when he died and when started the fight, which is when the quakes happened). However as you pointed out the quakes were really weak and the cave mostly fell apart due to the lake above it so he'll probably be 9-A anyways.

Sorry for being gone so long. Someone broke into my car and I had to go work and finish my project, but I'll now be able to redo the quest to see when Mercer knocked over the tower and when he caused the Earthquakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teIYk3W1v-k (I realized watching videoes of the quest would be faster than playing through it)

At 12:20 he cast a spell that causes the quake and the same effect can be seen when Mercer dies and the quakes start up again. Earlier in the quest you can feel the qaukes from the other side of the cave system, but they only shake the screen and since the rocks fell and stuff collapsed only in the epicenter I doubt this would get good results due to the revisions. It maybe the high 8-C end of our Earthquake chart, but I don't how badly our Earthquake revision downgraded Earthquakes.

Edit: Just want to say the cave didn't collapse like I originally thought, the pipe system in the room just broke and flooded the cave. Mercer is 100% not 7-A and I have no clue how he managed to stay in that tier for so long.

Found the building qoute, but still looking for an image for scale:

Brynjolf: So this is what we heard. The entire tower collapsed.

Karliah: The only reason to do that would be to block pursuit. It must be Mercer. We'll have to find another way around.

Brynjolf: Mercer was able to knock this thing down? Gods...

Karliah: It's the Key, Brynjolf. In his hands, there's no telling what he's capable of.

It definitely didn't fall due to age or decay.

Now I feel like an idiot, because I just realized I got two videos mixed up in my memory since both were death montages with the same music playing. Mercer doesn't actually use lightning spells like I thought so he has less of a reason to be 9-A. This revision now completely depends on his Earthquake, because he's either going to be 9-B or High 8-C depending on the magnitude of the quake.

Base mercer shouldn't scale to an average adventurer because hes a nightingal a champion of a daedric prince thats downplay to compare him to an average adventurer who would likely die to a sabrecat, mercer isnt just a random thief before he had the skeleton key.

AquaMillionDollarMan said:
Base mercer shouldn't scale to an average adventurer because hes a nightingal a champion of a daedric prince thats downplay to compare him to an average adventurer who would likely die to a sabrecat, mercer isnt just a random thief before he had the skeleton key.
Except being an Nightengale means absolutely nothing without feats. Especially in Mercer's case because when he did fight a Nightengale to get the key he use underhanded tactics and had to kill that Nightengale before he even noticed or else Mercer would have been stomped into the ground. Even if he does stomp above average adventures nobody scales to Aela or the companions so he would just be curpstomping 9-Bs (who aren't even that high into 9-B).

Mercer with the Skeleton Key only has 9-A feats and other Nightengales panic when he knocked over a building (he didn't destroy it he only knocked it over which would be 9-A at best). Those same Nightengales couldn't get through a door even with Nocturnal's backing because a few rocks fell in the way. I'm not even sure Mercer should be 9-B honestly. The only reason I have him at 9-B is because the average Rat and Skeever have 9-B feats and they are fodder. The Nightengales that help you fight Mercer (they never actually manage to hit him as one of them gets mind controlled immediately so they fight each other) both have anti feats for 9-B and durability negation is common in the Elder Scrolls. The very first thing we see Karliah try to do is poison Mercer to death.

Mercer is 9-B or 9-A at best (Possibly higher if we're generous with the chain reaction after his death).

Most mortals on Nirn aren't superhuman, but they do exist. It's important to keep that in mind.

Zamarak and Lyris Titanbor are solid examples. And they perfectly showcase just how physically strong one can be without magic.

Higher-end stuff would involve shenanigans with the avatars of the Celestials, but that's not relevant to mortal strength nor the thread.

Back