• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Materialism applied to a fictional verse: how does it fair?

So I've been noticing how a lot of hax-savvy or powerful verses revolve around incorporating platonic philosophy or ideas such as "Theory of Forms" and Jungian archetypes, and that's fine and all but I've been curious for a while how things would fair in a (hypothetical) verse dictated by materialism .

After all, materialism is in opposition to idealism as the former insists that matter takes primacy over thought. In other words, the world is not governed by concepts but the concepts are a reflection of reality or how we perceive reality to be.

It makes me wonder how things like conceptual manipulation would fair when applied to a verse that is strictly speaking materialist and is not bound by "concepts" or "souls" or other immaterial ideas.

At the same time, I'm wondering if a materialist verse could hypothetically even reach 1-A since isn't 1-A strictly speaking immaterial or metaphyiscal in every sense of the word, or are their ways for a materialist or anti-idealist verse (science fiction is fair game I suppose?) to be incredibly overpowered despite not relying on things like conceptual manipulation or reality warping in the conventional platonic or idealist sense?

Just throwing it out there, and I am curious what all of your thoughts are on such a hypothetical materialist verse in the context of verse power rating and OP hax shenanigans.

> Materialism has been stated by word of god to be correct in Stellaris
> Stellaris has soul manipulation and conceptual manipulation

That seems really contradictory, though.

But that's the only powerful verse that comes to your mind that has a materialist setting or undertone (matter > spirit or spirit doesn't triumph over matter)?

Back