• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Marvel Comics characters speed inconsistencies

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Hello.

I would greatly appreciate help with evaluating the speed levels of various Marvel powerhouse characters, and then trying to find solutions to the most extreme inconsistencies.

For example, the Earth Eternals do not match each other in this area, and Hercules is listed as far slower than Thor, due to his inability to fly at Massively FTL+ speeds, and lack of personal feats at anywhere near this scale.

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Eternals

Ant, you really overestimate how much knowledge I have on Marvel and DC, especially Marvel. I'm afraid that I really can't help here.

I haven’t read the Eternals, so unfortunately I can’t be much help there. As for Hercules, why don’t we split his speed like this:

Massively Hypersonic, Massively FTL+ combat speed and reactions (Consistently able to fight and keep up with Thor)

Iirc, wasn’t there also a thread to split up the speed tiers of characters like Thor and Hulk like that too?

Was not there a speed revision like a year and a half ago tagging the current speed ratings for Thor and like who rely on external objects like Mjolnir to travel really fast?

Yes, but some serious inconsistencies remain afterwards. Help to solve them would be very appreciated.

Well, we can start with that, but there are plenty of characters such as Hulk and Hercules, who have no personal speed feats of anywhere near a MFTL+ scale, but can still fight fine with Thor and The Sentry.

“X movement speed (insert feats here), with Massively FTL+ reactions” seems like the best way to rate Hercules imo

Hulk does have some feats of running so fast he seems like a blur. So I think we can use that as a basis for his lowest speed and then MFTL+ combat. Moving like a blur is quite consistent with Hulk

As for Eternals, I can do Ikaris. I can reread his stuff to find some travel speed feats after I finish with my Hyperion stuff this week.

Depends on the type of missile and he if dodged them way after or just after launch, since it takes time for propulsion to accelerate them at their max speed.

@Confluctor Moving like a blur should not be used as a justification for any speed, as that is related to perception than to how quick someone is.
Of course but its a start when you can appear as a blur to F4. Also I think he once ran on water (tho I might be misremembering that instance)

Anyway, it looks extra weird to have the Eternals be so uneven in speed. Makkari obviously doesn't count, as he is as swift as The Runner.

Okay. So what should we do about the Eternals?

Matt makes sense, though then again I think alot of characters that have interstellar flight don't really show it in a way that it scales to their reactions.

I remember Rogue's flight speed got calced at one point, but scaling it to her reactions felt especially wonky considering it was "go to point A, and return"

Thank you for helping out.

So, I had a bit of time and went through every Ikaris appearance I could find on the Marvel wiki and gathered some of his travel speed feats. It's very hard to scale from other characters because a lot of the time when he flew alongside them, they were not very serious and pretty casual. He does have some feats of going from ground to Earth's orbit in a very short period of time.

His fastest one has to be flying alongside cosmic heroes during the Starblast event, but it's hard to say if they were going at full speed or slowing down for him. But his combat speed is good where it is atm.

Anyway, I have compiled every feat I could find for him. Hope its useful.

Sorry. I usually remember to remove you from the list for Marvel threads.

Well, the Eternals all tend to fight both each other and other powerful superhumans, but Marvel is working in the standard Marvel manner in that area.

Makkari, obviously.

If memory serves right, Ikaris and Sersi has their own MFTL+ combat speed scaling from some avengers and Thanos/Eros. And then druig and other Eternals scale from these two.

As for travel speed... Except for Makkari none has shown anything close to it. When compiling feats of Ikaris, the fastest I found was outrunning an energy explosion, leaving to earth's orbit in a very short time, and flying alongside Hyperion, Binary, and Monica (Starblast event)

Back