• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Manga, it's anime adaption and us: Spy x Family edition

First_Witch

VS Battles
Retired
So, Spy x Family. Anyone who watches anime regulary knows that it is currently the hottest show of the season which dosn't suprise me as long time manga reader. I want to talk about it for a bit, because the adaption brought some interessting new information that do not appear in the manga, the de facto main canon of the series. Now I know that we are supposed to keep mediums seperate, especially if they clearly diverge from their main source. But in this particular case, I think a discussion is needed. The anime adaption has been, for the most parts, faithful to the manga. Where they diverge though, is quite interessting. Before we talk about those changes, that are, in my opinion at least canon, lets get the absolute basics out of the way. Our current Spy x Family profiles are all MANGA ONLY. We currently have profiles for Yor Forger and Loid Forger. With that out the way, lets talk about supplemantary information from the anime adaption:

The first one is Yor's room. In the manga, we know she has one. Only in the anime do we actually get to see it. Pretty irrelevant for us specificly, but I mentioned it, because it illustrates my point pretty good: Information that is anime only, but can be considered canon until disproven.

The second one is a bit more interessting, Yor's poison potency. In the manga, we only know that Yor is carrying around poisons on her for assassinations. We never learn how strong they are though. In the anime she outrights states that her posions can kill an elephant. It may be anime only, but the information does line up and is not contradicted within the manga.

The last one and probably the actual controversal one, is an entire action scene that did not happen in the manga. In the current episode (Episode 5), Loid had to basicaly perform a elaborate Stage play, which ended with him having a small fight with Yor. The anime added a whole parkour and shootout scene between the start of said play and Loids "fight" with Yor. Same deal above, it does NOT appear in the manga, but it supplement skill feats for Loid. I would argue that the anime only scene could have happend in the manga and was just not shown. Considering the scene as canon would not directly contradict anything within the manga, other than being squeezed into a chapter where it just didn't happen.

So... Thoughts?

I guess it could work. It not like they actually deviate from the main source. It just add more information that we currently already have or add more supporting idea for the feat. Though, I am not sure how wiki actually take consider this stuff.

There's really no need to use more than the manga to begin with. It's not like the perspective were ****** up or whatev.

I've been reading the manga since it was released, so maybe I should list myself as support of the verse. That aside, I don't see a problem with using feats from the anime.

Anime is adaptation material, it cound be considered as extended material, so it is fine using it, if it further explain on what happen in manga, i se no reason to not use it, unless there is contradiction we need to solve

Barring statements like with Fairy Tail, anime are only considered supporting canon afaik.

Back