• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Making a VBW multilanguage dictionary

Ogurtsow

He/Him
VS Battles
Retired
Greetings. The point of this thread is to compile a VBW multilanguage dictionary. You can see it on my user space page. It mainly includes various terms specific to one or another side of the VS Battles Wiki.

If you speak a language not presented in the dictionary yet, feel free to edit the page and add your translated terms into the tables. But if you're afraid of messing up the tables due to the lack of wiki editing skills or any other reason, then don't worry: you can write down your proposed translations right in this thread and I'll add them into the page on my own.

Maybe you have any suggestions on what terms should we include into the dictionary? Share your ideas in this thread as well.

I frankly do not see the point, if you need that thing to begin with I feel like your grasp of English is not good enough to use the site to begin with

Okay, let me explain further: it's mainly for language nerds who are curious how would most frequently used VBW terms look like in various different languages. If you go to one or another language course (e.g. Memrise and Duolingo), I doubt you'll find the word verse in the context of fictional universe. Same goes for specific collocations such as attack potency. That means mainly VBW members can translate the terms more accurate while outsiders may misinterpret some things.

I think this looks like a good idea on paper at least; but I'm not sure if we have enough people in every language in currently still used. Plus I do not speak any language other than English very fluently so I do not think I'll be able to help.

I think this looks like a good idea on paper at least; but I'm not sure if we have enough people in every language in currently still used. Plus I do not speak any language other than English very fluently so I do not think I'll be able to help.
As of now, we currently about 50 languages with at least one member listed on our Multilingual Members List. I think we have a possibility to reach 1/3 of those languages, or about 15–20. The other thing is to make speakers of those languages interested in this little project.

Thank you. Are you a multilingual person as well? If so, would you like to contribute to the dictionary?
Oh yeah, spanish/español. Just a heads up that spanish is one of the most complex out there as we have 20 words for the same thing so you will probably see me repeat some if I don't find anything more appropriate.

Frequent terms: character = personaje, verse = verso, universe = universo, hyperverse = Hiperverso, outerverse = extraverso (made up word so this fits the best?)

Part 1: anime=anime, cartoons = dibujos animados / caricaturas, comic books = historietas / cómics, games = videojuegos, light novels = novelas ligeras, manga = manga, movies = películas

Part 2: board games = juegos de mesa, books = libros, music = música, TV series = series de TV, visual novels = novelas visuales

Character profile sections:

Part 1: Attack Potency = Potencia de Ataque, speed = velocidad, lifting strength = poder de levantamiento, striking strength = poder de golpe, durability = durabilidad

Part 2: tier = rango, stamina = resistencia física, range = alcance, standard equipment = equipamiento estándar, intelligence = inteligencia.

I like the idea myself.

I think the most common languages would take priority, like English, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Arabic, Hindi, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Indonesian, Russian and the like.

Not sure about my own country's language since nobody bothers making competent verses in fiction in my place and the comic book industry in my place isn't exactly that great either.

Oh yeah, spanish/español. Just a heads up that spanish is one of the most complex out there as we have 20 words for the same thing so you will probably see me repeat some if I don't find anything more appropriate.
Thank you, I've added your translations:

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/U...nary?type=revision&diff=7445125&oldid=7444251

Although you skipped the Spanish word for mutliverse, so there's a gap in the table. Could you add the translation by yourself? My page is open for everyone to edit.

Not sure about my own country's language since nobody bothers making competent verses in fiction in my place and the comic book industry in my place isn't exactly that great either.
All languages matter, Klol. This project isn't just for native speakers but also for those who are interested to see how would specific VBW terms look like in various different languages. We may even have members who are interested in learning Bengali, or just language nerds such as myself.

All languages matter, Klol. This project isn't just for native speakers but also for those who are interested to see how would specific VBW terms look like in various different languages. We may even have members who are interested in learning Bengali, or just language nerds such as myself.
Alright, if you say so.

Granted, I never had good typing skills in Bangla but I'll see what I can cook up.

You and me both buddy...
Unless we start making B/Tollywood characters profiles which make JJBA look tame in comparision
Yeah no, Hindi has a considerably larger speaker-base and I'm certain we could get wack shit out of Bollywood movies ripe for tiering. We already have Roll. No. 21 as a verse on our page.

Yeah no, Hindi has a considerably larger speaker-base and I'm certain we could get wack shit out of Bollywood movies ripe for tiering. We already have Roll. No. 21 as a verse on our page.
No shit...
Well then count me in.. I'll do this table later at night.
i amma tier Baahubali now

Well, here's my attempt, I suck at typing in Bangla (So had to copypaste from dictionaries and such) and lot of the words are just literal pronounciations of English words in Bangla letters, we don't have exact words for all of them, some sound ridiculous in my own language, if any other Bangla users of the site exist, feel free to correct me.

character- চরিত্র

verse- শ্লোক

universe- বিশ্বব্রহ্মাণ্ড

multiverse- মাল্টিভার্স

hyperverse- হাইপারভার্স

outerverse- বহিরাগত

Anime- আনিমে, এনিমে

cartoon- কার্টুন

comic books- কমিক বই

games- গেম

light novels- হালকা উপন্যাস

Mangas- মাঙ্গা

Movies- চলচ্চিত্র

Board games- বোর্ড গেম

Books- বই

Music- সঙ্গীত

TV Series- টিভি সিরিজ

Visual Novels- চাক্ষুষ উপন্যাস

Attack Potency- আক্রমণ ক্ষমতা

Speed- গতি

Lifting Strength- উত্তোলন শক্তি

Striking Strength- স্ট্রাইকিং স্ট্রেন্থ

Durability- স্থায়িত্ব

Tier- স্তর

Stamina- মনোবল

Range- পরিসীমা

Standard Equipment- সাধারন সামগ্রী

Intelligence- বুদ্ধিমত্তা

Well, here's my attempt, I suck at typing in Bangla (So had to copypaste from dictionaries and such) and lot of the words are just literal pronounciations of English words in Bangla letters, we don't have exact words for all of them, some sound ridiculous in my own language, if any other Bangla users of the site exist, feel free to correct me.
Thank you, I've added your Bangla translations.

As a native Spanish speaker, translating Strength (this one is used multiple times) as "poder" (power) isn't too accurate when there's a better term for a more appropiate translation over it, "fuerza" (aka, strength), so I'd suggest to replace the usage of that word in the Spanish section with that one.

Translating "tier" in Spanish to "rango" also sounds dumb, in fact it'd fit better as a translation for "range" instead, and so "range" should be translated instead as "rango", while also changing "tier" to... "tier" (yeah, exact same meaning/text in Spanish).

I think translating stamina as "resistencia física" (physical resistance) is a terrible translation as it's very easy to misunderstand compared to the intended meaning, but I'm not sure what to translate it as instead.

Translating "outerverse" as "extraverso" also sounds like a poor translation, "fueraverso" would be better as it combines the translated words of the components in "outerverse" (outer - fuera, verse - verso).

I'm also fairly sure "caricaturas" (cartoons) is used more coloquially than "dibujos animados" (animated drawings) in Spanish.

Last edited:
Translating "outerverse" as "extraverso" also sounds like a poor translation, "fueraverso" would be better as it combines the translated words of the components in "outerverse" (out - fuera, verse - verso)
I think this is wrong since "out" means "fuera" while "outer" means "exterior/externo". So I think "Extraverso" is more correct than "Fueraverso", plus it sounds far better.
And Tier can be translated as "Nivel", both options (Tier or Nivel) seem fine to me
Stamina can be translated as "Estamina" or "Aguante", "Resistencia" is also correct but it is true that it can be misunderstood

Last edited:
Okay for the first part.
For the Tier part, "Nivel" means more like "level" than "tier", although I'd rather stick with "tier" as it has less unecessary implications and thus being a more accurate translation.
"Estamina" may be better IMO.

Yeah, I used poder because it sounds better and more neutral. Overall it's irrelevant since they are synonymous.

Who thought I would be giving spanish classes.

I decided to go with "Rango" because it's most common use is to denote x or y position inside a predefined hierarchical set. It rarely if ever gets used as a word for range. Alcance is a word that defines better the concept. Puedes ir a checar el diccionario de la Real lengua española si tienes dudas.

Tier no existe en español, es un barbarismo al igual que lo son mouse o software. Rango, como mencione antes, encapsula este término como anillo al dedo.

Stamina as you know means the ability to sustain prolonged physical or mental effort.

Most of the time it is used to only represent the physical part, hence my intent to use resistencia física.

Lo de fuera verso es lo más tonto que eh leído sin ofender claro. El problema es que estas traduciendo literalmente y así no funciona esto, no puedes realizar traducciones literales porque suenan así de tontas.

Escogí extra porque denota una cualidad que va más allá de lo normal y en nuestro caso conlleva el mensaje de que va más allá de hiperverso.

As you know Spanish is a very, very big language, mw trying to use more general terms is to keep it friendly to everyone. Caricaturas is colloquially used in several countries but not all of them, some might call it differently but dibujos animados is known everywhere as the same thing.

In short, keep it simple and friendly for anyone that knows Spanish, after all the Spanish from Spain is different from the one in Mexico or Chile.

I am going to write in Spanish because it doesn't make sense to continue in English
Yeah, I used poder because it sounds better and more neutral. Overall it's irrelevant since they are synonymous.
Yo creo que es mejor usar Fuerza que Poder (Power) ya que es la traducción literal de Strength. Y Poder se puede malinterpretar con las habilidades (Powers and Abilities). Además, por lo menos yo, relaciono más la fuerza con temas físicos.
decided to go with "Rango" because it's most common use is to denote x or y position inside a predefined hierarchical set. It rarely if ever gets used as a word for range. Alcance is a word that defines better the concept. Puedes ir a checar el diccionario de la Real lengua española si tienes dudas.
Tier no existe en español, es un barbarismo al igual que lo son mouse o software. Rango, como mencione antes, encapsula este término como anillo al dedo.
Cualquiera de las tres opciones (Tier, Rango o Nivel) me parecen correctas. El único problema es que Rango puede ser malinterpretado con Range (Alcance).
Stamina as you know means the ability to sustain prolonged physical or mental effort.
Most of the time it is used to only represent the physical part, hence my intent to use resistencia física.
Igual que antes, las tres opciones (Resistencia, Estamina o Aguante) son correctas. Pero Resistencia (Resistance) también tiene el problema de que puede ser malinterpretado con las habilidades (Resistance to...).

Con todo lo demás estoy de acuerdo.

Can't really help much except for some Arabic translation, but if it helps, here are some translations.

Universe = الكون

Multiverse = كون متعدد

Games = ألعاب

Character = شخصية or شخصية خيالية (The latter means fictional character)

Cartoon = pretty much everyone in my country calls it cartoon as well, but you can also say: رسوم متحركة

Movies = أفلام

Books = كتب

Music = اغاني or موسيقى (Usually the latter)

Range = مدى or نطاق (We usually use the former, barely heard anyone use the latter)

Speed = سرعة

TV Series/Show = مسلسلات التلفزيونية

Those are at the top of my head, I would hopefully help later when I have time.

Last edited:
That looks like something interesting to me, so I'll try to give a contribution for the German language.

Frequent Terms:
  • character = Charakter
  • verse = Versum (An assumption based on Universum, Multiversum and Hyperversum)
  • universe = Universum
  • multiverse = Multiversum
  • hyperverse = Hyperversum
  • outerverse = Outerversum (An assumption based on Universum, Multiversum and Hyperversum)
Mediums Part 1:
  • anime = Anime
  • cartoons = Cartoons
  • comic books = Comicbücher
  • games = Spiele
  • light novels = Light Novels (It could technically be translated literally as leichte Romane but hardly anyone calls them that)
  • manga = Manga
  • movies = Filme
Mediums Part 2:
  • board games = Brettspiele
  • books = Bücher
  • music = Musik
  • TV series = Fernsehserie/TV-Serie (both terms can be used for this)
  • visual novels = Visual Novels (It could technically be translated literally as visuelle Romane or Bildromane but hardly anyone calls them that)
Character Profile Sections Part 1:
  • attack potency = Angriffspotenz (There were multiple valid translations for potency, so I went with the word that resembled it the most)
  • speed = Geschwindigkeit
  • lifting strength = Hebekraft
  • striking strength = Schlagkraft
  • durability = Haltbarkeit/Beständigkeit (both terms can be used for this)
Character Profile Section Part 2:
  • tier = Stufe/Rang (both of these terms can also be understood as level and rank respectively)
  • stamina = Ausdauer
  • range = Reichweite
  • standard equipment = Standardausrüstung
  • intelligence = Intelligenz

I’ll help with Tagalog/Filipino. But the thing with my language is that really technical terms like “hyperverse” are usually just borrowed wholesale from English or converted into abakada (Filipino spelling). Another note is that “mga” is a word in Tagalog that’s used for pluralizing words. For example: “kaibigan” is singular while “mga kaibigan” is plural.

FREQUENT TERMS
Character = Tauhan (or Karakter)
Verse = Berso (Another word for verse is “taludtod” but that’s for the verses of a song or poem)
Universe = Uniberso (A common translation you’ll find online is “sansinukob” but it’s uncommon and flowery in day to day speech)
Multiverse = Multiberso
Hyperverse = Hayperberso
Outerverse = Awterberso

MEDIUMS
PART 1
Anime = Anime
Cartoons = (Mga) Kartun
Comic Books = (Mga) Komiks
Games = (Mga) Laro
Light Novels = (Mga) Magaan na Nobela
Manga = (Mga) Manga
Movies = (Mga) Pelikula
PART 2
Board Games = (Mga) Larong Board
Books = (Mga) Aklat
TV Series = (Mga) Teleserye (Though there’s a connotation that teleserye = soap opera/daytime drama)
Visual Novels = (Mga) Nobelang Biswal

CHARACTER PROFILE SECTIONS
PART 1
Attack Potency = Lakas ng Lusob (or Lakas ng Atake, since Lusob means something more like charge)
Speed = Kabilisan
Lifting Strength = Lakas-Pambuhat
Striking Strength = Lakas-Panuntok (Though Panuntok means “punch” instead of a general strike since there’s no word for strike in Tagalog)
Durability = Katibayan
PART 2
Tier = Antas
Stamina = Istamina (“Katagalan” is the closest Filipino word but it’s kind of a stretch)
Range = Saklaw
Standard Equipment = Karaniwang Kagamitan
Intelligence = Katalinuhan

I posted these here instead of just editing because some other Filipino-speaking members can come in and give their feedback.

I’ll help with Tagalog/Filipino. But the thing with my language is that really technical terms like “hyperverse” are usually just borrowed wholesale from English or converted into abakada (Filipino spelling). Another note is that “mga” is a word in Tagalog that’s used for pluralizing words. For example: “kaibigan” is singular while “mga kaibigan” is plural.
Thank you, I've added your Filipino translations.

Oh, I just noticed you forgot to translate the word music. Could you translate the word and insert the translation into the table?

I can't help that much since my main language is Portuguese, but here we go

Verse = Verso
Anime = Anime
Games = Jogos
Manga = Mangá
Light Novel = Light Novel (the literal translation is Romance Leve, but literally nobody calls it as that)
Comic = Quadrinho
Universe = Universo
Multiverse = Multiverso
Book = Livro
Movies = Filmes
Attack Potency = Potência de Ataque
Speed = Velocidade
Stamina = Estamina/Estâmina
Durability = Durabilidade
Resistence = Resistência
Lifting Strength = Força de Levantamento
Cartoon = Desenho Animado
Tier = Camada
Range = Alcance
Intelligence = Inteligência
Visual Novel = Visual Novel (the literal translation is Romance Visual, but nobody calls it as that, because brazilians uses a lot of english expressions in their daily lives)

I can't help that much since my main language is Portuguese, but here we go
Thank you, I've added your Portuguese translations.

Although I have to correct you: most medium words are intended to be in plural. Just like the respective Verses by Medium categories. Could you change the singular forms to the plural ones in the page itself?

Thank you, I've added your Portuguese translations.

Although I have to correct you: most medium words are intended to be in plural. Just like the respective Verses by Medium categories. Could you change the singular forms to the plural ones in the page itself?
Alright, I will add it

Back