• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

DontTalkDT

A Fossil at This Point
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Bronze Supporter
Anthony Lockwood, George Cubbins, Lucy Carlyle, Holly Munro and The Skull (trapped in his jar, as usual, and not to be released on purpose) are hired by David to take care of The Crooked Man.
They get 1 day of prep to do research before heading for the site of the haunting. At night obviously.

The verses seem to have similar ghost mechanics, so I thought this might work.
Battle takes place in The Crooked Man-verse, with characters allowed to move around freely.
The crooked man has to kill only one member of the team (besides the skull) to win.

Who takes this?

Very neat match idea. However, I do have one or two queries. First off, typicallu the Crooked Man won't just attack anyone, only specific people that are nearly considering suicide, or at least very depressed and uninterested in living. Is anyone in the team like that? With David in the setting, I think the Crooked Man might just focus completely on him and ignore them completely, which would likely end up with his death, but an easy victory for the team. Ignoring that, how much would their prep get them? In the Crooked Man, David basically needs to follow the path of the game (which sees him entering various abandoned places to gather intel, and he gets attacked by the Crooked Man there), but if they manage to just find out about the location of Duke's corpse, it's a relatively easy matter of entering a small, abandoned house and deal with it in whichever way they want.

The Crooked Man might not be able to threaten them as a group, as one mildly skilled fighter is typically capable of repelling him when armed so I have no doubts that they can wall him out unless they split up (which I assume they might since, horror verse lol), in such a case, I think he might be capable of beating them, even without taking stealth into question, which he does attempt at points. He's durable enough even without his immortality to really require a lot of attacks from these guys, who're weaker than David individually.

Very neat match idea. However, I do have one or two queries. First off, typicallu the Crooked Man won't just attack anyone, only specific people that are nearly considering suicide, or at least very depressed and uninterested in living. Is anyone in the team like that? With David in the setting, I think the Crooked Man might just focus completely on him and ignore them completely, which would likely end up with his death, but an easy victory for the team.
Wouldn't the Crooked Man fight him if they try to protect David and attack the Crooked Man?

Although, to answer the question, Lockwood might qualify to an extent. It's been suggested that his tendency to take great risks to some degree originates from a death wish he developed after his parents died in a car crash and his sister shortly after was killed by a ghost.
Ignoring that, how much would their prep get them? In the Crooked Man, David basically needs to follow the path of the game (which sees him entering various abandoned places to gather intel, and he gets attacked by the Crooked Man there), but if they manage to just find out about the location of Duke's corpse, it's a relatively easy matter of entering a small, abandoned house and deal with it in whichever way they want.
They would get plenty of their equipment for a start, but I assume you mean mostly information wise. Tbh, I don't know the game enough to say. George would usually go through the death records and newspaper archives to dig up anything from the right time period that might be related. Assume David gives them whichever initial information he possesses, they would likely research the legend and whichever places David points them to be relevant. A floorplan of the latter should be something they can get in advance.

From there it depends a lot on how public the issue was.

The Crooked Man might not be able to threaten them as a group, as one mildly skilled fighter is typically capable of repelling him when armed so I have no doubts that they can wall him out unless they split up (which I assume they might since, horror verse lol), in such a case, I think he might be capable of beating them, even without taking stealth into question, which he does attempt at points. He's durable enough even without his immortality to really require a lot of attacks from these guys, who're weaker than David individually.
Whether they split up does vary on how large of an area they have to search and how active the Crooked Man is. They usually split up if they have to keep an eye on many rooms or search a large place. The exception is if the ghosts are very proactively hunting them (or if there are many ghosts). Then they might not do so for their own safety.

It should be noted that Lucy's and, to a lesser extend, George's and Holly's ability to hear ghosts comes in handy for locating him and evading surprise attacks.

Btw. what information is concerned, they can pick up visions of past events once they are at the haunted place. So even if their prep doesn't result in much they should eventually find what they need.

Wouldn't the Crooked Man fight him if they try to protect David and attack the Crooked Man?
If they protect him yes, but I dunno how much sense of self-defense he has, game is generally pretty ambiguous regarding exactly what it is and how much self-agency it has.
Although, to answer the question, Lockwood might qualify to an extent. It's been suggested that his tendency to take great risks to some degree originates from a death wish he developed after his parents died in a car crash and his sister shortly after was killed by a ghost.
Yeah that might work, between the fact that there's more "proximity" and that, the Crooked Man might lock on to him instead.
They would get plenty of their equipment for a start, but I assume you mean mostly information wise. Tbh, I don't know the game enough to say. George would usually go through the death records and newspaper archives to dig up anything from the right time period that might be related. Assume David gives them whichever initial information he possesses, they would likely research the legend and whichever places David points them to be relevant. A floorplan of the latter should be something they can get in advance.
To tell the truth at the beginning of the game David doesn't really know of the Crooked Man or anything, he just got some creepy messages and an address, which leads him to the hotel, which is the first of the three "dungeons" of the game.
From there it depends a lot on how public the issue was.
To my knowledge not particularly, it's not actually top secret or anything but it's a dude with no friends hanging himself in his home, and seemingly not being discovered by the police at all. There's a diary of a doctor driven to suicide by the Crooked Man that you find in the hospital (third area), he's haunted other people before so it's possible that they might find other instances of that?
Whether they split up does vary on how large of an area they have to search and how active the Crooked Man is. They usually split up if they have to keep an eye on many rooms or search a large place. The exception is if the ghosts are very proactively hunting them (or if there are many ghosts). Then they might not do so for their own safety.
Going by the game, he takes a while to show up, in fact David is the one to bump into him at first. The first place of investigation is pretty big (a huge, two floor hotel) and they only get bigger so I think they might.
It should be noted that Lucy's and, to a lesser extend, George's and Holly's ability to hear ghosts comes in handy for locating him and evading surprise attacks.
I'm not sure if he qualifies as a ghost, considering he's material and more like an avatar of sorts coming from the corpse. How does this manifest?
Btw. what information is concerned, they can pick up visions of past events once they are at the haunted place. So even if their prep doesn't result in much they should eventually find what they need.
I mean the information is there anyway, David gathers it with ultimately no special abilities, this might help them get it faster though, or realize that the illusions the Crooked Man sends them (of past people in his life/his past self) are just that. Granted, Lockwood may be the only one to see them anyway, since they only appear to the one he's "locked on" to. Well I say "sends them", dunno if it's a strategic move or just something that happens.

To tell the truth at the beginning of the game David doesn't really know of the Crooked Man or anything, he just got some creepy messages and an address, which leads him to the hotel, which is the first of the three "dungeons" of the game.
Is the hotel related to the crooked man in any way?

To my knowledge not particularly, it's not actually top secret or anything but it's a dude with no friends hanging himself in his home, and seemingly not being discovered by the police at all. There's a diary of a doctor driven to suicide by the Crooked Man that you find in the hospital (third area), he's haunted other people before so it's possible that they might find other instances of that?
Yeah, if those were public enough to appear in some local newspaper they might stumble upon it in their research.

Going by the game, he takes a while to show up, in fact David is the one to bump into him at first. The first place of investigation is pretty big (a huge, two floor hotel) and they only get bigger so I think they might.

I'm not sure if he qualifies as a ghost, considering he's material and more like an avatar of sorts coming from the corpse. How does this manifest?
Ghosts in Lockwood & Co are more or less just avatars, too. The actual being is technically in the afterlife, with the source, and object of importance to the person, acting as a kind of portal that allows them to manifest their spectral form. I think it's similar enough to count him as a ghost.

Also, I forgot to mention it, but the Skull that Lucy carries has some supernatural senses. He can seemingly see/sense things through walls and stuff, so he might help... if he feels like it. He usually needs some convincing before he becomes useful.

I mean the information is there anyway, David gathers it with ultimately no special abilities, this might help them get it faster though, or realize that the illusions the Crooked Man sends them (of past people in his life/his past self) are just that. Granted, Lockwood may be the only one to see them anyway, since they only appear to the one he's "locked on" to. Well I say "sends them", dunno if it's a strategic move or just something that happens.
Since Lucy can get illusions by touching objects of relevance, whether the ghost in question wants to show it or not, I think she too could potentially peak at this illusions. So that's two at least.

Is the hotel related to the crooked man in any way?
As I recall he used to work there on something?
Yeah, if those were public enough to appear in some local newspaper they might stumble upon it in their research.
Don't quite know if they are.
Ghosts in Lockwood & Co are more or less just avatars, too. The actual being is technically in the afterlife, with the source, and object of importance to the person, acting as a kind of portal that allows them to manifest their spectral form. I think it's similar enough to count him as a ghost.
Meh, they do act similar that doesn't necessarily qualify him as a ghost when he's fully corporeal and more akin to a ghoul of sorts.
Also, I forgot to mention it, but the Skull that Lucy carries has some supernatural senses. He can seemingly see/sense things through walls and stuff, so he might help... if he feels like it. He usually needs some convincing before he becomes useful.
Kinda difficult to tell how this would affect things.
Since Lucy can get illusions by touching objects of relevance, whether the ghost in question wants to show it or not, I think she too could potentially peak at this illusions. So that's two at least.
Yeah, that's an advantage.

Back