• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Live Action One Piece Discussion Thread

9078573-img_0018.jpeg

I think that if we get future seasons, each season will cover a big saga. So this season would cover the East Blue Saga, while next season will likely cover the Alabasta Saga. How many sagas, not arcs, are there?

I think that if we get future seasons, each season will cover a big saga. So this season would cover the East Blue Saga, while next season will likely cover the Alabasta Saga. How many sagas, not arcs, are there?
East blue saga is not over yet, so I think next season will gonna be from loguetown to alabasta. Baroque Works things.

I still REALLY hope that this show will be a great hit, and the audience scores and reviews are great so far, but top critics The Guardian, The New York Times, CNN, Variety, and Rolling Stone are already doing their best to sink this ship, presumably because the show is not considered sufficiently ultra-progressive and is actually mostly faithful to the source material rather than twisting it almost beyond recognition.

The critics who are more balanced and less "my personal ideological agenda must be 100% accurately and slavishly inserted into absolutely everything no matter the consequences"-driven seem to really like the show though.

However, I am still worried, given the sheer production costs for this series, and that it has not been shown to trend among Netflix viewers yet in Sweden where I live. Then again, Swedes are unfortunately largely stuck in a phase of isolation, weltschmertz, depression, resignation, and darkness, so they mostly produce and "enjoy" morbid, boring, and depressing crime novels and dramas.

However, Forbes at least seems to have a positive outlook for the prospects of this series, so I am really hoping for the best.

1000048680.png
1000048679.png
1000048678.png

Last edited:
Anyway, what do the Twitter/X posts above say?

I still REALLY hope that this show will be a great hit, and the audience scores and reviews are great so far, but top critics The Guardian, The New York Times, CNN, Variety, and Rolling Stone are already doing their best to sink this ship, presumably because the show is not considered sufficiently ultra-progressive and is actually mostly faithful to the source material rather than twisting it almost beyond recognition.

The critics who are more balanced and less "my personal ideological agenda must be 100% accurately and slavishly inserted into absolutely everything no matter the consequences"-driven seem to really like the show though.

However, I am still worried, given the sheer production costs for this series, and that it has not been shown to trend among Netflix viewers yet in Sweden where I live. Then again, Swedes are unfortunately largely stuck in a phase of isolation, weltschmertz, depression, resignation, and darkness, so they mostly produce and "enjoy" morbid, boring, and depressing crime novels and dramas.

However, Forbes at least seems to have a positive outlook for the prospects of this series, so I am really hoping for the best.

View attachment 505
View attachment 506
View attachment 507
Probably should have dropped each ep once a week to keep up hype like maws

Anyway, what do the Twitter/X posts above say?
Some like it, sone don’t

I think that dropping the entire season at once was probably wiser in terms of hype, as the series start with a kind of small scale, rather than being instantly epic.

Yes, that is correct.

but top critics The Guardian, The New York Times, CNN, Variety, and Rolling Stone are already doing their best to sink this ship
Normally I don't participate in so-called woke-bashing but even IGN has joined the ship (no pun intended) and given a low score (6/10) to the series ... I was very disappointed to see that. For reference, they gave the live-action Cowboy Bebop a higher rating (7/10)

Normally I don't participate in so-called woke-bashing but even IGN has joined the ship (no pun intended) and given a low score (6/10) to the series ... I was very disappointed to see that. For reference, they gave the live-action Cowboy Bebop a higher rating (7/10)
I am moderately progressive (and economically far left), but I find people who get fanatically extreme, zealous, unreasonable, and authoritarian about it very annoying, especially if they insist on systematically completely distorting most highly beloved franchises just for the sake of personal ideological propaganda.

And the irony is that One Piece is a progressive anti-establishment comic book. It just kids around and doesn't take itself too seriously about it.

Hence, for example, despite that Ivankov is a non-binary genuine hero/heroine and played and inspired by a transgendered friend of Eiichiro Oda and his wife, the character ended up funny-looking for the sake of comedy, and despite that Oda has nothing whatsoever against overweight women, Alvida was the series' first villain, but some reviewers seem extremely oversensitive and completely lack a sense of fun and humour.

Last edited:
I have now finished Syrup Village, and this show took a nosedive in quality IMO. I'm praying that its just because the arc is kinda ass anyway, and that it isn't a trend for the rest of the show.

Hmm. I am sorry to hear that. Perhaps some of the production had to be rushed because of the Hollywood writers' strike?

I haven’t finished shrub yet but it’s kinda bothering me how underpowered they are. Like I get they can’t make them as strong as in the anime/manga but getting restrained by sone ropes or getting knocked out by a glass bottle is kinda ridiculous tbh

Personally think they handled Syrup village really dang well, especially Kaya. I think they handled kuro well for what he was and his henchmen were surprisingly fun. luffy vs kuro was one of the weaker fights sure but i never liked the fight much in the manga/anime anyway. Plus they moved zoros flashback within syrup village which obviously kinda boosts syrup village as a whole

Personally think they handled Syrup village really dang well, especially Kaya. I think they handled kuro well for what he was and his henchmen were surprisingly fun. luffy vs kuro was one of the weaker fights sure but i never liked the fight much in the manga/anime anyway. Plus they moved zoros flashback within syrup village which obviously kinda boosts syrup village as a whole
I thought it was decent but it felt like usopp wasn’t as prevalent in the arc tbh.

Heavily agree.

Back