• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Lightning feats CRT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. DontTalk informed me where the constants/averages come from here:

DontTalkDT said:
The voltage used is the voltage of real lightning.
The A/m^2 value is the result of taking the amperage of real lightning and dividing through the cross sectional area of real lightning.
Although this doesn't confirm any relationship between the cross-sectional area of a lightning bolt and its amperage, as I pointed out above.

Lightning Math is very very dead and verse specific CRTs to get it out should be made

Out of curiosity, what about for a feat where the outline of the lightning shown is actually what the characters grab and make contact with? Would that be valid for the actual size of the bolt?

Muchacho mrm said:
What about non-cloud to ground lightning?
I would say the constants we have definitely don't hold for anything non-cloud to ground lightning.

And if we are already talking about that: Do we have reached an agreement on whether we want to assume the constants for Cloud to ground lightning yet? Cause if we say we don't I got to make a CRT thread for Misaka at some point... (and if we do I should document it on the lightning calcs page)

I don't think Misaka even has proof that the lightning is actually as wide as it appears

As Dargoo already pointed out, the standard 1 inch can leave craters much bigger, so we dunno if it's High 7-A width

And, considering everything laid out, I honestly think it might not be valid anymore

I did already make a CRT about that, but ultimately it didn't go anywhere because I never got around to calcing the cloud split it caused

Here, for reference

Eh, before we get to that argument we would first have to agree on whether we are in principle using the method at all.

Dargoo has a point. We are basically using 1 data point to extrapolate to a general rule.

I'd be more comfortable benching every calc using this method and changing ratings to what they were before the calcs were done, seeing as there's not only issues with the pixelscaling, but the math that's used itself.

Once we have a proper answer on if or how we can calculate these feats, we can make another thread requesting help in re-doing all the calcs.

I mean, Misaka's calc is there since creation of the key, so we would have to revise that.

But in principle I agree, that we should probably not apply calcs using this method until we agree whether we are using this method.

I mean, is there much else to discuss regarding the method?

I've asked where the relationship between the constants and variables used in the calcs come from, and the people who were responsible for doing much of the calcs couldn't give me a straight answer.

From what I gather, we've already demonstrated that the calcs are unfounded in the math and in the pixelscaling.

Beats me, but I'm unsurprised the feats haven't been removed despite it being largely agreed that the calculation methodology is unfounded.

Look at the profiles again, but closer this time

This is still linked on Cole's profile, if that's what you were talking about.

Cole doesn't scale to that. He scales to an explosion.

Lightning revisions don't affect it so DMUA meant the bomb

As you said it doesn't impact anything but it gives me conniptions

I kind of don't care if it "doesn't affect the ratings" when the calc's valididy is out the window. So if it's on the profile it should go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back