• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Light Speed Qualifications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solar flare is the speed of soundšŸ¤„
due-to-personal-reasons-you-willbe-passing-away-memes-8603092390155df7-57f947005b0af69a.png

If thereā€™s no disagreements, this thread can be closed, or it can be let to simmer for a few days lol up to staff. I say this so early cuz thereā€™s unanimous agreement.

This seems perfectly fair to me. In general, the standards for light-speed qualifications have always been complicated; it's kind of difficult to suggest that something is simultaneously made out of light, and yet doesn't also move at light-speed, even if this sometimes appears to be the case (though you could argue that it moves at slightly below light-speed due to not being in a vacuum, but I digress). So, we need to be fairly specific on what our standards are if we're applying it to speed ratings.

Going back to the point of this thread, this seems like a perfectly acceptable way to determine that something is indeed made out of light.

I've contacted a few more staff members, including DDM, Andy, Elizha and AKM, they're pretty much Sysops, if we get their opinions as well we can hopefully finish this.

How would we word this new applicable condition in the light/laser dodging feats page? Any suggestions?

Also someone contact Ant. He'll have some ideas.

Iā€™ll draft up the ā€œimplementationā€ if someone can contact a staff who can unlock it.

I mean, that's ok I guess, although it weighs much less in favour of it than a scientific description such as "consists of photons".

One also needs to consider that the statement needs to be reliable, which in case of such a description is more of an issue. A random person might describe any glowing energy beam as a "beam of light", as that's their subjective impression of it and what's the closest thing they know to what they have witnessed, not because they know what it actually is and are trying to give an accurate description.

It is stated to be composed/consisting of photons or light itself, again by a reliable source. Referring to a laser as of light indicates said laser is composed of light, unless it is contradicted by other information.

Sumn like this?
Wait, we already have this on the page.

Man we made this CRT for no reason at all

• Tempest said, "An attack being called a light beam, light ray, laser beam, beam of light, ray of light, or anything similar to those is not enough justification to fit the fourth requirement.

Well if this doesn't sound like something @Kaantantr would say.

Neutral party as usual with that kind of thing. Following to see where this goes.

I mean, that's ok I guess, although it weighs much less in favour of it than a scientific description such as "consists of photons".

One also needs to consider that the statement needs to be reliable, which in case of such a description is more of an issue. A random person might describe any glowing energy beam as a "beam of light", as that's their subjective impression of it and what's the closest thing they know to what they have witnessed, not because they know what it actually is and are trying to give an accurate description.
I mean, don't we already have the rule that it must be from reliable sources, twice in a row? Official guidebooks are one form, or it could also be from people who are scientists or have a thorough understanding of laser-based tech.

Also I think the reflect part should also allow other materials to qualify like shiny knife/sword blades or water puddles and so on (Where light shines on blades and makes a blinding light or a laser beam reflection is shown on a water puddle like a reflection in a mirror, or the annoying light glare on your old-ass plastic shell monitor), making mirrors the only way to qualify light beams as light speed seems to be restrictive in terms of the wording itself, IMHO

I mean, don't we already have the rule that it must be from reliable sources, twice in a row? Official guidebooks are one form, or it could also be from people who are scientists or have a thorough understanding of laser-based tech.

Also I think the reflect part should also allow other materials to qualify like shiny knife/sword blades or water puddles and so on (Where light shines on blades and makes a blinding light or a laser beam reflection is shown on a water puddle like a reflection in a mirror, or the annoying light glare on your old-ass plastic shell monitor), making mirrors the only way to qualify light beams as light speed seems to be restrictive in terms of the wording itself, IMHO
I mean, reliable source aside it also must come in a reliable context. I was mostly pointing out that it isn't an ultra-strong criteria and that reliability must be considered, to make sure everyone kept it in mind for the CRT's that are no doubt supposed to follow this.

Mirrors aren't mentioned as the only things that reflect, though? It literally says "reflects off a material that it can be expected to", with non-magical mirrors merely being one example.

The entire purpose of this thread was to reverse KT saying ā€œbeam/ray of light =/= made of lightā€.

By the current wording of the fourth requirement, nothing inherently needs to change. Just that we recognize ā€œof lightā€ statements by reliable sources to mean ā€œmade of lightā€ as that is what ā€œof lightā€ by definition means.

I think we are fine to just leave the wording as is, maybe link this thread as a footnote as a relevant discussion on the fourth requirement.

So, maybe this?

"Regarding the fourth requirement, it should be noted that lines saying "a beam made of light" and/or "a beam made of pure light/purely made of light" are both equally valid qualifiers of said rule".

Sorry if I butchered the wording, but additional help regarding this is welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back