• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
I am currently on another thread debating whether Sting Eucliffe for Fairy Tail does have Light magic, and whether his light is natural or not. I will not mention the in manga details of debate, so I can leave it to that thread. However, to counter my argument people are giving me reasons as to why Stings light isnt "legit" light. For example, some things that are commonly brought up are:

1.- Stings light has destructive power, this doesnt follow conventional light.

2.- Stings light bends, doesnt follow conventional light.

3.- Stings light is visible.

While these are all fair points, these are points that can be made against comic book characters such as Spectrum and Green Lantern who have bended light (Spectrum does it with illusions, Green Lantern with constructs) and btw their light is also visible. This light is also visible when it comes to anime like One Piece and Lille Barro, both of which are mentioned in the light manipulation wiki.

If it is the case that Stings light isnt Light because of the above reasons (disregarding the in manga contradictions that might exist however this discussion is not above that) I am unable to understand what legit light is, and would like further classification because his light behaves much like comics and other animes light manipulators.

Again, this is only for me to understand more about what would count as legit light, considering the contradictions I am seeing. This has nothing to do with Sting, rather I used him as an example

WeeklyBattles said:
Laser/Light Beam Dodging FeatsIt has to meet the qualifications on this page to be considered true light
I was told this, however light from comic characters such as Spectrum, Green Lantern, Magik, Dr Light (to name a few) dont follow those criterium either and fall under light manipulation in their wikis?

And furthermore, I thought this was only for lasers and light beams that behave such as lasers/rays, am I incorrect?

How other wikis treat their characters doesnt mean we do the same. If you look at the pages of the characters you listed, none of them have light manipulaton as a listed ability.

No those are the standards here for anything to be treated as true light. If they dont meet those standards then they can still be CALLED light, but they will not be treated as true light.

@Weekly apologies, Spectrum has it as Electromagnetic Spectrum Manipulation, which does include visible light. Her light does not follow any of the above mentioned criterion, henceforth her calc for speed (based on her being light) is reduced as moot because she doesnt match the criteria? Also Hal Jordan and Green Lantersn are listed wrong, they have limited energy manpualtion (temperature manip) but their rings manipulate light, which is why Dr Light can control their construct. This is something that should be adress, if upmost technicallities are important.

@MaBoi

You seem to be ignoring the fact that:

1) She becomes light and is explicitly referred to as being made up of electromagnetic waves with all their associated properties (i.e. penetrating certain substances at certain wavelengths and is explicitly referred to as having the properties of X-Rays, Gamma Rays e.t.c.) It's a hell of a lot more convincing than whatever you're putting forth for Sting.

2) Green Lanterns are explicitly stated to use Light Constructs based on the power of the Emotional Electromagnetic Spectrum and their powers can be nullified by swallowing all light in the vicinity. Besides, their stats aren't scaled from that but instead the fact that they travel across intergalactic distances.

As WeeklyBattles stated, we don't care what other Wikis say. As long as you're on this one you have to abide by our rulings.

Sting's Light Magic bends and does tons of other things that aren't associated with light. Hence it's not light.

@Reppuzan I dont see how that counters any of my points, in fact you mentioned it yourself. Stings light bends, so does Spectrums and GL yet they are considered to manipulate pure light. It doesnt matter if Spectrum becomes light because by your logic if she bends it it is not light and henceforth the calc for her speed is null. This is the same for GL, but rather than that determining their speed, it just makes them so that their constructs arent light, because they bend, and alot.

So plenty of light users light (even Kizaru from One Piece I believe isnt consistent with "convenient light" yet hes put as a light manipulator") is considered legit in this forum despite having the same inconsistencies as Stings, yet Stings light isnt considered the same?

And be sure I dont participate in other wikis, and I will abide by this wikis rules, but henceforth I will also use it to back up my argument, much as I am with Spectrum and Green Lanterns.

@MaBoi

There's a difference between one's powers being rooted in actual physics i.e. explicitly turning into various electromagnetic waves and adopting their effects) and shooting a "laser" that doesn't show any properties of actually being light.

Kizaru demonstrates way more properties of being actual light than Sting (though we don't rate his combat speed as being lightspeed for the reasons you've stated). For instance, he can only move in a straight line, he's explicitly stated to move at the speed of light, and reflects off mirrors.

Sting has shown none of these things.

@Reppuzan I believe youre taking Stings attacks as being described as a laser too seriously, as in my document I said that was just the first HINT of his attacks being light, it was in a shaky premise as it was also stated by Natsu, who knew nothing of Stings light.

And that is a fair point of their powers being rooted in physics, however the light Spectrum releases in also bendable, so is GL, so it doesnt matter whether or not they are rooted in physics or not. And in fact, comics light hasnt shown primarily to have the instances of meeting the criterion above, they are just stated to be light and we generally accept them, this is especially the case with GL, and maybe even Spectrum. As I believe if you look hard enough, you wont find he light meeting the criterion other than statements by credible scientific sources.

However, I am not here to debate Sting, rather to clarrify myself better what IS and ISNT light in this forum, which I believe you and @Weekly has helped me greatly with. Please expect a new post for the FT Wikis on speed, where I will also used my knowledge gained here to provide a better document.

@MaBoi

Spectrum is explicitly stated to utilize the electromagnetic spectrum and all of its properties. You really can't get more blatant than that. It bends because of the use of her powers. Sting's light bends from shaking his head around. There's a huge difference there.

As I said, I was going to come with a stronger argument considering all the counters towards my debate, however it seems staff will not allow me to open another discussion for my new found proof

Back