• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Kevin Conroy, the iconic voice of Batman, is no longer with us.

KLOL506

He/Him
VS Battles
Calculation Group
Yes folks, you heard it right. Kevin Conroy, the man who had become the voice actor for Batman for generations to come in the iconic Batman: The Animated Series and Justice League cartoons, and eventually into the legendary Batman Arkham series of video games, has passed away after a brief battle with cancer. He was 66 years old at the time of his death.

F

This is heartbreaking. I'm not hear to bad mouth any of the live action actors whether it be Adam West, Michael Keaton, or even Christian Bale. But Kevin Conroy as the VA of Animated Batman and all those various video games is the one I will always remember as the voice of Batman. He is legit one of the greatest voice actors of all time and captured balancing brutal intimidation with unstoppable heroism that defined the character he voice acted. May he Rest in Peace and be remembered fondly.

41QzzJZyG7L.png

I grew up with Batman: The Animated Series, and Kevin Conroy was always the best Batman actor to me, who brought lots of joy and appreciation of heroism to people all over the world.

Rest In Peace. You deserved much better. 🙏

kevin-conroy-batman-1.jpg
url(2).jpg

Last edited:
There isn't much else that needs to be mentioned besides Kevin best Batman ever but I feel a longer, more detailed post would be more poignant and better looking. Kevin held a lot of the more hoakier moments (Yeah you heard me.) together. He was the peak casting choice, and someone I feel doesn't get as much credit as Hamill in their personification. From start to finish of the DCAU Conroy gave an incrediblely diverse vocal range to a character people nowadays tend to associate as emotionally monotone.

He played more than just Batman, He was Bruce Wayne the businessman, and Bruce Wayne the character.

I've read that this scene in particular, was one of his favorite moments in voicing the character. Bruce is unsure about going through with Batman because he found love, he felt happiness for the first time since his parents died. Being well.....Batman...it doesn't last, but the transition is supremely carried by his and the talent brought on by the bevy of other actors that touched his role, no matter the series.

There were even minor things I could see that he added to emphasize his character. This really doesn't get discussed as much as I feel it should but in B:TAS Season 4 and Superman TAS, Batman has grown to be extremely bitter as a person and Conroy nails that subtle change where it rears up.

The boy Bruce promised to take care of, left him, in a bitter, long building, ideological, break up. Kevin helped us feel it.

You can hear it in all of the scenes with the updated art style up until Static. The character was broken because someone who he would (and had) scour the earth for left him over his bitter commitment to the identity of Batman. He felt even emptier and emotionless moreso than the scene with Andrea. It was a darker time in Bruces life and Kevin made us, the viewers subtly notice that transition, we saw and heard it all through him because of Kevin. Though he remained just as dapper as Bruce, that persona was nothing more than a facade.

If you want an even more clear cut of Kevin toying around with Bruce's contextual tone you needn't need look no hard to see it happen in Beyond and JL.
Keeping with the former, he's older, aged, and far more jaded in his values.

Kevin found the perfect even level of gruff and class to emphasize Batman's crusade, along with his feelings on his own mortality.

He lost not only his company, but his own ability to be Batman. The desire was there, but the means to make that desire a reality were lost upon his bitter loaner methodology. Even after Terry takes the cowl and lives up to him, you can not only see the regret Bruce has in the episodes that focus on him, but hear it. Hearing it is the part thats always most convincing.

Where everything comes full circle with DCAU Batman and I'd say Batman in general is Kevin's performance is in JL/JLU. Its peak Batman, Peak Conroy.

Though its at a time canonically before Beyond, Bruce's personal life had seen a marked personal improvement. Working with superheroes more closer to his equal, raising many new ones, and mending his relationships softened the character. Its a marked focal narrative point where Bruce's range as a character opens him up far more in terms of vocal performance than ever before. Where all the tones that Kevin gave and played the character with in the past really come into play per the DCAU's mainstream finality. He could be singing a goofy love song for a "pig", or lamenting his younger years. Chilling out with Flash at a bar one day, and comforting child weapon Ace in her final touching moments the next. No matter the scene, no matter the dialogue, Kevin gave Batman his domineering presence, his personality.

Kevin Conroy made Batman human, not just in the DCAU, but all the times he played the role. In my mind and heart he will always be the best Batman ever. RIP.

Last edited:
There isn't much else that needs to be mentioned besides Kevin best Batman ever but I feel a longer, more detailed post would be more poignant and better looking. Kevin held a lot of the more hoakier moments (Yeah you heard me.) together. He was the peak casting choice, and someone I feel doesn't get as much credit as Hamill in their personification. From start to finish of the DCAU Conroy gave an a game range to a character people tend to associate as monotone.

He played more than just Batman, He was Bruce Wayne the businessman, and Bruce Wayne the character.

I've read that this scene in particular, was one of his favorite moments in voicing the character. Bruce is unsure about going through with Batman because he found love, he felt happiness for the first time since his parents died. Being well.....Batman...it doesn't last, but the transition is supremely carried by his and the talent brought on by the bevy of other actors that touched his role, no matter the series.

There were even minor things I could see that he added to emphasize his character. This really doesn't get discussed as much as I feel it should but in B:TAS Season 4 and Superman TAS, Batman has grown to be extremely bitter as a person and Conroy nails that subtle change where it rears up.

The boy he promised to take care of, left Batman, in a bitter, long building, ideological, break up.

You can hear it in all of the scenes with the updated art style up until Static. The character was broken because someone who he would (and had) scour the earth for left him over his bitter commitment to the identity of Batman. He felt even emptier and emotionless moreso than the scene with Andrea. It was a darker time in Bruces life and Kevin made us, the viewers subtly notice that transition, we saw and heard it all through him because of Kevin. Though he remained just as dapper as Bruce, that persona was nothing more than a facade.

If you want an even more clear cut of Kevin toying around with Bruce's contextual tone you needn't need look no hard to see it happen in Beyond and JL.

Kevin found the perfect even level of gruff and class to emphasize where Bruce viewed his crusade, and his feelings on his own mortality.

He lost not only his company, but his own ability to be Batman. The desire was there, but the means to make that desire a reality were lost upon his bitter loaner methodology. Even after Terry takes the cowl and lives up to him, you can not only see the regret Bruce has in the episodes that focus on him, but hear it. Hearing it is the part thats always most convincing.

Where everything comes full circle with DCAU Batman and I'd say Batman in general is Kevin's performance is in JL/JLU.

Though its at time canonically before Beyond, Bruce's personal life had seen a marked personal improvement. Its a marked focal narrative point where Bruce's range as a character opens him up far more in terms of vocal performance than ever before. Where all the tones that Kevin gave and played the character with really come into play per the DCAU's mainstream finality. He could be singing a goofy love song for a "pig", or lamenting his younger years. Chilling out with Flash at a bar one day, and comforting child weapon Ace in her final touching moments the next.

Kevin made Batman human, not just in the DCAU, but all the times he played the role. In my mind and heart he will always be the best Batman ever. RIP.

Excellently put post. I couldn't have worded it better myself.

There isn't much else that needs to be mentioned besides Kevin best Batman ever but I feel a longer, more detailed post would be more poignant and better looking. Kevin held a lot of the more hoakier moments (Yeah you heard me.) together. He was the peak casting choice, and someone I feel doesn't get as much credit as Hamill in their personification. From start to finish of the DCAU Conroy gave an a great range to a character people tend to associate as emotionally monotone.

The boy Bruce promised to take care of, left him, in a bitter, long building, ideological, break up. Kevin helped us feel it.

Kevin found the perfect even level of gruff and class to emphasize Batman's crusade, along with his feelings on his own mortality.

Where everything comes full circle with DCAU Batman and I'd say Batman in general is Kevin's performance is in JL/JLU. Its peak Batman, Peak Conroy.

Though its at a time canonically before Beyond, Bruce's personal life had seen a marked personal improvement. Working with superheroes more closer to his equal, raising many new ones, and mending his relationships softened the character. Its a marked focal narrative point where Bruce's range as a character opens him up far more in terms of vocal performance than ever before. Where all the tones that Kevin gave and played the character with in the past really come into play per the DCAU's mainstream finality. He could be singing a goofy love song for a "pig", or lamenting his younger years. Chilling out with Flash at a bar one day, and comforting child weapon Ace in her final touching moments the next. No matter the scene, no matter the dialogue, Kevin gave Batman his domineering presence, his personality.

Kevin Conroy made Batman human, not just in the DCAU, but all the times he played the role. In my mind and heart he will always be the best Batman ever. RIP.

Absolutely phenomenal!

What he said also contradicts something spoken by another user that me an Clover were arguing against, but won't talk about that. However, based on his background, he is resting in peace in a better place than this world and has joined the family members who came before him.

Back