• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Jōjū Senjin!! Mushibugyō

Finished. Cried a bit.
Joujuu_Senjin_Mushibugyo_-_Chapter_272_-_1.jpg

I literally had to take a step back and take a screenshot of this cover art when I first saw it because it's so raw. How is this the first story I read where the power of emotions is given to a former serial killer, and he fuels his attacks via self-loathing.
The author's interpretation on that "self loathing killer" archetype is beautifully done. I wasn't joking nor lying when I said I believe Koikawa to be one of the best characters in fiction, because holy shit, he's an amazing character.

This shit could of been a flawless masterpiece if Irori didn't exist bro 😭
At least the final panel being Jimbee shouting Jōjū Senjin got me like:
soda-explosion.gif

If you wanna see some more insane characterization from the author, google the meaning behind Koikawa's entire name and be blown away.
Koikawa's entire name in Kanji: 恋川春菊

恋 - Describes love, which fits nicely into Koikawa's main characteristic of his love/self hatred.
川 - Describes a collection of rivers, which fits nicely when combined with the initial Kanji since Koikawa's main characteristic is his boundless love/self hatred.
春 - Describes Spring, which not only represents the season Koikawa was born in, but in Japan, Spring also has significant symbolization with Sakura petals, which are flower petals that have deep symbolism with love.
菊 - Describes the Chrysanthemum strain of flower, while on the surface it fits with the entire flower aesthetic of Koikawa's design. It holds deeper meaning when combined with the previous Kanji, transforming the word into a specific type of Chrysanthemum; the Crown Daisy, which represents the renewal and rebirth of oneself. It nicely encapsulates Koikawa's entire journey throughout the story, him going through this renewal process of self loathing into finally accepting it wasn't his fault with all the stuff that happened in the past, effectively "rebirthing" himself post mortem.

So even down to the singular Kanji of this dude's name is steeped in personal meaning and characterization for him. @Arc7Kuroi can comment further on this since he understands Japanese Kanji more than I do, but it's is insane how well thought out Koikawa's character actually is.

Last edited:
Back