• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Ji Ning’s Zifu Disciple Range Upgrade

MountainWine

He/Him
Ji Ning’s current range rating for his Zifu Disciple cultivation is “Standard melee range, up to several hundred meters with his most powerful techniques”. A rather low range rating considering his Xiantian cultivation level father and Blindfish both have kilometer range.

Book 1, Chapter 9 - Archery
These massive, heavy tablets were thrown with such force that they made the air howl. They were like four missiles, and had transformed into black dots in the sky.

“Hrm.” A pitch-black greatbow appeared in the hands of the bearded man, Blindfish, along with four arrows. He raised his bow high.

Shua! Shua! Shua! Shua!

Four arrows flashed through the skies, disappearing almost instantly as they chased after those four black dots. Pengpengpengpeng!!!!! Those four black dots totally disappeared.

Ning gaped at the sight.

He gaped for a long time.

“When father tossed those heavy stones, he threw them at least one or two kilometers and turned them into missiles?” Ning felt stunned. “And this Blindfish’s arrows… I felt like, in the blink of an eye, in less than a second, they arrived at that distance of a kilometer or two away. If we calculate it carefully… these arrows must have at least travelled at the speed of nearly two thousand meters a second.”

Book 2, Chapter 3 - Life and Death
An enormous blue sword light attacked.
The ancient monster, Serpentwing, swung his tail towards that blue sword light, not caring about it at all.

"Yichuan, do you think that your sword light can harm me from a distance of two kilometers?"

Bang.

Dark green blood splattered everywhere, and wherever the blood splattered, the ground hissed and bubbled. The marble and the blackwater iron all quickly dissolved. That enormous, thick tail had been cut so deeply, it was nearly severed in half.

Book 2, Chapter 4 - Yichuan’s Rage
Yet another arrow blasted against
Serpentwing's body. Serpentwing howled in agony, and his heart was frantic.

"Yichuan is the number one expert of the Ji clan of the West Prefecture, true, but how can he be this powerful? Earlier, from the great distance of two kilometers, the sword flash of Yichuan's had still been powerful enough to injure me severely. And now, a single arrow of his can injure me. Even a peak Xiantian-level Diremonster is only at most able to hold me down; there's no way one would be able to demolish me so easily!"

Serpentwing's courage had been entirely
shattered by that sword flash from earlier.
A sword flash that could heavily injure him
despite having come from over two kilometers away.

Its been awhile since I read Desolate Era but iirc a basic concept is the higher the cultivation, the greater the range of an attack. Due to greater energy to fuel the distance an attack can travel. Zifu Disciple Ji Ning not only possesses a higher cultivation level than Yichuan and Blindfish, he’s also vastly superior to most Zifu Disciples and possesses extraordinary methods. His Zifu Disciple range rating should be change to Kilometers at the bare minimum.

It's good enough, tho I think we should make it clear that it doesn't apply to all of his techniques.

His Rainwater Domain for example was never that big, his Flamewater Lotuses also weren't at this point. That happens cause stronger types of techniques are harder to have at such distances (we see this still happening even with Ning when he was a Daolord, his domain there had a max range and a shorter "strongest range")

After reviewing some chapters, it seems that a higher cultivation does grant greater range over basic techniques/abilities but doesn’t necessarily apply to more complex and powerful ones which require massive ki reserves to execute in the first place. I agree it should be elaborated his kilometer range applies to his more basic abilities like a sword light slash his father performed or his archery.

Nice to see everyone is agreeing so far. I just reviewed the DE page and another valid reasoning for the kilometers range rating upgrade would be due to Ji Ning’s Great Granduncle Ji Lee’s (also Xiantian cultivation level) approved calc on the wiki. The calc being Ji Lee melting a mountain agreed to have a diameter of at least 1.2 kilometer. Zifu Disciple Ji Ning of course heavily upscales.

Back