• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Issues with 9-A Dishonored

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dargoo_Faust

Blue Doggo Enthusiast
VS Battles
Retired
So, I feel that the justifications for Dishonored characters being 9-A are... lackluster to say the least.

I'll go over a number of reasons that Daud 'tanking' the electricity grenade isn't really consistent with the games and story at large.

Heat Attacks vs. Regular Durability
So, I've had threads on this before, and it seemed to be generally agreed that characters can resist electricity and resist heat without necessarily having a blunt-force durability that reflects the amount of energy that heat puts out.

Considering that, in the same gameplay that the elecricity-mine feats are sourced from, a variety of conventional weaponry such as bullets and blunt weapons can put down Corvo and Emily rather fast, it seems that they're more susceptible to physical/blunt damage than they are to heat-based attacks.

So, Daud and Corvo withstanding this seems to be more of them having a high resistance to heat and electricity rather than them having 9-A durability.

Inconsistency
Daud surviving these mines/grenades might be more of a game mechanic rather than something that is reflective of his power in the lore. As a boss, disintegrating him with mines would be rather anticlimactic, so they gave him a higher health-pool to prevent him from getting inta-killed.

This is made more obvious when one realizes that the same arc-mines, walls of light, and electric sentries that don't inta-kill Daud one or two-shot the player character, even reducing them to dust, unlike Daud. This goes for Daud himself when you're playing as him. If Daud and Corvo/Emily could just tank vaporization energy, you'd imagine most encounters like this would be trivialized in the game itself.

Lack of Supporting Feats
Did a bit of scouring, and there really isn't anything 9-A that Corvo/Emily puts out other than the aformentioned Arc Mines. The 'high explosives' that they 'tank' again, either reduces them to near-death or outright kills them, and the explosions themselves aren't that much more impressive than that of modern-day hand grenades (which adds to the inconsistency).

This doesn't really mean the cast loses 9-A outright; I think it's still fine to say that their weapons can disintegrate foes; it's just that applying this to their physical strength and durability doesn't add up with what we see more consistently in the series.

They'll likely be lowered to 9-C or 9-B with their regular weaponry; Corvo/Emily still have plenty of good feats in that range all things considered, with a few 9-A weapons at their disposal.

There are multiple supporting feats both in the games, in the novels, and in the comics. 9-A is very consistent

There are multiple supporting feats both in the games, in the novels, and in the comics. 9-A is very consistent

Could you list them out? I'm not too familiar with the novels/comics but couldn't find anything 9-A to support the current ratings.

Obligatory question of why they aren't on the profiles, too.

Also sorry to say it but bullets ex machina is a very poor argument in any fictional verse with feats above 9-B

Dargoo Faust said:
Could you list them out? I'm not too familiar with the novels/comics but couldn't find anything 9-A to support the current ratings.

Obligatory question of why they aren't on the profiles, too.
Because im making a crt to have them added, i told you about this

Because im making a crt to have them added, i told you about this

Like, a year or half a year ago? I thought you'd already have some examples that support 9-A by now, that you can post here. Until then the support for the feat is rather shoddy.

Also, I'm not just talking about bullets? I'm talking about nearly every weapon in the game, including other electricity weapons, the latter of which more consistently one-two shot the player.

WeeklyBattles said:
No, a few days ago but you stopped responding to me on discord

Electricity ignores durability sooooo
I'm talking about when you first mentioned it to me.

The 9-A rating comes from electricity in the first place, though?

I mentioned it to you a few days ago.

No it comes from vaporization, as well as tanking building sized explosions and a few other feats

You first mentioned it to me a large number of months ago. I'm not continuing this "he said she said" discussion; neither of us can substantiate what we're saying without revealing private DMs.

... the vaporization is from electricity. I don't recall any 9-A explosions; 9-B grenades can actually grievously injure the player at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back