• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Is this Nonexistent Physiology?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eficiente

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
I like the new changes in the Nonexistent Physiology page, but I'm a bit confused over the Paradoxical Nonexistence type as its text goes in favor and against an example I know of. I'm 90% sure the example is correct, but then it somewhat depends on which parts do I take priority in the wording.

Timmy Turner wished to have never been born, then got a poof around saying "non-exist!" and reality became a timeline where he was never born and his parents had a daughter instead of him, everyone he met had a different life.

Is this Nonexistent Physiology type 3, aspect type 5 due to lacking a past? Note that he doesn't always lack a past, only from the point he made the wish forward, after that he has a past that starts when he made the wish and just existed like that.

Paradoxical Nonexistence says

"Characters still exist, but paradoxically behave as if they don't when attacked." Which I guess is in favor in this being that as Causality Manip can't target the past he dosn't have as it doesn't exist. But needless to say this is not at all portrayed as a combat thing in-universe.

"To qualify for this type, a character needs to be stated to be immune to manipulations of the aspects they are nonexistent in due to their nonexistence." Which is not at all Timmy's case. He's not stated to be immune to anything, it would simply stand to reason that he would due to an aspect of his existence being nonexistent.

"In terms of binary, where existence is 1 and nonexistence is 0, this would be part 0 and part 1 simultaneously" This would be in in favor as his history is a 0 minus eversince he made the wish, from that point on it being a 1.

In the Other Aspect of Nonexistence everything it says goes in line with Timmy's case.

"These characters lack some other fundamental aspect that would be necessary for a normal being's existence or have a nonexistent one." which fits Timmy's case.

"Examples would include things like lacking a history." Which he does, in a limited way.

"They are hence immune to abilities that target that respective aspect." Which is the case.

If he doesn't display any intangibility when attacked or similar (Rather than just theoretically to causality manip), plus the second part not applying here beyond an assumption at best, then he probably doesn't qualify for the power. I'd just mark that as acausality of some type for this case.

Feel free to ping DontTalkDT however.
I mean it sounds like Time Manipulation, he basically popped into another timeline.
What the... no, Time Manip doesn't work like that, timeline semantics are context dependant and are generally something else for our purposes.

If he doesn't display any intangibility when attacked or similar (Rather than just theoretically to causality manip), plus the second part not applying here beyond an assumption at best, then he probably doesn't qualify for the power. I'd just mark that as acausality of some type for this case.

What the... no, Time Manip doesn't work like that, timeline semantics are context dependant and are generally something else for our purposes.
Oh, my bad didn't know that.

he basically popped into another timeline.
It's the same one.
If he doesn't display any intangibility when attacked or similar (Rather than just theoretically to causality manip)
What do you mean by intangibility or similar? The quoted wording says "Characters still exist" and point out again that they exist in part.
plus the second part not applying here beyond an assumption at best, then he probably doesn't qualify for the power. I'd just mark that as acausality of some type for this case.
It's not an assumption at best, it's logical, you can't use causality manip to make him have never been born because he was never born, his parents had a daughter instead of him, every moment he had in the timeline from the past isn't there.
@DontTalkDT

I like the new changes in the Nonexistent Physiology page, but I'm a bit confused over the Paradoxical Nonexistence type as its text goes in favor and against an example I know of. I'm 90% sure the example is correct, but then it somewhat depends on which parts do I take priority in the wording.

Timmy Turner wished to have never been born, then got a poof around saying "non-exist!" and reality became a timeline where he was never born and his parents had a daughter instead of him, everyone he met had a different life.

Is this Nonexistent Physiology type 3, aspect type 5 due to lacking a past? Note that he doesn't always lack a past, only from the point he made the wish forward, after that he has a past that starts when he made the wish and just existed like that.

Paradoxical Nonexistence says

"Characters still exist, but paradoxically behave as if they don't when attacked." Which I guess is in favor in this being that as Causality Manip can't target the past he dosn't have as it doesn't exist. But needless to say this is not at all portrayed as a combat thing in-universe.

"To qualify for this type, a character needs to be stated to be immune to manipulations of the aspects they are nonexistent in due to their nonexistence." Which is not at all Timmy's case. He's not stated to be immune to anything, it would simply stand to reason that he would due to an aspect of his existence being nonexistent.

"In terms of binary, where existence is 1 and nonexistence is 0, this would be part 0 and part 1 simultaneously" This would be in in favor as his history is a 0 minus eversince he made the wish, from that point on it being a 1.

In the Other Aspect of Nonexistence everything it says goes in line with Timmy's case.

"These characters lack some other fundamental aspect that would be necessary for a normal being's existence or have a nonexistent one." which fits Timmy's case.

"Examples would include things like lacking a history." Which he does, in a limited way.

"They are hence immune to abilities that target that respective aspect." Which is the case.
Is he incorporeal in that state or can't be physically attacked as if he were? Because physical nonexistence is a requirement to get NEP in any capacity.

Yeah, I basically meant what DontTalk said. Simply lacking an existencial aspect isn't enought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back