• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Is the Donkey Kong series really canon to the Mario series?

I'm not knowledgable much on the verses canon, but what about the first Donkey Kong game? Obviously there's Donkey Kong (Donkey Kong or at least his ancestor from what I heard), Pauline, and Jump Man (likely Mario) it's even later referenced in Odyssey when Pauline sung

There's also the game where Donkey Kong stole some Mario toys, which isn't a non canon sports game or anything

VSBW gotta be one of the only places in the world where people ask if Mario, Donkey Kong, and Wario exist in the same universe

Anyway Cranky Kong is confirmed to be the same guy Mario deals with in the original arcade game, plus DKC characters tend to show up in spin off games with the normal Mario cast, there's an entire spin off series with Mario and the new DK introduced in the County games fighting over toys. Yoshi's Island DS has DKC Donkey Kong show up as one of the babies.

Anyway Cranky Kong is confirmed to be the same guy Mario deals with in the original arcade game, plus DKC characters tend to show up in spin off games with the normal Mario cast, there's an entire spin off series with Mario and the new DK introduced in the County games fighting over toys. Yoshi's Island DS has DKC Donkey Kong show up as one of the babies.
I'm not knowledgable much on the verses canon, but what about the first Donkey Kong game? Obviously there's Donkey Kong (Donkey Kong or at least his ancestor from what I heard), Pauline, and Jump Man (likely Mario) it's even later referenced in Odyssey when Pauline sung
And thank you

It's unknown whether or not it might actually be retconned; the idea that Cranky Kong was the original Donkey Kong. It was implied back when Rare worked on the DKC trilogy, but the Mario vs Donkey Kong clearly shows Pauline and Mario being about the same age as their originals combined with the fact that modern DK and same one from the DKC line up of games is the one who appears. On top of that, Yoshi's Island DS has Mario and DK as 2 members of the 7 Star Children, but they don't specify if DK there is DK or Cranky Kong.

It's kind of a nobody truly knows situation and Nintendo seems to be going back and forth as of late. I know Gorillas age faster than humans, but even then, I highly doubt Mario would only be in his mid 20's if he was truly the same person as Jumpman in an era where he still looked mature enough to have a high quality mustache in an era where DK's grandfather was youthful and DK's father was just a baby. And one of them was born around the same day as Mario. I have calculated that if original DK was Cranky, it would have to be at least 16 years before the events of the main Mario story. There is a theory that Jumpman is the father of Mario and Luigi with Pauline being a mother who happens to have the same name as a different Pauline, but that's just a theory; a Game Theory!

Yeah the canonicity is weird for DKC and mainline Mario.

Like, we know 100% and they're canon in some way, Multiple characters, even god damn K. Rool at one point, have appeared in Mario Spin-offs, and it's not just DK in every game, with the most common back-up character of the lot being Diddy Kong, but some never appear outside the DKC's crap, like Cranky Kong, the DK64 crew, and the DKC:TF Crew.

But at the same time, it's with Cranky Kong that things get weird, because DKC DK was one of the seven star children... with Mario.

It's unknown whether or not it might actually be retconned; the idea that Cranky Kong was the original Donkey Kong. It was implied back when Rare worked on the DKC trilogy, but the Mario vs Donkey Kong clearly shows Pauline and Mario being about the same age as their originals combined with the fact that modern DK and same one from the DKC line up of games is the one who appears. On top of that, Yoshi's Island DS has Mario and DK as 2 members of the 7 Star Children, but they don't specify if DK there is DK or Cranky Kong.

It's kind of a nobody truly knows situation and Nintendo seems to be going back and forth as of late. I know Gorillas age faster than humans, but even then, I highly doubt Mario would only be in his mid 20's if he was truly the same person as Jumpman in an era where he still looked mature enough to have a high quality mustache in an era where DK's grandfather was youthful and DK's father was just a baby. And one of them was born around the same day as Mario. I have calculated that if original DK was Cranky, it would have to be at least 16 years before the events of the main Mario story. There is a theory that Jumpman is the father of Mario and Luigi with Pauline being a mother who happens to have the same name as a different Pauline, but that's just a theory; a Game Theory!
By the way, Pauline from Odyssey is not the same person as Pauline from the first Donkey Kong game. Her name was Lady and she is listed as a different character in a guide

Last edited:
Back