• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Invincible (TV Show) Speed Downgrade ?

I'm not sure if this downgrade is valid or if you have already discussed it but I prefer to mention it just in case.

In two different episodes, Mark flies from the Earth to the Moon in seconds, a Relativistic feat according to this calculation.
But the problem is that between these two episodes Nolan teaches Mark to break the sound barrier.

In my opinion, the statement makes more sense than Mark's relativistic feats, as Mark has recently received his powers and is learning to use them, and on Earth his father only performs High Hypersonic feats.

Thoughts ?

Last edited:
yeah he only performs high hypersonic feats because we see that moving too fast on a planet means causing country sized explosions, which is in line with the comic saying that they only reach relativistic speeds in space due to being safe, plus all of those feats are casual, and i'm pretty sure mark went from space to the ground in a short time for when nolan mentioned it, so "breaking the sound barrier" is probably a general way of saying that they were training his speed

Disagree as it has been repeatedly stated that they don't want to destroy the envinronment by speeding too much. Here Mark could cut loose and he did and we have no reason to assume that the feat is something beyond what he can do. The feat was pretty clear, Allen was talking about the moon and then Invincible tackled him into it. If the next season shows him pushing himself in space and not reaching similar speed the feat could be regarded as an outlier but for now it should be accepted.

on Earth his father only performs High Hypersonic feats.
Key part of that sentance. ON EARTH. Nolan doesn't go fast on earth to not destroy it. him flying out of the solar system in the ending of the series shows he can go faster.

And as other's have pointed out Nolan "Teaching Mark how to break the sound barrier" is likely teaching him to control his speed. to not destroy the atmosphere, like how Nolan does when he cuts lose. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense for Mark to not be able to break the sound barrier at this point. In the first episode when he first flew, he makes what seems to be a boom cone. Plus, him reaching Airplane level further backs this being a boomcone up. With some quick napkin math, if that airplane was flying at the average height airplanes fly (33,000 feet above sea level.) I think Mark would need to fly at Mach 2 to reach it in 11 seconds. But that's assuming his house is at sea level. I could be wrong. But even if his city is like La Paz and is the highest city above sea level in the world, it'd still be Mach 1.

So I disagree.

Key part of that sentance. ON EARTH. Nolan doesn't go fast on earth to not destroy it. him flying out of the solar system in the ending of the series shows he can go faster.

And as other's have pointed out Nolan "Teaching Mark how to break the sound barrier" is likely teaching him to control his speed. to not destroy the atmosphere, like how Nolan does when he cuts lose. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense for Mark to not be able to break the sound barrier at this point. In the first episode when he first flew, he makes what seems to be a boom cone. Plus, him reaching Airplane level further backs this being a boomcone up. With some quick napkin math, if that airplane was flying at the average height airplanes fly (33,000 feet above sea level.) I think Mark would need to fly at Mach 2 to reach it in 11 seconds. But that's assuming his house is at sea level. I could be wrong. But even if his city is like La Paz and is the highest city above sea level in the world, it'd still be Mach 1.

So I disagree.
Yeah and Mark was being pretty casual here. Also yeah pretty clear sonic boom happening.

so "breaking the sound barrier" is probably a general way of saying that they were training his speed
That seems like a weird explanation to me.
Usually when someone says something or someone breaks the sound barrier it's literal, it's not hyperbole or flowery language like "go faster than lightning" or something like that, especially since in the context it makes sense because Mark has recently had his powers. The other thing to note is that we almost always see Nolan break the sound barrier when he flies in the series, with the characteristic sonic boom, while Mark never.

If Mark can reach relativistic speeds in space, he should have no trouble exceeding the speed of sound on earth, but his father said Mark struggled all day trying to break the speed of sound.

In the first episode when he first flew, he makes what seems to be a boom cone. Plus, him reaching Airplane level further backs this being a boomcone up. With some quick napkin math, if that airplane was flying at the average height airplanes fly (33,000 feet above sea level.) I think Mark would need to fly at Mach 2 to reach it in 11 seconds. But that's assuming his house is at sea level. I could be wrong. But even if his city is like La Paz and is the highest city above sea level in the world, it'd still be Mach 1.
Oh, I forgot those details, you're probably right

Back