• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Interacting with abstract, but not conceptual things

EliminatorVenom

VS Battles
Thread Moderator
In these last few days, when wondering how to go about creating pages for various Fallen London beings, one thing I noticed within the verse but that is very likely applicable to many others in fiction is how we would treat beings that would be able to interact with abstract ideas that aren't, however, concepts or things such as space-time.

Within the verse, the main example is that there are characters that can physically and literally interact with - and turn others into - stories, but there are other moments when they interact with things that are of a similarly abstract nature. There is a character in the verse, Mr Eaten who is just... abstract. He isn't an idea, nor exactly is nonexistent, but he is just something that is and isn't there at the same time. And there are other such beings that can interact with (and once again, I must reiterate that they do it physically, not through any specific power to manipulate those things) things such as love, dreams and some other things.

I do thing this is probably a form of NPI, but not only I want to confirm if this is conceptual NPI, but also I want to ask if said characters, in your opinion, would be able to interact with concepts or conceptual/abstract beings.

Yes, it would be NPI on abstract beings as those things listed are indeed abstractions however they could only interact with conceptual beings if they had feats of interacting with concepts (not the mental ones) or conceptual beings, otherwise, they could not by our current standards.

Back