• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Important about the wiki's image galleries

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Hello.

Very unfortunately, Fandom's UCX system upgrade means that our image galleries no longer use the same fundamental code command system as previously, which causes some serious problems for our layout in this regard.

The new system can be inspected and learned via the following page:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Images#Rendering_a_gallery_of_images

I asked Ursuul to update the standard settings for regular non-slideshow galleries to mode="packed" yesterday, so they at least look considerably less bad than previously, as all of the gallery images used to be far too small, with a gray area surrounding them.

Here is what all of the regular galleries looked like before their standard settings were updated by Ursuul yesterday:

Screenshot_20210601-191702_Firefox.jpg

And here is what the page looks like now: Dragon Ball

The big problem is for our slideshow galleries. For example, the two in Koyomi Araragi's page. They used to be moderately-sized gifs on the right side of the page, but are now tiny gifs smaller than two lines of text, surrounded by a large amount of blank space.

I have asked Ursuul for help to adjust the standard settings so the slideshow images turn larger, but, extremely unfortunately, I think that anything beyond updating the standard settings requires gradually adjusting each gallery on an individual level by using the new code system to make them work properly again.

That said, I am trying to do what I can to convince Fandom to change back to the old programming code system, or at least allow it again as an alternative, so please do not initiate any experimentation yet.

Last edited:
I would also like to add to this that not all galleries are treated the same. Instead of being standard sizes like on Dragon Ball's verse page, some verse pages, like Medaka Box and Monogatari now have their images all at different sizes, making for an inconsistent & ugly viewing experience.

@Yar_R_agi_7k Those links still work for me :v

fAGeNv0.png

interesting link throws me here

I have fixed the displayed image.

Anyway, Fandom has usually been very reasonable in the past, so I hope that they will be convinced to allow us to use the old code as well.

This is mainly a public information message for those who wonder what is going on.

Is it a change that is bound to become required?
Can't we just all switch back to the old display in our preferences?

This information is valid; though it's unfortunate that a lot of people might need to update their sandboxes and the like.

Is it a change that is bound to become required?
Can't we just all switch back to the old display in our preferences?
Currently you can switch back to the old display, as this is just a test period to see what needs to be fixed, but in a few months I think that the change will be mandatory.

This information is valid; though it's unfortunate that a lot of people might need to update their sandboxes and the like.
Well, let's wait with that. A Fandom staff member told me that others have reported similar problems, and this issue will be discussed soon. So let's hope for the best at least.

Ursuul has informed me that the issues with slideshow galleries (such as on Koyomi's profile) are a bug that's planned to be fixed. And that for the galleries, there may be some CSS trickery that would let us approximate the old look, which Ursuul would be able to implement for our wiki if desired.

With every update they make, editing becomes unnecessarily difficult. There is no need to leave something simple as complex.

We need to be patient. I think that they are working on fixing the problem, and that this happened due to that they did not use the standard mediawiki code for image galleries, so when they switched to a new system, this happened automatically.

You're right! It's all perfect!

Back