• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Imperial II Class Star Destroyer Vs The World's Superpowers

Shadowbokunohero

VS Battles
Content Moderator
this fight was heavily inspired by Echkartsladder's video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5x2h24nje4

however, I'm going to change a few things to make it more suitable for our wiki

• The Imperial II Stardestroyers Shields and Heavy Turbolasers have been damaged prior to it invading earth, so those parts are completely unusable
  • World Largest Superpowers and their Military take on the Imperial Destroyer
  • Star Destroyer is in the atmosphere
  • They have 24 Hours to take out the Star Destroyer before the former regains their heavy turbolasers and shields
  • No sith lords onboard
  • Speed is =

What about fighter complement? Does the ISD2 have her standard TIE fighter and bomber complement?

And what about other vehicles? An ISD2 would typically carry some transports like Lambda and Sentinel shuttles and also walkers like AT-ATs and AT-STs.

Ricsi-viragosi said:
Then they get a pyrric victory by destroying the atmosphere with it.
Destroying the atmosphere? Even if the ISD2's reactors were to be self-destructed, that is still only High 6-B yield.

Any atomic bomb exploding in the atmosphere would, while not destroy it AP wise, destabilze it to the point that humans would simply die

Brief summary: Taking down or taking control of an Imperial-class star destroyer in anything less than a couple of days and without intel from an imperial source (be it a traitor or captive) is simply impossible for our real life Earth's military forces.

I'm going to assume the ISD has her standard complement of 72 TIEs. At least 12 of those are going to be TIE Bombers. Of the remaining 60 TIEs, at least 12 are going to be TIE Interceptors. The remaining will be standard TIE Fighters. I'm also going to assume standard complement of multiple (at least two) Gozanti-class Cruisers, and no Raider-class Corvettes.

TIE/LN and TIE/IN: A common misconception among Star Wars down-players is that the TIEs' transonic speed is a liability. They forget that most real life dogfights take place at Subsonic+ speeds. Any fighters which attempted a Supersonic dogfight would find themselves either stalling or ripped apart. As for the thing about them standing no chance against the best modern fighters due to a range disadvantage: I say it's a silly notion. The anti-air missiles of our modern fighters have yields comparable to standard blaster carbines in Star Wars. And starfighters are mostly impervious to that shit even without deflectors. Sure, Poe's X-wing was destroyed by handheld blaster fire in The Force Awakens. But that was mostly from bolts hitting a fuel line and the death blow was delivered via sustained fire from a damn blaster cannon (whose yields per shot are several times that of the most powerful main cannon tanks in real life). Our modern fighters simply lack the armaments needed to take down even an unshielded TIE. There is also the problem of them being unlikely to even be able to lock onto and track a TIE. A TIE's laser cannons would vaporize even something like an A-10 Thunderbolt II with a single well placed hit. Even a glancing starfighter laser cannon shot would slag a large chunk of any of our fighters. And don't even get me started on the agility difference. TIEs can pull of some absolutely crazy manoeuvres thanks to their engines and tech which negates g-forces to the point that TIE pilots can pull off insane moves without having to worry about passing out. We've even seen crazy-ass pilots swing their fighters around, fly backward, and fire at a pursuer. We've even seen non-Force-sensitives actually shoot down freaking anti-air missiles (thrice in canon).

TIE Bombers: Their laser cannons would reduce any of our modern ground vehicles to slag. And they can carry proton warheads which can penetrate bunkers and hull plating designed to withstand armaments in the range of hundreds of Megatons. Against craft like these, our ground vehicles and fortifications might as well be made of cardboard. And seeing as how they're much more durable than the standard TIE, our anti-air cannons and missiles would be useless against them. Only a well placed hit right on the cockpit view-port would be crippling. And the odds of such happening are minuscule.

Lambda and Sentinel shuttles: These craft are equipped with well armoured hulls which should be no less durable than something like a Kom'rk-class Fighter; and deflector shielding that should be able to withstand tractor forces great enough to rip apart entire cities (and cities in Star Wars can get pretty damn big). They also pack laser cannons as powerful as those on heavy starfighters. They would chew through any of our fortifications and vehicles.

Gozantis We see in multiple canon works that ISD2s do carry with them multiple Gozantis. These things have laser cannons as strong as those on heavy starfighters and even heavy laser cannons that are capital grade. We've seen in Rebels that the Arquitens-class's quad laser cannons can obliterate skyscraper sized rock formations with single shots (said rock formation only seemed small because it was under a ship as long as the Empire State Building is tall). They can transport AT-ATs into battle and also provide tremendous ground support with their cannons. They can also transport a lot of troops. The Battlefront: Twilight Company novel states that they can also be equipped with proton warheads, but this doesn't appear to be a standard fit on Gozantis (so I won't consider them).

The ISD2: Given the damage she has suffered and the restriction on her going up into orbit, her captain is likely to order her into the upper reaches of the atmosphere, where our strike craft simply cannot reach. From there, she can proceed to rain down destruction with her medium turbolasers. A single medium turbolaser shot on the highest power setting would render any of our air-fields useless and sustained bursts from them would reduce any of our cities to slag. Her SB-920 laser cannons could destroy a great number of the nukes we'd launch against her. Those that do hit would unlikely do significant damage. Tarkin in his Executrix (she was an Imperial I-class) has dealt with insurgents packing nuclear bombs and didn't seem the least bit worried about his precious personal flagship taking damage. And the EMP argument is nonsensical. Proton warheads are focused nuclear fusion warheads and a barrage of them can only damage and unshielded ISD2's hull, with EMPs doing jack shit. I would also like to point out that heavy turbolaser blasts are nuclear. And their EMPs also do jack shit to capital ships systems (though they would wreck the hull royally). We've seen that ships that are puny compared to an ISD (such as light freighters and heavy starfighters) can skim a proto-star without worrying about EMPs. Another thing I'd like to point out is that any Imperial captain, even a lenient one, is likely to order the vessel to hover above a major population centre and demand that Earth's forces not move against the vessel, lest they order a bombardment that would kill millions.

Co-ordination from the world's elite forces: The world's elite are likely to conclude that the best way to take down the ISD2 would be to commandeer her. This would require such a crazy amount of planning and sheer dumb luck. Even if they did somehow manage to steal an Imperial shuttle or Gozanti, they would be destroyed by the ISD2's cannons as soon as they got within a few kilometres without the proper codes. The only reason this bloody trick worked in the Aftermath: Life Debt novel was due to Han Solo being given inside intel and imperial codes by Sinjir Rath Velus, a former Imperial intelligence operative who was now working for the New Republic (and is also a really well written character). Literally the only way our elite special forces would get this to work is if they had inside help from an imperial traitor or if they managed to torture the codes out of an imperial POW. None of this shit would be possible in a day or even two. This kind of operation would take days to plan and execute and come together properly. There is also the fact that once they do get on-board the ISD2, they'd have to fight a bloody battle to take the three portions of an ISD2 you need to secure in order to have the ship under your control. They wouldn't be able to do this without insider intel. And the only ones with this kind of knowledge are imperial navy officers and TIE pilots of rank Lieutenant and up. The former are unlikely to have their boots on Earth and be outside of the main bridge tower, and the latter are unlikely to be taken alive by Earth's forces.

Ricsi-viragosi said:
Any atomic bomb exploding in the atmosphere would, while not destroy it AP wise, destabilze it to the point that humans would simply die
???

Town level+ laser cannon fire impacts harmlessly against an ISD1's hull and City level to Mountain level armaments can barely even shake one.

And..? I said that they could only get a pyrric victory, as the only equipment that can damage it would blow the atmosphere to hell. No human would do that tough

Ricsi-viragosi said:
And..? I said that they could only get a pyrric victory, as the only equipment that can damage it would blow the atmosphere to hell. No human would do that tough
What exactly do you mean by "blow the atmosphere to hell"?

I mean that the amount of nukes would ruin the atmosphere more than humans had done so in their whole existence, we would go beyond the "point of no return" and anything that works with electricity within several dozens to hundreds of meters within the explosion would be destroyed

I see. You mean we would launch all of our nukes at it in the hopes that we would take it down. I was getting confused with the choice of wording there.

Back