• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

If you could get past the gravity problem could you touch/move a black hole?

I am currently working on a little personal project and I have a character that falls in whatever direction is "down" relitive to them at a rate of 10mss (I just chose that at random. It's subject to change.) And they are unaffected by any gravitational force except the one from their ability. I was wondering if they could A. Return from the event horizon of a black hole (I assume they can because the gravity doesn't affect them) and B. Could they grab and move the black hole excluding the problem of the enormous mass, vacuum of space, it eating the earth, etc.) I have heard a singularity is a point so I would think it would just pass straight through their hand as a point is smaller than atoms. I read the page on black holes so I don't think they would be able to grab it but I wanted to ask in case anyone knew something I didn't or that I missed.

A. I'm uncertain. The blackhole would also be drawing in other things, matter and waves, at incredible speed. So he might struggle to get out. Additionally, at the event horizon the character would have to deal with massive ammounts of matter swirling around it at near light speed, and creating a quasar which would have incredible heat and kinetic energy. If the character was durable enough to escape

B. I don't believe so. Within a black hole, the force carrying particles shouldn't be able to escape and would just be drawn inwards, so if you passed through the singularity I don't think it should be able to push back against you, and you shouldn't be able to move it.

This answer is almost definitely somewhat wrong, but based on my understanding of the physics involved I think it should be roughly how it would work.

The assumption would be that your character can resist even infinite gravity if he was able to get anywhere near the singularity and still not be affected, just clarifying that.

For moving the blackhole, it can actually be very much done. Blackholes don't violate the laws of conversation of momentum, it would keep the momentum of something being thrown at it for example. The issue is the energy versus the mass of it, plus the mass of any other material being sucked in at great speeds. But still doable.

As for another consideration... Being able to be unaffected by Gravity may not be enough, due to the immensely high gravity also causing a perturbation in the space time of the area (if I am remembering good, I was hecking bad at physics), so maybe give that a consideration. It's best if you fished around for more knowledgeable members to clarify that.

Gravity itself is a distortion of space time, so I went with the assumption that if he's immune to the effects of gravity, he's also immune to the related effects on space time, but if not then that would definitely cause some trouble.

Black holes do move. We have recently witnessed gravitational waves from the collision of two black holes. it's perfectly possible to move a black hole from outside the event horizon. Just put a massive object and gravity will do the rest.

However to do it from inside I don't know if it's possible. GR and QM can't make any accurate prediction of the singularity. Even with Resistance to Gravity you might get converted to a 0 dimensional point

Thanks everyone for the input. I had completely forgotten that black holes are weird and are more than just high gravity. I appreciate all your help. Also Lancelot you have a good point. Being completely immune to all gravity including infinite might be a bit much and a tad unnecessary. I might modify that. But even so the gravity thing was their only power so they would have gotten destroyed by the other side effects even if it wasn't the gravity itself that did them in.

Back