• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

If a user generated site/app explicitly verifies that you're allowed to use it's assets to create stories, does it allow such profiles here?

^^^; I'll verify a bit.

I'm posting this first so some trolls and big smokes won't slam the wiki and post gacha life extra ultra cringe here. I want verification first on this.

Disclaimers (emotional charge warning):
  • As much as I find some of the cringe funny, no, not all of the gacha life community is childishly cringe or terrible in writing. You might as well delete Thomas the Tank Engine's profile and any other associated to be joke characters' seriously written profiles here if you're trying to delete profiles on the basis that they're cringe. If they disobey the rules like "they're not original works," I'm more than willing to bite the bitter pill anyways since I can write them in FCOC. And this is VSBW, the staff can do what they need to do to keep VSBW the way it is and a safe place to chat.
  • Even if this is another "Roblox" case or something, only original works like Unbounded will be allowed on-site. Stuff that doesn't have original assets that are a major part of the plot won't be allowed here. No worries for anyone who just hates the gacha life community in general.
End of disclaimers
We're allowed to have fan verses and profiles if they have legal permission from their creator. What happens to original user-generated verses based off of this if the original user generated thing has a canon, and the the original user generated thing explicitly allows you to use said assets that are in it's canon? This is likely a different case, but why are Roblox original verses allowed on-site?

Lunime is a decent, but not terrible app developer, but his dress up apps are usually mostly the same. Much of his apps state you're allowed to use their assets despite some of them having a canon [Gacha Life has a "Life Mode"]. And as you can edit/put your developed apps' descriptions, it's likely Luni (or his staff if any) likely are the ones who put the descriptions there.

Gacha Life 2 about section: "Choose from thousands of dresses, shirts, hairstyles, weapons, and much more! After designing your characters, enter the Studio and create your own scenes and stories!"

Gacha Life 1 about section: "Choose from hundreds of dresses, shirts, hairstyles, weapons, and much more! After designing your characters, enter the Studio and create any scene you can imagine! Choose from over a hundred backgrounds to create the perfect story!"

Gacha Studio (Anime Dress Up) about section: "Create your own anime styled characters and dress them up in your favorite fashion outfits! Boys and girls can choose from hundreds of dresses, shirts, hairstyles, hats, and much more! After designing your characters, enter the Studio and create any scene you can imagine!"

Given how quality enough fictions created in Roblox have been put on the VS Battles Wiki and no one has got them removed yet, it seems to me that the medium of the fiction isn't the top priority. A fiction being made in Roblox, Gacha Life, or something like that, would definitely make people skeptical of its qualifications, since it's easy for someone to use those platforms to make unoriginal content that would only resonate with a few people, but if the usage of those platforms is to the point where it's basically just a replacement for using something like an animation software or a game maker software, then there shouldn't be a problem with it. I know a bit about Roblox, and despite its portrayal as being a single game with many user generated "experiences," it's functionally a medium for people to make their own video games and play those created by other people. Someone having used such a software to make their game doesn't inherently make it disqualified from being put on the VS Battles Wiki, in the same way series originating from social media isn't inherently disqualified as long as they have enough quality and success.

Given how quality enough fictions created in Roblox have been put on the VS Battles Wiki and no one has got them removed yet, it seems to me that the medium of the fiction isn't the top priority. A fiction being made in Roblox, Gacha Life, or something like that, would definitely make people skeptical of its qualifications, since it's easy for someone to use those platforms to make unoriginal content that would only resonate with a few people, but if the usage of those platforms is to the point where it's basically just a replacement for using something like an animation software or a game maker software, then there shouldn't be a problem with it. I know a bit about Roblox, and despite its portrayal as being a single game with many user generated "experiences," it's functionally a medium for people to make their own video games and play those created by other people. Someone having used such a software to make their game doesn't inherently make it disqualified from being put on the VS Battles Wiki, in the same way series originating from social media isn't inherently disqualified as long as they have enough quality and success.
And another question, where do we draw the line between mediums that can be used for any original work and a medium used for fan fics like wattpad?

As much as anyone can make fanfics and original works on wattpad. Anyone can write or make art/fiction that can make an original/fanfic work. Does that qualify or disqualify any fanfics or original works here on the main site?

And another question, where do we draw the line between mediums that can be used for any original work and a medium used for fan fics like wattpad?

As much as anyone can make fanfics and original works on wattpad. Anyone can write or make art/fiction that can make an original/fanfic work. Does that qualify or disqualify any fanfics or original works here on the main site?
Fan-fictions can't be used regardless of where they are made. Notable and original works have the potential to be allowed on the VS Battles Wiki no matter the platform they were made in. If the platform doesn't allow the user to stray away from a few tens of pre-made choices, it doesn't allow for notable and original work to be made on it in the first place. Meanwhile, a platform like Wattpad gives the user the freedom to write their own stories completely in text, so writers have great potential there and they could produce fictional works that meet the qualifications to be included on the VS Battles Wiki.

Fan-fictions can't be used regardless of where they are made. Notable and original works have the potential to be allowed on the VS Battles Wiki no matter the platform they were made in. If the platform doesn't allow the user to stray away from a few tens of pre-made choices, it doesn't allow for notable and original work to be made on it in the first place. Meanwhile, a platform like Wattpad gives the user the freedom to write their own stories completely in text, so writers have great potential there and they could produce fictional works that meet the qualifications to be included on the VS Battles Wiki.
That's the vague thing. An art program, medium, app like wattpad allow the complete freedom for anyone to create original and fanmade works. And wattpad is stated as an example of a fan source thing (which the rules disallow). Like, does that make any art medium or software a fan source if suddenly most people use it as such?

Roblox is a fan source too since some game there have copyrighted content (sonic.exe is an example of such).

I hope this doesn't turn into a staff discussion based off of this.

That's the vague thing. An art program, medium, app like wattpad allow the complete freedom for anyone to create original and fanmade works. And wattpad is stated as an example of a fan source thing (which the rules disallow). Like, does that make any art medium or software a fan source if suddenly most people use it as such?

Roblox is a fan source too since some game there have copyrighted content (sonic.exe is an example of such).

I hope this doesn't turn into a staff discussion based off of this.
Well, Wattpad is a platform for writers in general, not just for fan-fiction writers. I know of it as a place where a lot of people write fan-fiction, but that's only grounds to be skeptical of a story originating from it, not to dismiss any story from it as fan-fiction without question. The same should apply to any platform. It's the specific content that matters, not what a bunch of other people so happen to be doing near the specific content. If there is a rule against the inclusion of any story that originates from Wattpad, I don't know why, because using that logic, any story that originates on YouTube should be disallowed because YouTube is a platform where many people create fan-fiction, yet many stories that originate from YouTube get included on the VS Battles Wiki.

Well, Wattpad is a platform for writers in general, not just for fan-fiction writers. I know of it as a place where a lot of people write fan-fiction, but that's only grounds to be skeptical of a story originating from it, not to dismiss any story from it as fan-fiction without question. The same should apply to any platform. It's the specific content that matters, not what a bunch of other people so happen to be doing near the specific content. If there is a rule against the inclusion of any story that originates from Wattpad, I don't know why, because using that logic, any story that originates on YouTube should be disallowed because YouTube is a platform where many people create fan-fiction, yet many stories that originate from YouTube get included on the VS Battles Wiki.
"Officially published works that have reached a high level of notability will be considered for inclusion within the VS Battles Wiki. The use of Wattpad and similar fan work sources is prohibited. However, self-published works will also be considered as long as they meet the aforementioned criteria of notability."

I guess if the work is self-published, it doesn't matter whether or not it's on Wattpad, hence the usage of the word "however." Much like why the SCP Foundation became disallowed on the VS Battles Wiki, battleboarders could make genuinely well written original stories on Wattpad, which could be problematic.

I guess if the work is self-published, it doesn't matter whether or not it's on Wattpad, hence the usage of the word "however." Much like why the SCP Foundation became disallowed on the VS Battles Wiki, battleboarders could make genuinely well written original stories on Wattpad, which could be problematic.
Oh. That can be vague.

Well then what does this mean for verses that had a major impact on their respective communities that used to be popular (a factor in notability)? Not that it matters since CuteSpud isn't clear in terms of copyrighted/copyright free music, but it will matter im the future for verses like thw music freaks, Unbounded, etc.

Oh. That can be vague.

Well then what does this mean for verses that had a major impact on their respective communities that used to be popular (a factor in notability)? Not that it matters since CuteSpud isn't clear in terms of copyrighted/copyright free music, but it will matter im the future for verses like thw music freaks, Unbounded, etc.
The popularity factor is multi-purpose, because it's not only a reason for more than a handful of people to care about a profile, but it's also an extra challenge in addition to the story being well written and original, which functions as a precaution to prevent people from trying to "game" the VS Battles Wiki system. (I don't know if that's intentional or not, but it works efficiently.)

I've read that what music a fiction uses isn't too much of an important factor. I forgot the source, but either way, if everything else is fine, I doubt someone's going to be like: "Erm, actually, at 3:48 of [a video], the music isn't royalty free nor licensed, so begone with your verse! 🤓☝️"

The popularity factor is multi-purpose, because it's not only a reason for more than a handful of people to care about a profile, but it's also an extra challenge in addition to the story being well written and original, which functions as a precaution to prevent people from trying to "game" the VS Battles Wiki system. (I don't know if that's intentional or not, but it works efficiently.)
The weakness on popularity is that it's not forever for any smaller verses. Someone 5-10 years from now could have one of your fav small verses removed if it relied on popularity. I prefer long term popularity, cultural/community impact, and other longer lasting options for the verses I want here.
I've read that what music a fiction uses isn't too much of an important factor. I forgot the source, but either way, if everything else is fine, I doubt someone's going to be like: "Erm, actually, at 3:48 of [a video], the music isn't royalty free nor licensed, so begone with your verse! 🤓☝️"
That's one of the arguments used by staff again my gacha life verse. No kidding.

If a piece of audio isn't a part of an original work and is a big part of the plot, the verse could be removed based off of that.

The weakness on popularity is that it's not forever for any smaller verses. Someone 5-10 years from now could have one of your fav small verses removed if it relied on popularity. I prefer long term popularity, cultural/community impact, and other longer lasting options for the verses I want here.
If there's evidence the fiction achieved popularity at some point, like if one of its videos reached one million views, I believe that's enough for the popularity factor to not be a problem, even if everyone on the VS Battles Wiki except you has never heard of the fiction.
That's one of the arguments used by staff again my gacha life verse. No kidding.

If a piece of audio isn't a part of an original work and is a big part of the plot, the verse could be removed based off of that.
It becomes an issue if the music is a big part of the plot. People can make fan-fiction of music y'know? The copyrighted lyrics could also replace original writing, which is a problem. However, if it's only random replaceable background music and there are no other problems, I think the argument that the fiction is disqualified from being included in the VS Battles Wiki is pedantic or biased. I certainly wouldn't have an issue with the VS Battles Wiki including a popular high quality originally and skillfully written YouTube series if it so happened to use copyrighted music unlicensed to set the mood in a few scenes, which could've been done with royalty free music. On the other hand, if a series relies on such music to gain attention and to compensate for blandness in the writing, even if the music doesn't explicitly have to do with the plot, then I understand why people would have a problem with it.

If there's evidence the fiction achieved popularity at some point, like if one of its videos reached one million views, I believe that's enough for the popularity factor to not be a problem, even if everyone on the VS Battles Wiki except you has never heard of the fiction.
Uh, I don't think the rules say anything that a fiction is still allowed even if it's popularity has died out. That sounds like another needed Q&A question here of another thread...

Uh, I don't think the rules say anything that a fiction is still allowed even if it's popularity has died out. That sounds like another needed Q&A question here of another thread...
I think the rules don't clarify it because what they mean by the popularity factor is that the fiction in question has achieved popularity at some point, so it can be notable enough for people to recognize it, even if it's not fresh in their minds and would require them to recall experiencing it years ago. Example: I sure know The Yellow Submarine isn't mainstream in 2024, but it's a notable piece of media because it was popular at some point decades ago.

Notability, basically.

Also, original work is not the same thing as fanfic, fanfics are not allowed, Ant said that original series from Youtube should at least have 1 million views in an episode to qualify, and IIRC he also said that original webnovels should have 1 million views as well (or maybe it was another staff member)

Last edited:
Notability, basically.

Also, original work is not the same thing as fanfic, fanfics are not allowed, Ant said that original series from Youtube should at least have 1 million views in an episode to qualify, and IIRC he also said that original webnovels should have 1 million views as well (or maybe it was another staff member)
If that's the case, then should wattpad really be a good example of a fan source if an original work there stands up to notability standards?

I think better examples should be mentioned besides wattpad. Like anyone can use an art program, wattpad like source, a medium, etc to make fan and original works.

Back