• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Ideas on how to get more people to join this wiki?

Monarch_Laciel

VS Battles
Retired
I'm just trying to start a discussion where we can post our ideas on how to make this site more well known.

Post any thoughts below.

What Xmark12 said. You can also do this as well but it can be pretty risky-ish depending where you advertise this stuff of our wikia at...

@Darkmon: I don't think that's part of this discussion tho? Since this is about advertising this wikia to get others to join here. Unless it's about advertising this wikia to have Creepypasta on here? I can probably see that...

We're already advertised on vsbattles, aren't we?

@Promestein: A couple or so times, actually. I think this is also in reference to advertising FC/OC on other wikias that may interested on here.

CrossverseCrisis said:
@Darkmon: I don't think that's part of this discussion tho? Since this is about advertising this wikia to get others to join here. Unless it's about advertising this wikia to have Creepypasta on here? I can probably see that...
well maybe if the creeppasts are not allowed on vs wiki then maybe the rule that says that can refer here for info on them? it reffers to joke for memes so why not here for the creeps?

deviantArt is a definite factor; I ran a group called OC-Death-Battle on there before I even heard of this place. Then again a lot of the Death Battle people don't really trust VS Battles so that migt be a flop.

@Bambu: I've heard of that as well from the normal Death Battle community there. Given that FC/OC uses everything from VSBW, idk if advertising this place to them would do anything in our favor here.

I'd say it has a 50/50 shot of getting people and pissing a good lot of them off. I also run the biggest Death Battle community over there and more often than not whenever I suggest vsbattles as a source they say "can't trust them" or something similar. So...

Eh maybe not. I'll see myself out.

Mmm. Well it can be worth a shot. I don't mind if they don't like how VSBW works, i would prefer if they don't talk crap about it here. Assuming they happen to use our systems here even.

Oh, seems legit. Advertising, just like you said seems very risky but I can't think of anything else, so it really just depends on the community whether or not they let others advertise their own wikia.

A few of them do refer to the tier system but not in-depthly. I'm one of the few that do use the stuff here.

@Roymaster: Indeed. That's why i don't advertise much since it's likely that nobody would be interested in it or for other such reasons.

@Bambu: Ah okay, fair enough.

I wouldn't recommend advertising on DA (and yes, I had an account there - still have one, but nowhere near as active as before. And I am familiar with the Vs Community there, too). Just saying.

Have we thought of Death Battle Fanon wiki. Yeah there are some cancerous members. However there are people there who are more open minded. Heck we have OMM Wikia. Not only that but we also have fandoms in general. However, this all comes with a risk.

@Dragon: I actually tried them months ago and i only got one person there. Though we did end up having more along the way but not through advertising such as Saikou and Flourine.

We're likely getting more people from there, at least. Though there was a time where i banned them due to having such low-quality pages and whatnot (i most likely pissed them off by then and now still.)

Yeah... :/.

But it's as said, there's a risk to it and one that can pretty ruin our peaceful wikia here; regardless of low that risk can possibly be.

I mean we can try, but you gotta be really careful of you present it and all.

Well thing is almost all of our stuff here copy, pasted, and used directly from VSBW itself.

Though there are people who do post here even if they don't like VSBW. As long as they follow the general standards we have and made here and just don't cause a fuss about VSBW in anyway on here, they're good and fine. That's it.

Hmmmm... well, advertisements aren't bad on paper, but;

1. Advertisements on the wrong kinds of people can screw this wiki hard. The Oc groups are one of the most toxic community I've seen.(Not all of them, btw.). And they could make insanely obsolete characters or trash in a lot of tier 0s.

2. The wiki will be harder to manage. The amount of pages to keep track of will be a big hassle. I don't think Cross wants that, he's busy with 3 wikis already.

So yeah, that's my two cents on this discussion.

They aren't really bad for sure, but what Xanix said is true (except for the ones on taking care of the wikia's thing. It's just VSBW and here, not counting Real Life stuff like college to take care of. Just to correct ya).

But aside that, it's very likely true that we may have a bunch of people who make either obsolete characters or trash quality ones or whatever and make them stupidly strong at Tier 1 or even 0 with no apparent reason other than for the sake of it (as have always said here of that). This of course assumes if the person does not know how to do formatting, proper grammar and spacing, not knowing even the very basics of how our tier and statistics pages even work and how we use it, etc. These ones plus following the rules for them are very important if they want to make goods pages AND if they want to stay here or come by every now and then.

On top of that, this wikia will of course also be harder to manage too for sure once we do have more people. I don't necessarily keep track of all of them but i do look out for some of them at a time if it interests me enough to look them up and whatever.

But yeah more or less of what Xanix said above can be a severe problem for the wikia here. We definitely don't want to have anymore people who just make OP characters just for the sake of it or even just trying to make them the most powerful thing without even knowing the basics of our general stuff here and whatnot.

This does however depend WHERE you take this up to at. It can still be good, but the effects of them leading those said above by Xanix earlier aren't out of the ballpark either (or a way of saying, it can also be bad as well).

Hmmm... could've sworn you managed JB wiki too but maybe I was mistaken?

Anyways, if you're gonna advertise anyway, do NOT advertise in these communities or communities that you think will eventually spread there:

My Little Pony, Sonic, FNaF, The Otaku (The ones that take anime too far) community, Children, Facebook, Twitter, 4chan(Oh god NO), ANY troll community, OC haters, Final Fantasy community.

I'm not slandering these communities, by the way, but sharing them there has a high risk of getting toxic people here and cause a massive disturbance.

You are greatly mistaken on that part, Xanix. I'm not a staff member there. Only here and of VSBW. That's it.

Hmm. Those places sound really bad to advertise. I can see that to all of them being potential problems here. DK about Final Fantasy but i'll go along with that then.

Never knew the FF community was bad... Youtube is another bad place to advertise as well as Screwattack forums since many users hate our guts.

However, once I get situated maybe I can get people from the Soulcalibur wikia to come here. But I'll wait on advertising for now since it is kinda too risky at this time.

Back